• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Writer Discusses Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Live action anime adaptations have failed miserably time and time again. (You could say the same for ALL live action adaptations of animated material) The reason is that they're redundant.

But like Bart Simpson, they keep reaching for that cupcake no matter how many times they get zapped.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Live action anime adaptations have failed miserably time and time again. (You could say the same for ALL live action adaptations of animated material)

Well I guess we should count our selves lucky they aren't adapting any animated material then. Unless of course you count manga as animated material.

In any case, how have adaptations failed time and time again? Unless you literally mean they failed with Speed Racer and once again with Dragon Ball. That's not exactly a trend. In fact, even if you include Astro Boy there's only been a few instances of them even trying.

The fact is that Hollywood has yet to actually try adapting anime or manga that is mature and intelligent and at least somewhat suited to mainstream cinema goers tastes. I don't see how you can talk of some constant result at this point. We'll see how it goes. Based on some of their work with other comics though I see no reason for immediate pessimism.

Quote:
The reason is that they're redundant.

Why? Because they've already been adapted? Stand Alone Complex laughs in the face of this comment.
hakojo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Quote:
The reason is that they're redundant.

Why? Because they've already been adapted? Stand Alone Complex laughs in the face of this comment.

I think that's the point - this film is already redundant just because its source material has been adapted twice already, with different spins put on it each time. And of course they're not going to adapt the manga straight up, because it's all over the place, they'd have to hand out a little time-stamped packet to everyone who went to see it with the sidebar notes as they applied to the film, and the Oshii films are probably the best known adaptation of GitS here in the states, so they're going to want to keep some of what he put into it and avoid alienating people who saw those movies years ago and might be interested enough to want to see this new movie.

Now, at first this seems like a good thing, because the action and snark from the manga + Oshii's long-winded philosophical discussions = (basically) SAC, right? Which is cool with me, because that's easily my favorite bit of the franchise. However, SAC works precisely because it has all the length of a TV show to play around with. It doesn't have to pick a mood and stick with it like a film would - you can have the serious episodes (like Lost Heritage, Affection, or pretty much any one with Batou as the central character) and then follow them up with the softer ones that are more about fanservice and blowing stuff up (like Not Equal, Idolatry, and Cash Eye, which is probably my favorite episode in the whole series just because it's so stupid and fun.) This is why, of the three ends of the franchise, manga, movies, and TV show, SAC probably has the most likeable cast - there's just so much more time to show all of the different sides of these people, and you understand and identify with them more because of it. And, as they proved with Solid State Society, you just can't mush all of this down into a movie and have it pack the same punch, even when your characters are well established already. Sure, the last three minutes of SSS featured some brilliant writing and directing, but when the rest of the movie is just making me go "what the hell, why did that happen? And now they're doing something else?", that's not good.

So basically this leaves us with the question, "Just what are they going to do with this movie to make it something new that would actually sell well and yet possibly appeal to existing fans already?" I'm not saying it can't be done, but given what I know of American cinema, not to mention the people involved in this project already, I'm extremely skeptical.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
They already made a Ghost in the Shell movie. It's called The Matrix.
No, it's called "Blade Runner" Wink
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Exctly! Get your snarky comparisons right. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
I think that's the point - this film is already redundant just because its source material has been adapted twice already, with different spins put on it each time. And of course they're not going to adapt the manga straight up, because it's all over the place, they'd have to hand out a little time-stamped packet to everyone who went to see it with the sidebar notes as they applied to the film, and the Oshii films are probably the best known adaptation of GitS here in the states, so they're going to want to keep some of what he put into it and avoid alienating people who saw those movies years ago and might be interested enough to want to see this new movie.

So you're saying that SAC was okay because it put a new spin on it and the movie will not do this. That makes no sense. If SAC, an anime directed at the same fanbase, was willing to put their own spin on it why on earth is a Hollywood adaptation which will primarily have to attract non-fans be more likely to be redundant. It seems downright crazy to me to say that a Hollywood adaptation is going to be so close to the movie that it's going to be redundant. If anything it's the other end of the spectrum, excessive changes that's concerning.

Quote:
So basically this leaves us with the question, "Just what are they going to do with this movie to make it something new that would actually sell well and yet possibly appeal to existing fans already?" I'm not saying it can't be done, but given what I know of American cinema, not to mention the people involved in this project already, I'm extremely skeptical.

Fine, be skeptical. Don't try to tell me that the very concept of adapting an anime is redundant though as bravetailor did.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Romuska wrote:
They already made a Ghost in the Shell movie. It's called The Matrix.
No, it's called "Blade Runner" Wink

Woah! It's almost as if Sci-Fi movies often share common tropes and deal with similar topics! But no, what am I saying? That's just silly.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
There are so few live action adaptations that actually follow the original material to the letter. There's no way I expect this adaptation to follow the manga closely. You know Hollywood loves to americanize things, for example.

