• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Starting to take care of duplicate staff tasks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
braves wrote:
EDIT: I also encountered 絵コンテ清書 for the latest episode of Hourou Musuko. Any ideas for a translation?

I assume (not 100% sure) that it's "storyboard cleanup." Some directors' storyboards (such as Hayao Miyazaki's) are almost clean like publishable manga (and certainly better than Yoshihiro Togashi's "serializing" Hunter x Hunter), but others are so sketchy and hardly understandable, thus needs someone to clean it up.
Yeah, I was thinking something along those same lines. Ei Aoki is credited with "storyboard" on the episode in question. Seeing as how he did the first two with no help, I'm guessing he was in a rush and probably did the first draft.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
I was just recording, verbatim, what they used in those particular credits since getting an English translation directly from Japan is rare.
The noitaminA shows streamed by FUNi have mostly gotten translations for the OP. It's helpful to use those for reference, but they can't seem to agree how to read "新坂純一" (a producer). I've seen a couple of different readings for him. I guess I'll wait for the next season to see if there's some consistency.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
With Hourou Musuko the English credits are hard coded into the opening sequence along with the Japanese. Not the first time they've done this, but I think the first time I've seen it since this thread was started.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, haven't touched this thread in a while...

Just added the following to the translation table:

カラー => Color
クリーチャー => Creature
コーディネイト => Coordinate
スーパーバイザー => Supervisor
デザイナー => Designer
照明 => Lighting
文芸 => Titles
広報 => Press Relations
オフライン => Off-line
同人誌 => Doujinshi
プロデュース => Produce
マンガ => Manga
ミックス => Mix
コンテ => Storyboard
ホームページ => Homepage
2D => 2D
2D => 2D
プロデュース => Producer
プロデュース => Production
進行 => Scheduling
美術設定 => Set Design
清書 => Cleanup

Which resulted in these additional associations with existing English tasks as possible translations:

コンテ => Storyboard (24)
プロデュース => Producer (30) / Production (149)
プロデュース協力 => Production Assistant (279) / Production Coordination (368) / Production Cooperation (1647) / Production Collaboration (3031)
マンガ => Original Manga (185)
ミックス => Mixing (517)
照明 => Lighting (1780)
2Dワークス => 2D Work (1241)
2Dデザイン => 2D Design (7164)
CGデザイナー => CG Design (2086)
オフライン編集 => Offline Editing (3477) / Off-Line Editing (5543)
クリーチャーデザイン => Creature Design (905)
スーパーバイザー => Supervision (506)
製作進行 => Production Scheduling (3038)
進行 => Scheduling (1235)
音楽プロデュース => Music Production (205)
文芸 => Titles (274)
制作進行 => Production Scheduling (3038)
美術設定 => Set Design (330)
絵コンテ清書 => Storyboard Cleanup (4890)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Now to translate...

色彩指定 vs. 色彩設定
Do they mean the same thing? Color Setting?

協力
技術協力
衣装デザイン協力
作監協力
コンポジット協力
宣伝協力
特別協力
設定協力
キャスティング協力
デザイン協力
作画監督協力
制作協力
広報協力
演出協力
背景協力
製作協力
音楽制作協力
フランス語訳協力
プロダクション協力
プロデュース協力
主題歌協力
予告CG制作協力
原案協力
撮影協力
音響制作協力
企画協力
Collaboration / Cooperation / Coordination / Assistance / Coproduction / Co-[XYZ] ?
I'd be leaning towards Assistance except that would be easily confused with Assistant (補佐), so... Collaboration? 微妙...

進行
演助進行
製作進行
設定進行
文芸進行
仕上進行
動画仕上げ進行
美術進行
動画仕上進行
Advancement / Progress / Runner / Advance / Assistant / Coordination / Coordinator / Scheduling ?
Since we have Animation Runner Kuromi I thought we should use Runner, but then again if I look at Kuromi's job in the anime, it would perhaps be more easily understood as Coordinator? 微妙...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

I'd be leaning towards Assistance except that would be easily confused with Assistant (補佐), so... Collaboration? 微妙...

I agree on not using Assistance for the same reason. I think I tend to see "Cooperation" used more than "Collaboration" in entries so far. For instance, using the search feature, "Production Cooperation" yields 887 results compared to only 59 results for "Production Collaboration". Not really sure which one is better (between these two, I wonder which is more common on official English credits?), but it's something to keep in mind as there may be more inconsistency with existing information going with Collaboration.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
I do know of one English-speaking animator we could try asking for advice on particularly thorny problems:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=956753
http://twitter.com/crazynabe

We also have a background artist who has posted on our forums previously
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=325271

Dan42 wrote:
Now to translate...

