• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Canada's YTV Removes Naruto, Bleach From Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
pepper_gray wrote:
I don't see why everyone is so bent out of shape. The article states that the channel was running reruns. If you've watched an entire series, do *you* tune in to watch it all, including the filler episodes, over and over again? I sure don't.

The problem isn't the TV station. They're doing what they need to do to maximize their advertising revenue and stay on the air, which is increasingly difficult for any TV station lately as they fight with a slew of other channels, as well as the Internet, for market share.

The problem lies with the industry, really. There was an artificial abundance of shows a few years ago as companies rushed to get new series, as well as back catalogs, out the door as quickly as they could. Now we have no back catalog and we have to draw from what a niche industry in a small country can produce in one year, but we can't simulcast it too closely or we risk running out of programming when we need it, and we can't wait too long because then no one will watch it.

If I were in charge of the world I'd love to see Elemental Gelade on broadcast TV. It's good enough that people will follow it for a season - and coincidentally, there's only one season, so advertisers will have something new to advertise during (with a higher buzz level because it's new) in a few months. Maybe we need to be pushing shorter shows rather than long series.

It's not the shorter shows, it's just that you need more shows for better result, Of course Naruto Shippuden needs to be on air and Bleach, but now they screw up badly. I really am worried how they take care of anime programming, because it will affect us. Also I have an feeling that Cartoon Network is screwing up badly as well, so you're not alone.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
pepper_gray wrote:
I don't see why everyone is so bent out of shape. The article states that the channel was running reruns. If you've watched an entire series, do *you* tune in to watch it all, including the filler episodes, over and over again? I sure don't.

YTV was the main source of anime on TV in Canada. With it's lack of commitment goes any hope for mainstream anime in the country.

And it's the channel that chose to run the repeats. It had been running new episodes until a few months ago. But they had slipped so far behind even the US that no fan of the show could stand to wait until they got around to airing the episodes. It's YTV's lack of effort and commitment that drove the fans away.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Great news! Now if they can see how well One Piece is doing in Japan and can take a hint, maybe this will go somewhere~
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Like many others, my first exposure to anime was from YTV.
From a channel that once aired Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, Witch Hunter Robin, .hack and many others, it's a shame that they ended up having almost no anime in their current schedule.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I feel kind of bad doing this, but if anyone wants to reflect on days past watching Bionix, I set up a Facebook group.I miss Bionix
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:42 am Reply with quote
pepper_gray wrote:

Wink I have my dad's shaw PVR box set to record Naruto and Bleach despite already seeing every episode we're ever going to get out here.

They may be re-runs, but for TV they make good background context. And even though YTV yet-again restarted Bleach they were in the middle of one of my favorite sets of episodes when they cut it off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3