For instance, in Dragonball (which I just recently watched, YECH) they felt the need to jam character histories together for the sake of not having the time to explain backstories.

Ghost in the Shell is more "real" and I don't expect them to have to mess with the story too badly, but if you know the story backwards and forth, I bet you'll be disappointed in what parts they exclude from the film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hakojo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

So you're saying that SAC was okay because it put a new spin on it and the movie will not do this. That makes no sense. If SAC, an anime directed at the same fanbase, was willing to put their own spin on it why on earth is a Hollywood adaptation which will primarily have to attract non-fans be more likely to be redundant. It seems downright crazy to me to say that a Hollywood adaptation is going to be so close to the movie that it's going to be redundant. If anything it's the other end of the spectrum, excessive changes that's concerning.

What I'm saying is that the spin SAC put on the manga, which seems to be the direction this new movie is headed as well, from what's been said about it so far, worked precisely because SAC was working within the medium of a TV show that had a lot more flexibility when it came to mood and setting, and that even though the TV series part of SAC was great, when they tried crunching it down into a film, it was not so great.

My overarching argument is that you've got basically every watchable part of the "what can we do with Ghost in the Shell?" spectrum covered already by the manga and the animation, so either this film is going to be so close to one of the existing incarnations as to be redundant, or it's going to play up the boobs and violence in an attempt to make something new of itself. Honestly, I'd rather see the former, but as you said, it's unlikely that they'd put the money into remaking something that's had more than a fair shot at succeeding on a broad scale already.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:59 am Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
What I'm saying is that the spin SAC put on the manga, which seems to be the direction this new movie is headed as well, from what's been said about it so far

Very little has been said so far. Nowhere even close to enough to formulate a real idea of what it will be like.

Quote:
My overarching argument is that you've got basically every watchable part of the "what can we do with Ghost in the Shell?" spectrum covered already by the manga and the animation

So now adapting manga is redundant? The thousands of anime that stick close the the source manga would beg to differ. In any case, you're being way overly simplistic. There are numerous different directions such a project could go in. Boiling to down to 'either the Oshii way or the SAC way' is ridiculous.

Quote:
I'd rather see the former, but as you said, it's unlikely that they'd put the money into remaking something that's had more than a fair shot at succeeding on a broad scale already.

Nonsense. Simply by being animated, Ghost in the Shell has been denied a shot at broad scale success. It's found plenty of success within the niche circles that are accepting of animation. However, the majority of movie goers do not fall into this niche. Hence the whole reason they're doing a live-action adaptation.
hakojo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Very little has been said so far. Nowhere even close to enough to formulate a real idea of what it will be like.

I'm just going based on the "lots of action" and "some of the elements from the Oshii films" quotes. If that isn't SAC in a nutshell, it's something very close to it.

ikillchicken wrote:

So now adapting manga is redundant? The thousands of anime that stick close the the source manga would beg to differ.

Isn't the whole point of an adaptation to take the source material and somehow refine it for a different medium? I've always found anime that's slavishly faithful to a manga incredibly boring. I've actually run into a rather unique case with NANA - I saw the anime first, and now I have absolutely no interest in keeping up with the manga because they're exactly the same thing and I don't want to pay for it twice. So adapting manga is not redundant, but making an exact copy of it is. And really, there is no way in hell they're going to replicate the manga perfectly for this project, so I'm not bothered about that.

ikillchicken wrote:

In any case, you're being way overly simplistic. There are numerous different directions such a project could go in. Boiling to down to 'either the Oshii way or the SAC way' is ridiculous.

Obviously there are a ton of different things they can do with it, but I'm drawing a blank trying to think of any that I might actually want to see, or at worst, that wouldn't be somehow insulting to the source material.

ikillchicken wrote:

However, the majority of movie goers do not fall into this niche. Hence the whole reason they're doing a live-action adaptation.

The majority of moviegoers thought that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was worth spending money on. Make of that what you will.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gonna lie, but it'd be pretty kick ass if they did a voiceover of the dub cast from the Gits series on the movie. I've grown so accustomed to hearing both the Japanese and the English, it'd be weird watching it without their renditions.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
I'm just going based on the "lots of action" and "some of the elements from the Oshii films" quotes. If that isn't SAC in a nutshell, it's something very close to it.

Come on, that's crazy. You've just spend all this time telling me how different SAC is and now you're saying that it's just the Oshii films + action?