色彩指定 vs. 色彩設定
Do they mean the same thing? Color Setting?

By the dictionary
指定 (shitei) means "designation/specification/assignment"
設定 (settei) mean "establishment/creation/configuration/assignment"
However, in anime settei is used specifically to refer to character layout sheets.

For a specific example, this is a settei sheet for Kiddy GiRL-and drawn by Megumi Kadonosono. This is the same with the colours designated.

In the OP for this series Eri Suzuki is credited with "色彩設定".
Each episode also has, above the colourist section, a person credited with "色指定・検査" (i.e. both 色指定 and 色検査) - Eri Suzuki again in the first episode but other people in the rest.

Since this series has both 色彩設定 and 色(彩)指定 they can't be exactly the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote
Here's a new one:

チーフ演出, Chief Enshutsu where Enshutsu is currently mapping to "unit director" IIRC so "Chief Unit Director".
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Here's a new one:

チーフ演出, Chief Enshutsu where Enshutsu is currently mapping to "unit director" IIRC so "Chief Unit Director".

"Enshutsu" has been discussed before

"Some suggestions about submitting cast and staff" pp. 3 & 4

"Starting to take care of duplicate staff tasks" (this thread) pp. 1 & 2

but I don't see a conclusion about it. IMHO "unit director" doesn't seem convey what I've read about it:

Anime Job Titles

Cindy Yamauchi Part I

I do realize that this is complicated by the use of the title for both serials and one-offs (TV versus movies and OAVs).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
That is the current mapping in play however:
"Task 演出 will be displayed as Unit Director"
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Just added the following to the translation table:

制作 => Creation
技術 => Technical
衣装 => Costume

Which resulted in these additional associations with existing English tasks as possible translations:

技術協力 => Technical Cooperation (254) / Technical Assistant (2446)
衣装デザイン協力 => Costume Design Cooperation (6150) / Costume Design Assistance (7043)
制作プロデューサー => Creation Producer (3143)
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I happen to have a side-by-side official translation of the Utena movie credits in which 協力 has been translated as "in cooperation with", like this:
Quote:
動画 -> In-Between Animators
[names]
協力 -> In Cooperation With
[names]

仕上 -> Colorists
[names]
協力 -> In Cooperation With
[names]

So for each job title, there is a 協力 subsection. This doesn't exactly allow an easy translation, but combined with the fact that the Encyclopedia contains more "cooperation" than "collaboration" tasks, I started translating the 協力 tasks as "cooperation".

But while doing that I discovered something interesting. A number of 協力 tasks have apparently been translated as "support". And even though it's less common than "cooperation", it seems to me like it's a much better, more natural translation. So I added the following to the translation table:
協力 => Support
協力 => Support (2408)
宣伝協力 => Promotion Support (4440)
特別協力 => Special Support (6661)
設定協力 => Design Support (1462)
制作協力 => Production Support (1974)
広報協力 => Promotion Support (4440)
演出協力 => Animation Director Support (5388)
製作協力 => Production Support (1974)
音楽制作協力 => Music Production Support (5555)
フランス語訳協力 => French Translation Support (6548)
プロデュース協力 => Production Support (1974)
技術協力 => Technical Support (2285)
音響制作協力 => Sound Production Support (6663)
作監協力 => Animation Director Support (5388)
作画監督協力 => Animation Director Support (5388)
デザイン協力 => Design Support (1462)
企画協力 => Planning Support (3313)
プロダクション協力 => Production Support (1974)

Any thoughts? Does it make sense to translate 協力 as "Support"? Does it make sense to also convert Cooperation and Collaboration to Support?

Last edited by Dan42 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
制作 => Creation

That would credit many animation studios with "creation".
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
That would credit many animation studios with "creation".

Yeah, it's not a good translation, but I have to say it bothers me that 制作 and 製作 are both translated as "Production". So I added that term to the table just in case it matched existing tasks, but it only matched "Creation Producer".
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

メインアニメーター: Chief animator

I have just recently added the メインアニメーター task for an Otoboku credit. Should we go for the more literal translation of "Main Animator" there?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
I have just recently added the メインアニメーター task for an Otoboku credit. Should we go for the more literal translation of "Main Animator" there?

Japanese call all movie premieres "roadshow" (ロードショー), even if it's a big budget movie premiered at Chinese Theatre. Same applies for オナニー, a term with biblical references but understood by most 18+ anime watchers. Embarassed

Seriously, it's not obligatory to re-translate a loan word, especially if such a word is not commonly or correctly borrowed in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10