• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon to Host Yoshida Brothers of Wii Ad Music Fame

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharonlover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
interesting, I'll have to check them out Smile
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
I'd note that the Yoshida Brothers have released six CDs in the US: Yoshida Brothers (2003), Yoshida Brothers II (2004), Yoshida Brothers III (2006), Hishou (2007), and Prism (2009), plus a 2008 Best Of collection. US releases of Ibuki and Move are due in March - the Japanese releases were previously available only as imports, though many tracks appear in the early US CDs.

(By the by, the curious might also check out CDs by Agatsuma, who also plays the Tsugaru-jamisen.)
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
(By the by, the curious might also check out CDs by Agatsuma, who also plays the Tsugaru-jamisen.)
I remember hearing that Wii ad and saying to myself, "Hey, I've got that on CD!" (which doesn't often happen to me with ads). Anyway, both artists (Yoshida Brothers and Agatsuma) are excellent. A nice mix of traditional folk tunes and more pop-sounding stuff. If any of you are lucky enough to get a chance to see them live, please do it on behalf of those of us who can't. Failing that, check out their YouTube clips-- I find myself just staring at their hands and wondering how they can do that so fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Do any of their songs have lyrics? In any case, the song from the Wii comercial is great! I catch it on Pandora from time to time.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Uh-oh, guest list started. ^^ awesome.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Do any of their songs have lyrics? In any case, the song from the Wii comercial is great! I catch it on Pandora from time to time.
Not really, unless they have a guest performer such as Remy Zero's Cinjun Tate doing the vocals for their really hauntingly beautiful cover of Brian Eno's "By This River" (listen here). The Brothers themselves also guest star in Monkey Majik's song "Change" (watch PV here), which is more rock-oriented. Most of their stuff is instrumentals though-- but don't let that put you off! Sometimes it's a really refreshing alternative to the usual hyper-caffeinated J-pop scene (not that there's anything wrong with that of course, just sayin'...).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
*head tilt*

...Okay. Cool I... guess...
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
They are great live...I'm not really crazy about traditional shamisen music, but they make it exciting. If I lived on the East Coast I would totally go.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Nermal wrote:
They are great live...I'm not really crazy about traditional shamisen music, but they make it exciting. If I lived on the East Coast I would totally go.

Fortunately I do (live in MD in fact) so lucky me. I think this is great news personally. Otakon always gets 1 or 2 bands to come to it every year but it's nice to have something a bit different than the normal j-pop and j-rock that they get5. Don't get me wrong I enjoy that too but it's nice to get something a little different every now and then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1