Quote:
Isn't the whole point of an adaptation to take the source material and somehow refine it for a different medium?

Well look, you'll have to agree to disagree with me (and most anime fans) on this. I think honest adaptations are certainly worthwhile. I think though if you're going to say this, you'd also have to concede that an anime adaptation is way more likely to be an exact copy than a Hollywood one. That being the case, I don't really know why you'd complain about this but still be an anime fan.

Quote:
The majority of moviegoers thought that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was worth spending money on. Make of that what you will.

They were pretty wild for the Dark Knight as well.
hakojo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Come on, that's crazy. You've just spend all this time telling me how different SAC is and now you're saying that it's just the Oshii films + action?

...What? I said that the approach SAC took to retelling Ghost in the Shell worked because SAC is a TV series and not a movie, and that I can't see a film that did end up taking this approach working itself, just because the SAC movie was kind of disappointing. I think I've always said, on this forum, elsewhere on the internet, and even in conversations with people, that SAC is the happy medium between the manga and the Oshii movies. It's basically a good chunk of the manga recut into a more linear, coherent story, with plenty of the more thoughtful, human elements that Oshii brought to his interpretation added in for good measure. Still, atmospherically, I would say that SAC is still much closer to the manga, so manga + thoughtfullness/the characters actually being likeable it is.

ikillchicken wrote:

I think though if you're going to say this, you'd also have to concede that an anime adaptation is way more likely to be an exact copy than a Hollywood one.

You're still overlooking my original statement; they've already done pretty much everything with Ghost in the Shell that I would actually want to see. I can't think of any new spin on the story and characters that would appeal to me personally (aside from some kind of Section 9-meets-The Office screwball comedy, which would absolutely rock), and if it's just going to be like one of the existing adaptations anyway, I'd rather watch that instead. In essence, I'm being an unpleasable fan. There, I said it.

ikillchicken wrote:

They were pretty wild for the Dark Knight as well.

Fair enough. However, The Dark Knight had the advantage of the Batman brand name to help it out and to gain word-of-mouth momentum. Even if they got some big names signed on for it, a Ghost in the Shell movie would still be hampered by the fact that its existing fanbase is relatively small, not to mention that a decent chunk of it is probably just as persnickety and pessimistic about this project as I am.

Anyway, my larger point was that while some good things are marketable, not all marketable things (in fact, very few marketable things) are good.
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
hakojo wrote:
As I've said before, there's just no way they can sell Ghost in the Shell as it was originally written to the general American movie-going public. Either it's going to do horribly or they're going to knock out the thinking parts and boob and violence it up.

I'm betting on the latter.

If they omit the plot and the still yet superb scenes where it made us think and philosophers on important stuff, just like Stand Alone Complex did then you just lost thousands and thousands of people right there.

For me, the gist of Ghost in the Shell is the deepness of the plot, the themes talked about and the truth unveiled upon a possible future. How intelligent it was brought to screen in the series and the GitS movie was just brilliant so don't take that away. I know americans are seen as a ruthless bunch of whackers, so to speak, by other countries but nobody is stupid or low level here.

We have intelligent minded fans and movies viewers. This is one of the movies that can trigger a lot of aspect that nobody thought about but makes us think deeply, very deeply, about those new technologies, this new era and the impact it has on our daily lives.

Nowaday people research their stuff and check what the movies will be like because of the internet. So it's very possible to have those same people want more out of their experience in a theater.

I know for sure that what stood out from GHOST IN THE SHELL was the approach on the cyber technology and the series philosophy. The Major became highly popular because of how she handled things and her personality. The whole team was very special with a unique set of qualities and approach but Katsunagi was above everyone else's pace. She was frightening, yet kind. Lovable but cold, yet sexy and beautiful. Cunning and mature like no other woman I've seen in anime or movies.

So when we talk about Ghost in the Shell, it's not, for me, the action that made the series stuck in my mind but the psychological factors that did. Action was excellent too but the mental aspect is not the kind of psy sci-fi thriller stuff you can find often, even today.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
This is the aspect of filmmaking that I do not envy. When you try to take a licensed property and bring out in another format, you have to try and make some sort of balance between the diehard fans and joe/jane mainstream.

I think the mainstream would think that the GiTS TV show was too talky- but millions of people watch CSI, NCIS and whatnot, so I don't know how hard you can get with your philosophizing and deep conversation about humanity's existence.

Especially since now Avatar is making Hollywood think that the new fad is DumBeautiful. James Cameron wrote a simple-ass script with simple-ass dialogue, and a ton of people went to see it.

I'm not saying that Hollywood are all just money-grubbing, but I think that they don't want to just satisfy the fans- while not turning a profit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5