• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-02-03

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
The faces in these series specific strips kill me. This serious Balsa face was spot on.
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
To quote Terry Bogard, "Get Serious!"
Sticks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
lololololol......... Very Happy
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
samuelp wrote:
OnanRulz wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The title is still weird. Either stick to the Japanese or stick to the English, don't mix them up and obfuscate both meanings. I don't care what the Japanese licensors wanted, it seems that most of the time they're dead wrong.

I'm... I'm not sure I understand this. You want American distributors to disobey the license instructions, assuring that product (or any future licenses, for that matter) is no longer distributed in America?

I suspect he replied to the wrong thread and is probably talking about the Dragonball Kai/Dragonball Z Kai "name change"

No, I'm talking about how it's "Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit" which is like saying "Guardian - Guardian of the Spirit" Why not just go Seirei no Moribito or "Guardian of the [Sacred] Spirit"? There's no need for the Japanese word to be tossed in.

While it's true they could have just named it the "Guardian" series, Moribito is a pretty smart choice for a name. Why? Because it's searchable. If I search for "guardian" on google, I'll come up with a lot of unrelated pages. "Moribito" only brings me to pages related to the series. And since there are more stories than just Seirei no Moribito, that's important. I think it's a fine name.
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Balsa face is awesome.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ralphmerridew wrote:
Actually, "When They Cry" is used in the original sound novels.

Thanks for reinforcing my point. Though I would like to point out, I was talking about the anime (with my Geneon reference), and the anime had no such subtitle on it.

BleuVII wrote:
While it's true they could have just named it the "Guardian" series, Moribito is a pretty smart choice for a name. Why? Because it's searchable. If I search for "guardian" on google, I'll come up with a lot of unrelated pages. "Moribito" only brings me to pages related to the series. And since there are more stories than just Seirei no Moribito, that's important. I think it's a fine name.

QFT
Mikeski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
nishime wrote:
Redundant nouns are the last thing anyone should worry about. It's just the language trend of the 21st century.
And hey, they give us something to laugh at. (Or argue about on internet forums.)

I know I get a chuckle out of it every time I drive by "Vista View Elementary School".

And it's not just English. "Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu"?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Shouldn't Nina be running to the vet instead of guarding Myoopi?... considering the harmful stuff inside of electronics
Considering what happened back in strip #26, I kinda doubt Nina goes to the vet unless Myoopi's REALLY messed up.

nishime wrote:
la = the, brea = tar, so the place is being referred to as "the the tar tar pits" essentially. I think Americans are the last people to care about redundancy in their speech. There's tons of foreign phrases which get 'the' added to them even if they already include 'the' as a part of the foreign phrase.
People do it with acronyms too. Lots of people say "the HIV virus" and "ATM machine."

Complainers just need something to complain about though.

I love this strip. I just picked up the Moribito collection from Wal-Mart and I'm halfway through it in 2 days. It's one of those great shows you wish more people would watch but you know a lot of people won't because it's too good. You know?
usagidoshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Nina's fiercly protective look in the second to last panel, with the happily glowing Myoopi in the background is just too funny. Well done!

Time for Kevin to get with it and cosplay Tanda.
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:17 am Reply with quote
nishime wrote:
How often have you heard the phrase 'the Na Pali Coast' in a sentence? Or 'the hoi polloi'? Or 'the El Segundo' anything?

Redundant nouns are the last thing anyone should worry about. It's just the language trend of the 21st century.

I don't think it's a trend per say, it's more like English speakers in America just don't know what all those foreign words mean. I'd say the majority of us don't speak a second language of any kind so we really don't know what it is we're truly saying. The words strung together are just "a name."
stopher87

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what book light candy taste like?
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:32 am Reply with quote
Love it! Now for a fight scene...
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
stopher87 wrote:
I wonder what book light candy taste like?

Maybe the candy will glow-and-dark Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Vicserr wrote:
Shouldn't Nina be running to the vet instead of guarding Myoopi?... considering the harmful stuff inside of electronics

I doubt the vet would want to deal with Nina a second time.

animenewsnetwork.com/thumbnails/max600x1000/cms/anime-news-nina/22627/comic-26.jpg

Then again, that was 4/23/2008, so nearly two years have passed.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The faces in these series specific strips kill me. This serious Balsa face was spot on.

Indeed! But why did it take Nina sooooo long to discover Moribito? It became my favorite when Adult Swim started showing it in 2008!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3