• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Writer Discusses Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
@ CareyGrant: The ethnicity of the characters is of little concern to me. Aside from which, the whole core cast--with the exceptions of Saito and maybe Aramaki (beyond his name, I mean), and the PM if we are looking at SAC--is bleached in my opinion.

Now regarding 3D touch-ups, I hope that the studio doesn't piss away any money on those--not going to happen==because the effect does nothing for me (it doesn't detract either, mind) in any movie that I've seen. Avatar was a markedly better experience in 2D due to the lack of glasses and cheaper ticket.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant, while you're totally right about America fixing what isn't broke, I bet the people who read the GiTS manga also believed that when the movie was announced that the book was as good as it was going to get.

I think if America can get away with adapting anything, it's a foreign horror film, and that's only because people will tend more to overlook bad acting as long as the movie is scary.

As some dude who calls himself Yotaru Vegeta, I should have been first on line to see the live action Dragonball, but they royally screwed that up. So even if big names are on this project, my expectations for this adaptation have been lowered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
toru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Japanese Otaku on the 2ch call this project "Ghost in the Shell Evolution" .
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
Like the manga, Kalogridis said the upcoming movie will have "a lot of action … lots of action."

One should hope, for the sake of the current fanbase, that those producing this will be wary of the fact that the action sequences were not the primary reason for this franchise to have become as endearing as it has. Action needs to be included to set the scene and unravel the mystery, but contemplative screenplay — for want of a better phrase — will be requisite.

This.

Action was a part of the manga, films and TV series appeal. The fact that she reiterated ACTION! twice gives me great concern. The drama that unfolds between these interesting characters is what gives the action sequences meaning. It what makes you care on an emotional level, instead of just chuckling through another 'run and gun'. This is true for the manga, film and series. If any film is easy to make a mess of, it would be this one.

The fact that Kalogridis was an executive producer for Avatar is another cause for concern. Especially in the light that she will be a writer for this film. Avatar was stunningly beautiful film, but the writing was sub-par at best, and in many cases just didn't make a lick of sense. I hope she is not going to bring that sort of template to the table with Ghost in the Shell.

jdnation wrote:
I prefer Oshii's way of spacing the thoughtful stuff around rather than the dump-everything-at-once or so-technical-it's-alienating method of the manga.

I think that's fair really only when talking about the second manga. The first one talks about technology (it is a science fiction story) but does so in a way that is easy to follow and not confusing. The same can't really be said about the second iteration. So I agree with you, but only about the second manga. The first one wasn't that difficult of a read. I think it appropriately transfers you to a different world while setting up the scenes for the characters to confabulate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Thinking on strategies for the "Ghost In the Shell" live-action movie, I agree that using lots of action has been important in doing a cyberpunk movie for years. Like any other film industry in the world, Hollywood is a hard-working industry with great Sci-Fi storytelling talents.

To be honest, I find that the important thing is that Spielberg and his team are trying to disctinct this upcoming live-action film from the Japanese "GITS" manga and Anime while using their creative talents, and I don't care much about whether or not any characters from the "GITS" manga will appear in it as long as a lot of die-hard Sci-Fi fans in Canada and U.S. are willing to accept the movie as the start of a separate continuity.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hollywood is a hard-working industry

Indeed. Drinking cocktail and partying every night, while driving home, drunk, and on their Ferrari, getting caught by the police and spending 50 thousand dollars with a top-class lawyer to get them out, is as hard working as it gets.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Hollywood is a hard-working industry

Indeed. Drinking cocktail and partying every night, while driving home, drunk, and on their Ferrari, getting caught by the police and spending 50 thousand dollars with a top-class lawyer to get them out, is as hard working as it gets.

er, think about the 90% of people who work their behinds off, sleeping under desks and pulling 18hr days... and not the exec pri*ks that run some of it...
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
They already made a Ghost in the Shell movie. It's called The Matrix.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
er, think about the 90% of people who work their behinds off, sleeping under desks and pulling 18hr days... and not the exec pri*ks that run some of it...

I was thinking about the actors, not executives. The executives also sleep in their office, with their secretaries "working their behinds off" for the whole night. Either way, to call a billionaire entertainment industry "hard working" as a whole seems so misplaced.
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
They already made a Ghost in the Shell movie. It's called The Matrix.

"The Matrix" and "Ghost In The Shell" are two different franchises, despite being cyberpunk tales. It's just that the creators of "The Matrix" were influenced by the manga in terms of visual style. Each title however focuses on a different subject matter: "GITS" is about cyborgs as police officers while "Matrix" is about distinction between reality and virtual reality.
confusedprogrm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
The Matrix was influenced by Oshii's film, not the manga.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
the current screenwriter for Dreamworks and Steven Spielberg's planned live-action adaptation of Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell cyber-police manga.

i thought it was gonna be cgi

So would I. well at least with this support & with it being 100% based of from the original manga,it's definately gonna be better than the diasters like DB,SR and Astro Boy. Those three adaptations sucked like hell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
How is Ghost in the Shell like the Matrix? They both have to do with computers? Also, I don't think that Neo is as badass as the Major is offline.

Even if they were the same, should you just never bring a movie to the screen because it even has the vaguest of similarities?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AoiHonou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm imagining Carrie Ann Moss reprising her role as Trinity a.k.a Motoko Kusanagi.
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll only see as long as some of the original characters are in it, for the story I don't mind what it'll be about as long as it's well written or atleast has a good atmosphere that atleast makes the whole concept entertaining.

But hopefully they won't go to the same approach as the Dragon Ball Evolution movie did. Cause I'll be steamed if they ruin Major Motoko's character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5