• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Haruhi Anime Season's DVDs Mentioned in New Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
I hope "DVD's" doesn't preclude "BluRay" because I finally have a BluRay player and I really don't want to double-dip on Haruhi Suzumiya, especially when half of the second season is just "Endless Eight".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mabber36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I hope "DVD's" doesn't preclude "BluRay" because I finally have a BluRay player and I really don't want to double-dip on Haruhi Suzumiya, especially when half of the second season is just "Endless Eiht".

haruhi wasnt released on BluRay
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
Might wanna add that it wasn't just "almost endless" -- there were exactly 15,498 of them, the total number of iterations in the original story and the number of the second one we saw in the anime.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
Good luck on those promotions.

"Haruhi 2! Half as much as you thought you'd get!"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
Is there any way to purchase a special set that doesn't include "Endless Eight"? I like the rest of season 2, but I don't want to look like I'm supporting that awful stunt.

I'm assuming Bandai will include a dub on this release. I bet Wendee Lee and Crispin Freeman sure can't wait to deliver the same lines for eight episodes! Frankly, I don't see how Aya Hirano and Tomokazu Sugita got through it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
I don't get it. Haruhi, ZOMG HUEG ANIME BUY IT NOW, BUY 5 COPIES, apparently doesn't do as well as Bandai had hoped, despite being huge on the fansub scene, then licensed season two, which was probably loathed by the majority of the fansub scene. Not saying fansub scene and people who buy anime are mutually exclusive though. How are they going to market this? Even if they do a joke dub, I fail to see it going far when every episode is still exactly the goddamn same. What are they gonna do, have repeats of the same jokes as well?
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How are they going to market this? Even if they do a joke dub, I fail to see it going far when every episode is still exactly the goddamn same. What are they gonna do, have repeats of the same jokes as well?
But it isn't the exactly the same. Same plot, different script, different animation. spoiler[ And it's only 8 of the episodes. ] And despite what a few loud haters say, it isn't that hated.
AndrewSP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I hope "DVD's" doesn't preclude "BluRay" because I finally have a BluRay player and I really don't want to double-dip on Haruhi Suzumiya, especially when half of the second season is just "Endless Eight".

Was Haruhi even animated in HD? I know Japan never got Blu-ray releases of the show, just DVDs.

Anyways, my purchase of the second season (or season 1.5, depending on how you look at it) is completely dependent on the way Bandai handles this, and I'm not too optimistic. But hopefully, they may see Haruhi an an important enough franchise to dub without a TV deal. Plus, Bang Zoom already seems to be involved, so that's a good sign.

EDIT: Also, that's a pretty good English rendition of Super Driver.

Last edited by AndrewSP on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
How are they going to market this? Even if they do a joke dub, I fail to see it going far when every episode is still exactly the goddamn same. What are they gonna do, have repeats of the same jokes as well?
But it isn't the exactly the same. Same plot, different script, different animation.

You make it sound like that's an accomplishment. No it isn't verbatim episode by episode, but it's still the same thing over and over. They only change the episodes up by doing a variation in the activities they take part in.

And only 8 of the episodes is like saying only 2 and half of the 3 hours of Pearl Harbor is bad. That's more than half of the show.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
I would like to see Cristina Valenzuela in TMOHS because I liked her performance in The Familiar of Zero. Yes it wasn't as good as the Japanese voice actor, this coming from me, which I like dubs better then subs, but the Japanese voice actor for Louise, Shana and Tiga is just too hard to match up too let alone replace.
That being said, I like Cristy and she just ended up being overshadowed by the Japanese VA and didn't get the right or fair acknowledgment. So I would like to see her in this new season as someone, as long as that she doesn't take someones else's place, changing the dub from the last season.

This that said, I would like too say, Haruhi Season 2 confirmed @#CK Yeah, and it will be dubbed on top of that. 2010 is a good year for everyone so far and it just started. Razz

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
AndrewSP wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

Was Haruhi even animated in HD? I know Japan never got Blu-ray releases of the show, just DVDs.

2006 episodes, definitely SD.
2009 episodes, listed as not HD on the wiki.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You make it sound like that's an accomplishment. No it isn't verbatim episode by episode, but it's still the same thing over and over. They only change the episodes up by doing a variation in the activities they take part in.
People who haven't seen it actually have gotten the misunderstanding that they played the same episode 8 times. That is all I was trying to clarify.

Quote:
And only 8 of the episodes is like saying only 2 and half of the 3 hours of Pearl Harbor is bad. That's more than half of the show.
Well, it's really 8 out of 28 here, and you can actually watch two of them reasonably. It's just that they went on and on and on.

Edit: Corrected ep count lol.

Last edited by bayoab on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Oh, K-On! gets a BluRay release but Haruhi Suzumiya hasn't had one even in Japan yet, at least none I can find on Amazon.jp?

I bet they'll get a BluRay re-release after the movie, since I doubt there's any way the movie won't have a BluRay.

Feh, I guess I'll buy it, "Endless Eight" and all, and then double-dip on hopefully a complete set on BluRay in a year or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Trust me, there's no reason to double-dip for season 2. I would buy it once, and not right away.

It actually occurs to me I never finished collecting the first season once I had all the key episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zilan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
I think this is suicide for Bandai if they plan to release singles.

Also no blu-ray with JPN dub = no buy for me.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm assuming Bandai will include a dub on this release. I bet Wendee Lee and Crispin Freeman sure can't wait to deliver the same lines for eight episodes! Frankly, I don't see how Aya Hirano and Tomokazu Sugita got through it.

Might not be Wendee Lee. Some think Cristina Vee might be taking over for S2.

There are possibilities for joke dubs of E8. You only really need them for #3-7, because 1, 2, and 8 are different enough to work. Let's see...a Ghost Stories-style dub, a completely bizarro dub like whatever it was that Zoku SZS episode did, a dub where the American VAs do the original Japanese script, maybe a dub where EVERYONE knows about the loop...any other ideas?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6