• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Toradora! as Its First Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I'm not really interested in Toradora!, but knowing that Pandora Hearts will be coming out soon is awesome news to me. ^^ I love almost anything with the "Alice in Wonderland" theme, so I'd love to check this out (especially dubbed, if they do that).

I'll just say don't get your hopes up too high about Pandora Hearts. It wasn't all that good, aside from having Yuki Kajiura music.

It's good to know there's a new licensor in operation though. I just hope they put some effort into it and don't just put out those lazy sub-only releases.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I am in shock. This awesome news regarding Toradora! came completely out of left field. The only question is: Will it be dubbed? I'm not optimistic, considering the fast release schedule, but who knows. I'll be buying this regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Karisu wrote:
Really hope they do Blu-Ray releases for these.

Production cost aside, I don't think any of these shows were released on Blu-Ray in Japan yet, so they almost certainly won't be released on Blu-Ray in North America first.

Seljuk wrote:
Toradora is a typical romantic drama (not comedy). It starts generically, gets crazy awesome in the middle, and sinks to an unbelievable level of fail towards the end.

On the contrary, I would say that the ending ties things back to the premise/setup/motif at the beginning rather well. If you take the first two episodes and then watch the last two episodes, it becomes rather clear how the episodes in the middle were all building to the end goal. Of course, not liking it is one thing, but I don't think there's anything fundamentally flawed in the structure of the show. I suppose YMMV, as always...
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Wait, I hate being a downer here, but this is NIS America, the US subsidy of Nippon Ichi Software:

http://terminalgamer.com/2010/02/05/nippon-ichi-software-suffers-massive-operating-profit-drop/

that just posted a 95% drop in profits from last year?

Hmm, a company with a freefalling parent corporation decides to get into the anime licensing business in this market?

Why do I not see this ending well?

That being said Toradora being licensed is great news.

Maybe it has something to do with their anime licensing business to have yet to turn a profit.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Toradora finally licensed, and by a newcomer to the market. That's great news on both fronts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

Don't know much about NIS.

Well it's simple. Do they dub their video games? If yes, then there is a better than 50% they will dub this. Quality? Yet to be determined.

As far as the news I am all for new entrant into the market. Love Funi, but they don't release everything I want to buy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
alifemde

Awesomely fantastic news!... Two things: Blu-ray Toradora please, and "Palmtop Tiger" sounds so much better than "Handheld Tiger".
That is all Smile
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Was kinda hoping FUni got this one. Still good to see that NIS got a helluva title to start off with. Very Happy
VanGosroth

Awesome!

!!!!!!!

Best of luck to them! I hope they do well.

Fill in the gap I have been feeling since Geneons departure! /beg :p
redcar

Cloud668 wrote:
Am I the only one who isn't happy with this news? Seeing how much of a failure their localizations for Disgaea 3 and Cross Edge are when compared to the original Japanese scripts, I really do hope that another company would have picked it up than NIS, considering how Toradora is one of my favourite shows.

You're not the only one. I'm very skeptical about this, since I'm still not over the horrible job they did of localizing Ar Tonelico 2 (nigh-unavoidable text buffer errors that crash the game, removing Japanese voicing to match the parts of the dub they couldn't finish, lots of Engrish near the end showing a generally unfinished product, etc.). Given that they generally do a good job on their high-profile releases though, I suppose I should give them the benefit of the doubt with Toradora. I really do hope they treat this one with care, I'd hate to see such a good show get the same bad treatment as other good things like AT2.
Everminde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes, Pandora Hearts!

I wonder if they'll include the extras that were on the DVD releases? That would be sweet. Smile
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Cloud668 wrote:
Am I the only one who isn't happy with this news? Seeing how much of a failure their localizations for Disgaea 3 and Cross Edge are when compared to the original Japanese scripts, I really do hope that another company would have picked it up than NIS, considering how Toradora is one of my favourite shows.
I understand where you're coming from, but NISA's game scripts (which are the same even when using Japanese VA) are based off of the English dub. Unless that practice carries over into dubtitling, maybe it won't be an issue.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Shirachi-ko wrote:
Hell yes, Pandora Hearts!

I wonder if they'll include the extras that were on the DVD releases? That would be sweet. Smile

Oh, those cute little omakes? "Pan-dola Hot-su~"

That'd be grand. (Long live teacher!Gil...)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
relentlessflame wrote:
Karisu wrote:
Really hope they do Blu-Ray releases for these.

Production cost aside, I don't think any of these shows were released on Blu-Ray in Japan yet, so they almost certainly won't be released on Blu-Ray in North America first.

Seljuk wrote:
Toradora is a typical romantic drama (not comedy). It starts generically, gets crazy awesome in the middle, and sinks to an unbelievable level of fail towards the end.

On the contrary, I would say that the ending ties things back to the premise/setup/motif at the beginning rather well. If you take the first two episodes and then watch the last two episodes, it becomes rather clear how the episodes in the middle were all building to the end goal. Of course, not liking it is one thing, but I don't think there's anything fundamentally flawed in the structure of the show. I suppose YMMV, as always...
i havnt checked these anime, but almost all anime in the last few years get bluray releases in japan. even really really crappy ones. toradora PROBABLY got one but again, i havnt checked.

i didn't like any of these anime enough to BUY but still nice they're getting licensed..except persona.that anime was lame. pandora hearts i never finished but i enjoyed what i saw.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Always, always overjoyed to see a new anime licensing company surface, no matter how unusual or unexpected the source.

I gleamed a bit of Toradora! online about a year ago and it looked pretty cute and funny, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it dubbed. Not to mention the other titles. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17