• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Katanagatari (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote

Katanagatari

Genres: action, drama, romance
Themes: chanbara, historical, martial arts, ninja, swords, swordsman

Plot Summary: This story teakes place in the Edo era where Yasuri Shichika is the seventh head of the Kyotou school of Japanese sword martial arts living in Fushou Island with his sister Nanami. With the order from a female samurai general Togame, he sets out for a trip to collect the twelve treasured swords created by a legendary swordsmith Shikizaki Kiki.
----------------------------------

Index:

Episode #01
Episode #02
Episode #03
Episode #04

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

Well well well, this should be interesting. It is from the same author as Bakemonogatari, however it is being made by White Fox instead of Shaft. How that change will affect anything is uncertain, but at any rate it is unlikely that Katanagatari will be as successful as Bakemonogatari. Still, Hitagi and Koyomi certainly generate a lot of buzz, which may transfer over. The key word being "may".

It will be released in twelve one-hour OVA episodes, and we should get a new one every month. Such a drawn-out schedule does hint at a high-quality production, as there will be roughly twice as much time spent on each minute of program than in a typical production.

The filesize is really big (the file I'm downloading is 779MB), which is a crying shame. When will fansubbers learn that HD is only good if you have a monitor or television capable of handling it? They should at least offer a 480p version for those of us with small speeds and bandwidth.

I'm still downloading it at the moment, but I'll give a proper writeup in, oh, nineteen hours or so. See you then.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:05 pm; edited 5 times in total
tarheel91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode. I love the art style. Very similar to that of the video games Odin Sphere or Muramasa: The Demon Blade, if anyone's familiar with them.

You have to really pay attention to get most of the humor. A lot of it comes from nicely done irony, which only works if you're following along and trying to predict what's going to happen. Other stuff requires you to understand the situation very thoroughly. Some of it is just plain funny though.

Action looks awesome, even though there wasn't much of it.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote
[quote="dtm42"]
Quote:
Well well well, this should be interesting. It is from the same author as Bakemonogatari, however it is being made by White Fox instead of Shaft. How that change will affect anything is uncertain, but at any rate it is unlikely that Katanagatari will be as successful as Bakemonogatari. Still, Hitagi and Koyomi certainly generate a lot of buzz, which may transfer over. The key word being "may".

I've already seen people claiming SHAFT's writer is better than the one in White Fox/ Even though SHAFT just used Nisio's dialogue from the novels and even had him in studio during voice recording to rewrite things on the fly if needed.

That being said I'm not expecting too much, Katanagatari is on the bottom of the totem pole in regards to Nisio's light novels.

Zaregoto >> Bakemonogatari >>>>>>> Katanagatari.

Quote:
The filesize is really big (the file I'm downloading is 779MB), which is a crying shame. When will fansubbers learn that HD is only good if you have a monitor or television capable of handling it? They should at least offer a 480p version for those of us with small speeds and bandwidth.

I have an average monitor, the difference is telling. Not like you don't see reripped versions appear the same day on sites anyway...
zgripţuroicǎ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote
I thought it was an amusing show. It could go and be awesome, it could be mediocre, but I don't think it'll be terrible. I have mixed feelings about the art style. I liked the male lead's red highlight's in his hair, but didn't really care for the way the eyes were done. The story seems interesting, even if it is a little bit contrived. I'm not really feeling the release schedule, though. Togame is the only name I know for sure, although I think the guy is Shichikua, or something like that. But this may be one I'll simply have to marathon once it's all out, because I feel like one episode a month is going to have me saying, "Who is that again? What are they doing again, and why?" way too often.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the show, but I'd see the whole thing scrapped if doing so could somehow convince shaft to release the last couple episodes of Bakemonogatari, even though they're unrelated to this project. I want to see the rest of that damn story already!
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:02 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I have an average monitor, the difference is telling. Not like you don't see reripped versions appear the same day on sites anyway...

