• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney's Trial Gameplay Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I wish they'd drop the 3D models and return to a wholly anime-style character design for the non-anime scenes.

3D models were attempted in Tokimeki Memorial 3 for the PS2, and they looked butt-ugly in comparison to the traditional anime look.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:

3D models were attempted in Tokimeki Memorial 3 for the PS2, and they looked butt-ugly in comparison to the traditional anime look.

You realize that quite a few VNs now use 3d models, right? And using a PS2 game from years ago is a really terrible comparison.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:

You realize that quite a few VNs now use 3d models, right? And using a PS2 game from years ago is a really terrible comparison.

Yeah, but I've never seen them adapt anime-style models successfully. It's one gripe I have with Zero Escape and the new Layton game on the 3DS.
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mind Miracle Mask's 3D models. Those designs are rather basic and work fine as 3D models.

That being said, if they ever scrap the hand-drawn animation for 3D-model cutscenes, I shall pitch an ever loving fit.

The Ace Attorney 3D models are a different story, though. Those eyes are much more detailed than most of the eyes in Layton. It's kinda awkward to watch in 3D after being used to the 2D version for so long.

But BONES is animating the cutscenes so I dont' care PLEASE LET THIS COME STATE SIDE I'M BEGGING HERE!!!!!!!
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
This is... really cool. I've never played Naruhodo/Wright in Japanese, so I was wondering how complicated it might become (considering I suck at the games, even in English), but since I was able to finish the latest "Kiseki no Kamen" Layton game without that many hiccups (actually, I paid more attention to the Japanese, so I figured most of it out well), I might just be able to do it!

Come this Thursday, I will likely be venturing over to the Toys'R'Us over here and grabbing it with my 1000-yen-off Christmas special coupon.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
As long as they character designs aren't like the uber-ugly polygons used in Alundra 2, I'll be satisfied.

darcerin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
I would LOVE it if it came out over here! *pokes Nintendo America* Do eeettt!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1