• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: You Higuri Resumes Cantarella Manga After 4-Year Break

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
celaine420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
Anyone think there's a chance Go Comi will eventually continue to publish this series? I mean, they're already having problems meeting any kind of release date with Crown and Ultimate Venus, among other series.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
celaine420 wrote:
Anyone think there's a chance Go Comi will eventually continue to publish this series? I mean, they're already having problems meeting any kind of release date with Crown and Ultimate Venus, among other series.

That's a bit harsh considering the current recession is making everyone reschedule books. We have no promise of anything from Tokyo Pop ever seeing the next volume even when there's a release date given. I picked up their catalog at Comic-con & that even has books scheduled for publication that have since fallen into the TBD wasteland.
I honestly believe all these licensees in anime & manga are doing the best they can in a horrible situation. Realistically everyone's been cutting back (OK, I'm sure there are some people not affected or who maybe are in a better position so they can spend more than they did last year) "Do I need to follow 5 titles, or can I slide on 1 or 2 or 3?" Do you really believe they're deliberately screwing with the readers/buyers of anime? They want to piss off their customers?
But in tough times where they're maybe barely scraping by, they can't pad out the release of title C with the profits from Title A. They aren't becoming filthy rich off this stuff. A decent profit is hoped for, but probably not happening right now.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh yay! I've been waiting for this news since, well, she took a break four years ago. Smile
celaine420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Actually I didn't think it was harsh at all.

There's a difference between being honest about your situation and pushing back release dates and just letting them slide endlessly; the former I can understand and I'm willing to wait patiently for those publishers who are reassessing the environment. The latter just make me think they're barely treading water. I have no information to indicate otherwise.

There is nothing on Go Comi's website about the slipping dates for any series. In fact, there's pretty much next to nothing for the year 2009 in their news or forums. Tokyopop may drop the ball by dropping series but at least they've given us some new, reasonable dates for other series.

Yes, everyone's had to cut back, but constantly missing short changes in expected dates only exacerbates the situation. It's not unlike a student who says that they'll get their late paper in "tomorrow" and it never shows up versus the student who assesses why they couldn't finish in time and makes a reasonable guess at when they can get it done and sets an appropriate deadline.

This is not to say that I don't like Go Comi's series or the work they've done so far. I really do enjoy these series and look forward to more. I'm just tired of being in the dark about what their situation is.
darcerin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The day she actually starts on Almost Legendary Shannon, and I see it in print over here is the day I start buying Go Comi! stuff.

I was so excited about this series, and NOTHING's been done on it at all. This was the series they were supposed to launch with, and we've seen nothing of it at all. I'm so terribly disappointed that I haven't had the heart to pick up any of their other stuff in the meantime. I know that's harsh, but...yeah. That's how I feel.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Though I have never read her works, I wonder why she took that long of a hiatus. It isn't too surprising for manga to take long breaks. Huntert X Hunter, anyone?
Amikitty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Though I have never read her works, I wonder why she took that long of a hiatus. It isn't too surprising for manga to take long breaks. Huntert X Hunter, anyone?

The reason Higuri put Cantarella on hiatus was because she wanted to finish her other manga "Crown" (which is now finished) before she continues with Cantarella.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Yay!! More Cantarella! I've been in love with this manga for a few months now! But I check my local Borders to buy the books but they're NEVER there! I don't know why (though I managed to find the first volume of 07-Ghost easily)! I wanna buy the books!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1