• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-01-29]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that is such..........a bizarre letter. Not because it's a fake complaint letter to Taco Bell, but the fact that someone took their time to compose it and just ah. IT BOGGLES THE MIND.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
That Taco Bell letter pretty much distracted me from the rest of the column. I hope he's kidding both about you and Taco Bell, I really do.
AnimeAngel00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I HONESTLY knew folks that written mind numbing, senseless letters to coporations (Funimation, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Amazon on its treatment with anime/manga products, etc.) and were dead serious about it. Rolling Eyes

Someone agrued on the phone about how to fix his camera many years ago. We can't fix the camera if we don't know if it's digital or film and the model. He wouldn't tell us and yelled for an hour, saying, "Fix my camera!" We went through all the cameras, and he still yelled, "Fix my camera!" The next day, the dude wrote SEVERAL down right nasty (but extremely well detailed) letters on how we treated him poorly, we sucked as a company, he'll sue, blah, blah, blah, blah. This went on for a few weeks.

I'm hoping for Brian sake that the dude's joking. Confused
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
The flakes of the week really cracked me up. And I'm not sure what to say either about the Ichigo ventriloquist doll...
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
That picture with the pillows and the guy wearing that Lucky Star shirt was so awesome... whats even better is I own all of that stuff Very Happy

As for goofiest anime merch evar.. I have an Excel Saga figurine(you know those boxed ones that you have to buy to find out which one is in them) of Misaki (you know that person that works at city security or whatever) and she's just kinda standing there, with Menchi sitting at her feet... it took forever to get the stand to work and now it just looks so odd.

Also I have a Blackwar Greymon action figure from the 90's, and his front horn has gone missing. He looks incredibly goofy without it.
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
That flake of the week is... um... very special....

...what exactly would chibi vampire kids' toys be like?
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
The good Ms. Winters is one of my best friends, and her homemade plushies are awesome and terrible to behold.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow I never thought The Answer Man could piss me off more than he has tonight. Maybe he should add himself to the Flake of the Week. Well to quote Keith Olberman "Answerman you are THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD!"
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
When I read that Taco Bell letter, I laughed so hard I teared up. I showed it to some of my colleagues at happy hour and we all had a good laugh - real or not, it's a hilarious way to end the week. Thanks, Answerman.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh good grief, KingOfHarts. The least you could have done was bury your face in one of the pillows.

But now, time to buy a stove pipe hat and prepare my State of the Union address. No pics, sorry.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAngel00 wrote:
I HONESTLY knew folks that written mind numbing, senseless letters to coporations (Funimation, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Amazon on its treatment with anime/manga products, etc.) and were dead serious about it. Rolling Eyes

I sadly knew one of those people too. He wrote one to G4 and then actually tried to brag about how they never responded to him and he "so told them off." Rolling Eyes What's worse? He was about 22 or 23 at the time. Needless to say I don't hang out with that guy anymore.

Taco Bell Note wrote:
And this is my fifteenth letter this month on this very subject. Like I said; I really don't care.
Somebody's in denial... ( Rolling Eyes + Laughing )^3
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I almost want to get an iPhone just for that hilarious kissing sim...

The goofiest anime merchandise I own would be this absurdity from Spencer's:

http://www.amazon.com/Anime-Japanese-Love-Doll/dp/B000RJXR18

Haven't opened it yet though, probably should even if just to photograph what the doll inside looks like.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Man... you just gotta love those self rubbing, flamebait style emails. It's always nice to see that "F*** the system your a tool" type logic fall just short of realizing the irony of their actions. "I knew you were gonna react that way cause I intended it too! You tool for being predictable! That fact I'm aware I'm being retarded, makes me better then you! The fact that you replied means I win! The fact you don't reply, ALSO means I win! Look at my short sighted pseudo-superiority that only I can see!!"... Nerd rage. Tis truly a sad, delusional thing.

I wonder if this guy is aware that:

1) ANN has no connection to Taco Bell and
2) That ANN and Answerman have no greater influence on things like Cons and CR or other forums besides ANN or works of animes then any other reporters or news sites.

When I read his letters; he really gives of the impression he's like a very, very new anime fan who writes to a anime magazine wondering if Ash and Misty from Pokemon are ever gonna get married or why that magazine or columnist was responsible for why the Naruto fillers sucked.

Unless... Shocked Brian?! ARE you in charge of Anime Fandom and all things Anime like he says?!?!? Can you ban him from the fandom?!?! Is that the true powers of the Answerman?!?! If so I wish to be the Anime Czar of all things Tacos and I want Ash and Misty to get married. Now. And Zac! How could you surrender such powers!?!?!

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Just to note, the "unofficial fan forums" for the Taco Bell letter didn't pop up in a quick Google search. Just saying~
And weirdest bit of anime merch. Well, I do have one of the phone book sized manga magazines from Japan and having a phone book sized magazine entirely in Japanese and with some strange ads in the end should count for something.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Is that flake supposed to be funny? It was puzzling up until the fake Taco Bell thing.

Weirdest anime related merchandise? Bought an ex a Hello Kitty "massager" from Peter Payne himself. Would have sent in a pic if we were still together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5