• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Katri, Girl of the meadows

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Not dissimilar to the case of Brave Story. The UK release has no information whatsoever regarding the English dub or who made it, and despite it having recognizable American voices in the cast it has never been released there.

I know that subtitles have been made for sales purposes but never heard of a dub, although it is not out of the question if those are in fact the only episodes that have been dubbed. Has it ever been broadcast in another other countries that might have furnished it with an English dub ala Animax?

Channel 4 could be mistaken - it was a long time ago now. The BBC infamously did a gag dub of Urusei Yatsura as "Lum the Invader Girl" so such things are not impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jaygon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Any suggestions as to the name or title of the person I should address the letter to. at FUJI TV?
jaygon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
The other episodes having been dubbed is always a possibility......British Film Index, however, only list the two episodes. They are of course not listed as episodes of a series. Each was given a title 'Little Girl on the Farm' and 'Little Girl goes to School'. 'Little Girl goes to school' is tagged as a 'sequel' to 'Little Girl on the Farm'.

I also did an online check of a newspaper archive and television guide for everything between 1984 and 2005. Channel 4 have only ever broadcast these episodes once and they have not shown up on any of the other British or cable channels.

Ps The entire series WAS dubbed into many European languages....but English was never one of them (with the exception of a 2005 project which worked on the first few episodes)

I will write to FUJI TV
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
jaygon wrote:
Any suggestions as to the name or title of the person I should address the letter to. at FUJI TV?

I have seen an overview chart about the organisation of Fuji Television, but I don't know which section is likely to have a staffer who may know about the 25-year-old one-off anime licence/foreign broadcast.
So, as I said, it may be not a bad idea to write, 'Sekai Meisaku Gekijō, "Makiba no Shōjo Katri" ni tsuite.' on the envelopes that will be sent to those Japanese companies.
And how about also writing something like 'Please pass this letter to a staffer/section in your company that is likely to know about this matter' in the letters?

Allosteric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Hi Jaygon, I'm not sure whether you are still looking into this but I might have some information that would be useful.

I spoke with Jonathan Clements and he mentioned a fan had been in touch with him about this particular anime. I'm interested in it from an archavists perspective.

I've got access to the Channel 4 Press Packs from the time, which do indeed confirm Little Girl on the Farm and Little Girl Goes To School as having been broadcast in 1987 with an english soundtrack. It gives no more details that you don't have except the name of the press officers and commisioning editor at the time. If you want there names PM me, you might be able to trtack them down through linkedin, etc and see what they know.

Hope this helps!
jaygon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Many thanks for the response. I have just sent you a PM!

Indecently, I am the person who contacted Jonathan and I'm guessing if you Google the subject matter, you will find me all over the internet posting this query.

I'm really glad you have made contact : Having already contacted Channel 4, Fuji and Nippon, I was about to give up hope.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr Matsudo Takaji, who was a producer of World Masterpiece Theatre anime at Nippon Animation and also produced the Katri anime, now has his own anime production company and still works in the anime industry.
Since he may know something about the Channel 4 broadcast of Katri or may have some useful information, it may be not a bad thing to inquire that matter of him.
Again, probably a letter via snail mail will be regarded as more formal than an e-mail.

Mr Matsudo's address is:

Mr Matsudo Takaji, Representative Director
Vega Entertainment Co., Ltd.
The 15th Mitsugi Building 7F
Miyamachi 2-15-13
Fuchū-shi
Tokyo 183-0023
Japan

jaygon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
Many many thanks for your suggestion.

This is, of course, worth a try.

I will definitely write to him. I will keep you updated.

Jay
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
jaygon wrote:
...does it sound to you like this was definitely the cartoon I saw?

I dug up novelisation version of the Katri anime and re-read it.
In the first chapter, her mother gives her a dog, and she names the dog Abel. Her mother has to go to Germany in order to work there. In the final chapter, since Mrs Kuusela, a rich woman who employs Katri, helps Katri to receive an education, she goes to school.

jaygon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
Yes, this is 100% the English dubbed cartoon i saw in 1987, even the name of the dog matches.
jaygon

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I have just sent a letter to the above Gentleman via snailmail as suggested : Hopefully he will issue a response Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2