• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bakemonogatari Vol. 4 Blu-ray Sells 48,000 in 1st Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:

ESPECIALLY since you can't even get this in the US, without finding a fansub.

Sure you can get it.

Just need a bit more motivation.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
Most of us don't speak Japanese, and would therefore still need fansubs, hissatsu.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Most of us don't speak Japanese, and would therefore still need fansubs, hissatsu.

I realize that, but I was just referring to the claim that you can't get it. I need subs as well for a title like Bakemonogatari, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to be licensed (if ever.) And once I've seen it with subs, I don't really need them for a rewatch.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I realize that, but I was just referring to the claim that you can't get it. I need subs as well for a title like Bakemonogatari, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to be licensed (if ever.) And once I've seen it with subs, I don't really need them for a rewatch.

Seriously? For this show?

Either you can flash memorize 400 lines of dialog an episode or you just like the pretty pictures...

This show lives and dies on clever dialog and flashes of obscure kanji-filled screens for less than a second.

Native Japanese people have issues understand it without pausing and rewinding (or an encyclopedic knowledge of the original novels).

That being said, I think this show will be available in the west one of these days. Might take a year.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:

Seriously? For this show?

Either you can flash memorize 400 lines of dialog an episode or you just like the pretty pictures...

I didn't say I don't understand any of it, I said I needed the subs for this show. I don't need to remember all of it, I only need to remember what I didn't understand on my own. I don't know why people think of language comprehension as a yes/no matter. I have memories of not being fully fluent in English (Spanish is my first language) and not knowing words for things. But it's not as if I was unable to communicate or understand anything.

Quote:
This show lives and dies on clever dialog and flashes of obscure kanji-filled screens for less than a second.

Native Japanese people have issues understand it without pausing and rewinding (or an encyclopedic knowledge of the original novels).

Nobody could read all the screens full of text that flash by without pausing, regardless of language or fluency. If I want to read those screens I'd have to pause it the same as anyone else, but I really don't see the need to do it more than once or twice. And frankly I've already watched the episodes more than once even before the Blu-rays were released.

Quote:

That being said, I think this show will be available in the west one of these days. Might take a year.

I have my doubts. The only licensor I can see being able to afford it is Funimation, and their Blu-ray releases have been of rather iffy quality.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't have to be released on Blu-Ray. Anime fans in North America tend to be choosy with how they spend their money, and DVDs are perfectly fine in terms of audio and video quality. If I were a licensor I would try and release it as a complete boxset and on DVD.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It doesn't have to be released on Blu-Ray. Anime fans in North America tend to be choosy with how they spend their money, and DVDs are perfectly fine in terms of audio and video quality. If I were a licensor I would try and release it as a complete boxset and on DVD.

I think if it's not licensed in a year aniplex should put english subs on the inevitable Japanese Blu-ray box set and sell another 1000 copies or so overseas.

But hopefully someone in R1 takes a chance on it.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It doesn't have to be released on Blu-Ray. Anime fans in North America tend to be choosy with how they spend their money

That's one way of putting it. Most don't buy anything, regardless of price when it's available for free somewhere.

Quote:

DVDs are perfectly fine in terms of audio and video quality. If I were a licensor I would try and release it as a complete boxset and on DVD.

You lost me there. I'm not buying any DVDs when a non-upscaled Blu-ray release already exists.

samuelp wrote:

I think if it's not licensed in a year aniplex should put english subs on the inevitable Japanese Blu-ray box set and sell another 1000 copies or so overseas.

But hopefully someone in R1 takes a chance on it.

Well, it would be nice if the more releases were like the recent Mai-Hime blu-ray box (and the upcoming Mai-Otome blu-ray box). English sub and dub included. Lossless audio for all tracks. But very, very few Japanese releases are like that.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:

To me, "done in a rush" means roughly the same as "half-assed". They did not put in the effort to completely animate scenes, possibly due to time/budget constraints... which is forgivable the first time, but when pretty much every show by the studio has the same quality problems, I think it goes beyond poor planning and into the realm of "screw it, let's just put together whatever we can as cheaply as possible and try to sell it".

Well, that is what sets them apart from the other Studios, for me Shaft has a unique way of animating and releasing their shows that they possible stubble upon with one of their first shows and a result it did relatively well. Thus they used the same procedure and it was a success, what is wrong with that. They are just using what works.

As I see it this type of animation and releasing is like American's movies "Jackass" there is no real point to doing what they do and some people really hate it, but others just love it. You either hate it or love it, there is little in the between. So that is my view on it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
You lost me there. I'm not buying any DVDs when a non-upscaled Blu-ray release already exists.

What I'm arguing about is that there's no point selling this on Blu-Ray as foreigners won't buy it in the numbers necessary. And I might be wrong, but I think a loss on an unsold Blu-Ray DVD is higher than on an unsold normal DVD.

If you can think of another distribution method that currently works and which currently makes money, other than DVD, then I'd like to hear it.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

What I'm arguing about is that there's no point selling this on Blu-Ray as foreigners won't buy it in the numbers necessary. And I might be wrong, but I think a loss on an unsold Blu-Ray DVD is higher than on an unsold normal DVD.

DVD only releases when HDTV and Blu-ray rip fansubs are already floating around only provides ammo to the "fansubs are better" crowd. And seeing as how Funimation is currently releasing loads of badly upscaled Blu-rays, one would hope that they or someone else would release actual HD Blu-rays as well. It doesn't cost any more than releasing the upscales that are already being released. FMA: Brotherhood is getting a simultaneous Blu-ray/DVD release. I can only hope they don't manage to screw it up.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
In the current R1 DVD climate, I hate to take anything for granted, but I'd be surprised if Bakemonogatari wasn't released here. I don't agree that Funi is the only one who could afford to license it, but I hope it's them since that means automatic dubbage, thank yew very mooch.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Any chance you wanna take your head out of your ass and wake up and smell SHAFT's marketing ploy (release unfinished episode, shell out the dvds with finished episodes and new animation and extras) then I'll take your word for it :roll:

You do realize that this isn't the first time SHAFT have done this and neither of those times did the sales explode in this fashion. I think a Mariaholic episode was 29 minutes long on dvd instead of.. uh 24 minutes for tv for instance. Hidamari Sketch and Moon Phase had episodes as bad as the 10th episode of Bakemonogatari. Quit acting like this only selling because of the "improvements", the first volume is still the highest selling volume in the series (until next week I guess!) and had the least amount of changes.

SHAFT are generally the best in the business for adding stuff and fixing things to their dvd releases. They're also the worst at time managing stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4