He complains because 'silly' fansubbers didn't learn how to provide low-rez version just for him. Poor fella... Also, dtm42 did you really have to pre-post? Afraid that someone evil, who won't bother with index, 'steals' your thread?

Anyway. Since I learned not to expect much from Katanagatari, as it was a rather rush job, I dived into first episode without much expectations but was pleasantly surprised to find a good enough premise and characters to keep me watching. The "simple" guy and wanna-be "strategist" is a rather original combo and should be hilarious to watch. The "find twelve swords (in twelve episodes)" is hardly original goal and the series does get on talky side but those are minor flaws, besides the dialogue is pretty good. Overall a good, somewhat refreshing series. Oh and I also like character design - unique.

I just wish it wasn't a whole month of wait between episodes.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
He complains because 'silly' fansubbers didn't learn how to provide low-rez version just for him. Poor fella... Also, dtm42 did you really have to pre-post? Afraid that someone evil, who won't bother with index, 'steals' your thread?

First of all, I didn't use the word "silly". I can only wonder at why you would put a word I didn't use in quotation marks like that.

Secondly, fansubbers exist for fans, at least in theory. While I appreciate the fact that I can watch Katanagatari at this point in time thanks to the fansubbers, thanks to the filesize I almost decided not to download it at all. You may think that I'm some sort of ingrate, but fansubbing is a market, one that works with credibility in the place of money. If I don't like the "goods", I'm not going to "pay" for them, and I'll take my business elsewhere.

So you're criticising the fact that I "pre-posted"? Geez, I only put it up less than a day before I intended to watch it. braves put up the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood thread six whole days before the first episode aired. I saw that Katanagatari was available to download, and seeing that there wasn't a thread yet I put one up.

As for having an index, well I do that for all the threads I put up (except the Code Geass R2 thread, but I was actually, er, unavailable for a lot of that). And this type of production needs an index more than anything else, given the drawn-out nature of the release dates.

----------

45.7% after 7h 23m. Freaking lovely. Well, at least I can always pause the torrent . . . . . .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
Oooooo, looks like somebody is a little miffed he didn't get a chance to start the thread first. No offense to anybody else, but I don't mind when dtm42 gets first crack because he is usually pretty rigorous about indexing, which gratifies my need for order. I'm sure I would have made an excellent fascist.

Anyhoo, watched this puppy and liked it. It was very talky considering they had a whole 40+ minutes to intro only four characters and a pretty simple story. Good thing I enjoyed the talky bits. I like Madam General - she's brassy and sassy the way broads should be. How can you resist a chick who orders, spoiler["Fall for me."] I'm a little sad that spoiler[Sis seems like she'll be staying on the island instead of partaking in the adventure. Oh well, maybe she joins in later on.]

I dug the character designs and overall look of the show. Anime raaaaaaaaaaaaaaawks!!!
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- I am not "miffed" that I couldn't start a thread. For one thing I didn't even know Katanagatari was out until I saw a thread for it in here, much less planing on writing up an opener post. Why I didn't like pre-post? When I start a thread or read someone else's first post their opinion is very important as it's very first. That post may sway people to picking up a show or skiping it altogether. That means first post carries a certain amount of responsibility, but here the "original" opinion is pretty much missing...

Dtm42, you really shouldn't have bothered with that 700+ Mb file with poor seed pool. Mazui released 593 Mb and 302 Mb files hours earlier and they have a lot of seeds. You want to compare fansubs to business model? Well it's a free market out there, you bought the wrong product but you blame developers for your mistake. Does "brand" mean a lot to you? Well then don't complain about filesize.
[/rant out]

Edit: some spelling and grammar.

