• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Katri, Girl of the meadows

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaygon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
This cartoon (Katri, Girl of the Meadows, English translation) was broadcast on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom as part of 1987's Japanese Autumn season. Although there were 49 episodes of the cartoon ,Channel 4 only broadcast the first episode from the series and the last episode from the series a week apart respectively.
The title of the cartoon as it was broadcast was 'Little Girl on the Farm' (first episode) and 'Little Girl goes to School' (last episode from the series?).
I have a query relating to the broadcast which I hope someone can
help with. Officially, this cartoon was never dubbed into English until 2005. It was dubbed into French, German, Spanish, Italian but only ever originally received English subtitles (released into the English market as Katri, Girl of the Meadows)
The two episodes which were broadcast by Channel 4 were definitely dubbed into English (hence the variant English titles). I remember the English language specifically and the newspaper for those days states 'English Soundtrack'.

Channel 4 say they were not responsible for the dubbing of these two episodes. They say that the episodes were distributed by FUJI TV. FUJI TV mention on their website that none of their shows have ever been dubbed into English. I'm trying to figure out who was responsible? As I say, internationally, no 'official' English dubbing occurred prior to 2005. This would have
been August/September 1987. I remember the first episode very fondly in English.

Hoping someone can help.

Jay
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
jaygon wrote:
This cartoon (Katri, Girl of the Meadows, English translation) was broadcast on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom as part of 1987's Japanese Autumn season. Although there were 49 episodes of the cartoon ,Channel 4 only broadcast the first episode from the series and the last episode from the series a week apart respectively.
The title of the cartoon as it was broadcast was 'Little Girl on the Farm' (first episode) and 'Little Girl goes to School' (last episode from the series?).
I have a query relating to the broadcast which I hope someone can help with. ...Channel 4 say they were not responsible for the dubbing of these two episodes. They say that the episodes were distributed by FUJI TV. FUJI TV mention on their website that none of their shows have ever been dubbed into English. I'm trying to figure out who was responsible?

You seem to have already asked Channel 4 about the dubbing matter.
How about asking Nippon Animation, which is the company that produced the Katri anime, about the matter?

You can find the link to the e-mail form here:
http://www.nippon-animation.co.jp/privacy/faq.html
Click green 'メールフォーム'.

In the mail form,

お名前 ※必須 → Your name. (Requisite)
メールアドレス ※必須 → Your e-mail address. (Requisite)
ご住所 → Your address.
TEL → Your telephone number.
お問合せ内容 ※必須 → Type your inquiry into this section. (Requisite)

確認画面に進む → Proceed to the web page where you check the things which will be sent to Nippon Animation via that e-mail.

Last edited by hyojodoji on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jaygon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I have e-mailed Fuji TV. I will also e-mail Nippon now. Thank you for your advice!

Thanks
Jay
jaygon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Apologies but I do not see this option :Click green 'メールフォーム'. on the page when I click the link.
jaygon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I have found it! Thank you! Smile
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
jaygon wrote:
I have found it! Thank you! Smile

It's a pleasure.
I hope you will receive a good reply from Nippon Animation.

jaygon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
Nippon say that they have no record of this! I have also e-mailed Fuji TV but their Faq does indicate that they do not produce English dubbed versions of any of their animations! I know this existed! I even have the newspaper clippings to prove it!
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
jaygon wrote:
I even have the newspaper clippings to prove it!

Hmm...how about sending inquiry letters with which a photocopy of the newspaper clippings is enclosed to Channel 4, Fuji TV and Nippon Animation about the dub version of Katri via snail mail?
I would be not surprised if the companies don't have many documents about a 25-year-old one-off licence/broadcast, though.

The address of Fuji TV is:

Fuji Television Network, Inc.
Daiba 2-4-8
Minato-ku
Tokyo 137-8088
Japan

The address of Nippon Animation is:

Nippon Animation Co., Ltd.
Ginza 7-10-11
Chūō-ku
Tokyo 104-0061
Japan

It may be better to also write, 'Re Sekai Meisaku Gekijō, Makiba no Shōjo Katri' on the envelopes that will be sent to those Japanese companies.

jaygon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
I have already e-mailed all three channels and am still waiting to hear back from FUJI TV. I had no luck with Nippon or Channel 4. Channel 4 insist that the program was dubbed before they recieved it. FUJI indicate on their website that they NEVER produce English language versions of their programs. I sent a copy of the newspaper snippets with the e-mails. Do you think a letter would be more successful?

It is really annoying me Sad For years, I could not remember the name of this cartoon (only having ever seen one episode). I put up messages all over the web. I had some of my wires crossed and seemed to recall that Katri's father had given her a puppy in the first episode rather than her mother.

I remembered the farm and the fact that she was an 'orphan' (of sorts) I remembered the dogs name to be 'Mable'. The dog's name was actually 'Abeli' but may have been dubbed as 'mable' in the English version...or I just mis-heard it.

I remember the little dog in the basket being given as a present specifically. I doubt there were too many other Anime cartoons during that era with the exact scene in which a little blonde girl on a farm is given a present of a little brown dog in a basket! (although I did think it was her father that gave it to her)

Can I attach an image on this thread and I will include the newspaper snippets?
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
You can put an image on Photobucket or imgur then insert it into a post using the img tag.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
jaygon wrote:
Do you think a letter would be more successful?

Often letters, if written properly, are regarded as more formal and can receive better treatment than e-mails.
So it might be not a bad idea to send inquiry letters to those companies via snail mail.

jaygon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I think you are right. Have you seen the first episode of Katri? Judging by my description, does it sound to you like this was definitely the cartoon I saw?

Maybe there was another very similar anime around this time?
jaygon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
jaygon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
jaygon wrote:
Judging by my description, does it sound to you like this was definitely the cartoon I saw?

Judging from your description, what you watched seems to be the Katri anime.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2