• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-02-03

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
OnanRulz wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The title is still weird. Either stick to the Japanese or stick to the English, don't mix them up and obfuscate both meanings. I don't care what the Japanese licensors wanted, it seems that most of the time they're dead wrong.

I'm... I'm not sure I understand this. You want American distributors to disobey the license instructions, assuring that product (or any future licenses, for that matter) is no longer distributed in America?

I suspect he replied to the wrong thread and is probably talking about the Dragonball Kai/Dragonball Z Kai "name change"

No, I'm talking about how it's "Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit" which is like saying "Guardian - Guardian of the Spirit" Why not just go Seirei no Moribito or "Guardian of the [Sacred] Spirit"? There's no need for the Japanese word to be tossed in.
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
That's one heck of a book-light! Idea How many LED bulbs does that thing use? lol
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quote
@walw6pK4Alo: I think it's similar to how Geneon did "Higurashi- When They Cry". You'd normally get either "Higurashi no Naku Koroni" or "When the Cicadas Cry". But the fans raged over a complete name change, and leaving it completely in Japanese would help ensure it stayed on store shelves after those who knew what it was had bought it (not like that didn't happen anyway). And it's also a double translation, as the use of the pronoun "They" in the translated part of the title is referring to the untranslated first word of the title. It's been done before, it'll be done again. It's not that big a deal.

PS> Awesome strip. Myoopi eating a book light? What could have prompted it to do such a thing?
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone notices, but whenever I read Anime News Nina, I feel like I'm watching panels in animated sequences. Weird.

This week's episode is bloody brilliant. Very Happy
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:39 am Reply with quote
Well, there's the La Brea Tar Pits, and the Spanish-speaking people around there don't seem to mind.

I'd suspect it doesn't matter if it's Moribito or Dragonball Kai; if the Japanese contractors want it to be called something specific, the American company is bound to do so if they want to save face with their supply of shows.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:09 am Reply with quote
Shouldn't Nina be running to the vet instead of guarding Myoopi?... considering the harmful stuff inside of electronics
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:45 am Reply with quote
Score one for Moribito references. Wink (somber Balsa approves)
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
Egads! How I love Anime News Nina!
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
@walw6pK4Alo: I think it's similar to how Geneon did "Higurashi- When They Cry". You'd normally get either "Higurashi no Naku Koroni" or "When the Cicadas Cry". But the fans raged over a complete name change, and leaving it completely in Japanese would help ensure it stayed on store shelves after those who knew what it was had bought it (not like that didn't happen anyway). And it's also a double translation, as the use of the pronoun "They" in the translated part of the title is referring to the untranslated first word of the title. It's been done before, it'll be done again. It's not that big a deal.

PS> Awesome strip. Myoopi eating a book light? What could have prompted it to do such a thing?

Actually, "When They Cry" is used in the original sound novels:
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
So, when we get the seasonal candy in at work, we usually get some sort of light-up gummi or lollipop... can we expect to see something like that from Myoopi soon? Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Moribito reference = epic
Senna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
This comic was made especially awesome because I just finished reading the first Moribito novel last week (and will start on the second one soon).
nishime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
[quote="leafy sea dragon"]Well, there's the La Brea Tar Pits, and the Spanish-speaking people around there don't seem to mind.

la = the, brea = tar, so the place is being referred to as "the the tar tar pits" essentially. I think Americans are the last people to care about redundancy in their speech. There's tons of foreign phrases which get 'the' added to them even if they already include 'the' as a part of the foreign phrase.

How often have you heard the phrase 'the Na Pali Coast' in a sentence? Or 'the hoi polloi'? Or 'the El Segundo' anything?

Redundant nouns are the last thing anyone should worry about. It's just the language trend of the 21st century.
mckg1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Lol, these strips are awesome. This might be the 4 best strip, yet! More!! lol Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
That was great. That's what happens when you get hooked on anime. Poor Kevin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3