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Now, now, Hentai_JP, I don't appreciate you spoiling my attempt to stir up bad blood between you and dtm42 by unnecessarily introducing actual facts into the equation. Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
Dtm42, you really shouldn't have bothered with that 700+ Mb file with poor seed pool. [Fansubber's name that was explicitly mentioned] released 593 Mb and 302 Mb files hours earlier and they have a lot of seeds. You want to compare fansubs to business model? Well it's fee market out there, you bought wrong product but blame developers for your mistake. Does "brand" mean a lot to you? Well then don't complain about filesize.
[/rant out]

First of all, mentioning a fansub group's name in the forums is a very stupid and illegal thing to do. I know, you want this thread to be deleted so you can make your own thread. Am I right?

Secondly, you think 817MB is smaller than 779MB??????????????????????

Yeah, as if I was going to download the first version when the second was still on its way. (Apparently the translator hadn't read the source material and made quite a few mistakes). But then the second was even more bloated than the first by a country mile. I'm happy I went with the other group, who's second version had come out before I started downloading the first, and proved to be marginally smaller.

Thirdly, burn.

Fourthly, now can we move this thread back to talking about the OVA, rather than about fansubbers?
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Please don't let drama start up in here Sad

Ok, I'm going to be flat-out honest but I found the first episode to be incredibly boring and quite dull (and I'm putting that in the nicest way possible)

I love the character designs but the dragged out dialogue just ruined everything for me, especially when it came to the action scenes. I know this isn't an action series (or is it? I never read the novels) but I thought talking during a fight was already pointed out as a big no-no.

It's even worse than those long generic shonen battle speeches you find in your generic shonen anime. The plot about collecting the swords and whatnot is as dry as cardboard and the characters....er, they're not very engaging to me.

I mean, Bake had ALOT of talking as well but hell, the visuals kept me more interested than this slideshow of a series.

I'll give this one more episode and see.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fourthly, now can we move this thread back to talking about the OVA, rather than about fansubbers?

Well, we could....uh...erm...

*blank stare*

...I got nuthin'.

Just kidding! Something I forgot to mention in my first post: I wonder why Shichika suddenly spoiler[changed his mind about not leaving the island with Togame? Are we supposed to take his statement that he has fallen for the white-tressed temptress literally?] Or is there something else at play here? What think you?

Last edited by Blood- on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This is my last off-topic post, sorry. I hope this doesn't get locked.

I went back to Teh Rules and didn't find entry that forbids mentioning fan-sub group names. I can't link or request a link but simply saying this is subbed by "them" and I like it more than "those" is not explicitly stated as evil. So don't worry dtm42, this thread is not going to get locked, at least not for this reason.

You know there is a v3 of the file you are downloading? It seems fansub groups are not happy with their translations and keep patching them... I see little reason to download latest version if I've seen, or am downloading, earlier one. So, whatever, get any version you want, big or small, but don't start threads bitching about how shortsighted fansubbers are.

Blood- I do think he's taken a liking for Togame, I don't think he loves her but he definitely likes her. I have to say that was as surprising revelation as Togame's "fall for me" line, not to mention hilarious as well. I also like the last of four conditions she made: "don't die", this time it's PERSONAL! Good stuff. I am also pleased that we already saw Togame naked (not exactly her but anyway). That's one thing about many anime series: I keep wondering if they'll show main heroines naked or not but I am happy when they do (and no longer think about it). Rolling Eyes

Oh and...
Quote:
Thirdly, burn.

This made my day. Wink
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode, especially it's sense of humor. The character design, however, I don't like at all, the eyes bug me a great deal in particular.
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Just kidding! Something I forgot to mention in my first post: I wonder why Shichika suddenly spoiler[changed his mind about not leaving the island with Togame? Are we supposed to take his statement that he has fallen for the white-tressed temptress literally?] Or is there something else at play here? What think you?

I liked the episode. A little slow, but I expect that now that we have the "why are we doing this?" plot out of the way, we can get to the kung fu fists o furry pew pew awesome fights.

As for Blood-'s post: I think it was because of the fact that she was the survivor of whatever rebellion and stuff happened at the beginning of the show. That's how she got that "Eye", although they never explained what that eye is...or if they did, I missed it. He feels sorry for her and wants to help her out. A Sins of the Father kinda idea?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13