• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think this last episode showed how they are going to handle it. Instead of the regular credits, they overlapped the credits with the extra scene. Rather clever and alleviates the problem of losing important information for the next episode(s).

Yeah, I think it's a rather ingenious solution to the runtime issue, felt cool, perhaps kind of inspired by how first episodes of some animes (or finales) sometimes end with scenes playing while the credits role instead of an ED sequence to make for an extra-long intro episode. Smile

Yeah, Charred Knight, that was a pretty great scene only having known Marcoh from the first series since I'd never read the manga.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Which other eps had extra scenes again because it seems like they only did that once and I can't remember at the moment.

Finally got to see last week's ep and Armstrong's VA did a fantastic job and got her down right away, man I love this franchise.

Some of her crew were nice additions too.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as somebody who isn't a big fan of the dub, the Briggs crew's dub VAs are pretty much perfect in their roles. Stephanie Young's Olivier, Jason Douglas's Miles, and Phil Parsons's Buccaneer are excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
they're good but I loved the japanese Oliver
DragonFire212

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Which other eps had extra scenes again because it seems like they only did that once and I can't remember at the moment.

Many of the episodes have extra scenes (in addition to or instead of previews), but most of them don't really matter in the plot. The only one AS has shown that I've noticed was EP29 (discussed previously) and it was somewhat important.

EP30: spoiler[Envy enters Marcoh's cell discovers his body (about 2 sec long) - leads right into the start of EP31]
EP31: Preview only
EP32: spoiler[Ed & AL on a train, having small talk about seeing the snow when they arrive in the north (about 6 seconds)]
EP33: spoiler[May & Marcoh locate where Scar's brother's research documents are hidden. May: "A combination of alchemies from Xing and Amestris. I wonder if there's anything in here about immortality". Marcoh: "I hope there is. Will this become a book of hope, or of despair? Let's begin the analysis!"]
EP34: Preview only
EP35: Preview only
EP36: spoiler[Mustang is in a car with a woman. Mustang: "Kimblee?" Woman:"I heard from a friend who works as a nurse at the foot of Briggs. He was hospitalized with serious injuries, but his wounds were healed right after Lt. General Raven came to visit, and he was released right away. " Mustang: "Raven and Kimblee..." Woman: "That's about all the information I have for today." Mustang (hands woman envelope): "I'll ask for your help again when I need it". Woman: "stop by my shop again, OK?" Woman exits vehicle. A street vendor selling flowers, to mustang: "you were dumped, eh? Why don't you buy some flowers and chase after her?" Mustang: "I know when to give up" Vendor: "there are women who will dump you, but also those looking for a match. I have a message from Major General Olivier Mira Armstrong, Colonel Roy Mustang". Mustang: "I'll be buying all of your flowers". Lasts about 15 seconds. This scene continues in EP37 uninterrupted, about 1/3 through. ]
EP37 (one that aired yesterday): preview only.

They're pretty much there only for continuity. The ones that matter AS seems to have plans for.

I love the scene in EP37 with Winry working on Ed's automail.
I like the Briggs arc in general, and this episode in particular because spoiler[ pride is introduced, who is creepy as hell. SELIM BRADLEY IS HOMUNCULUS! I also like the discussion Ed, Al, and Winry have in the cell. Great way to bring her up to speed very quickly. ]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I always knew Envy was a worm...but I didn't know to what extent!

Good episode. I enjoyed how Scar's Group took Envy down. Real teamwork. I did feel sorry for Marcoh when he discovered that his men spoiler[had been turned into Stones.]

It will be interesting to see the next episode.

BTW-Looking back, when Hoenheim was remembering the past and he stuck his fingers into his chest and flung out strands (drops) of blood that he Named and they disappeared...what was he doing? Are we going to find out what exactly he did there? Is what he did important to the storyline?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I always knew Envy was a worm...but I didn't know to what extent!
I thought of him as being a (very reptilian -- albeit hot-tempered) chameleon..... spoiler[By the way, this isn't the last that you see of either Envy or May -- they both have a number of good scenes left!]
Quote:
[...]
BTW-Looking back, when Hoenheim was remembering the past and he stuck his fingers into his chest and flung out strands (drops) of blood that he Named and they disappeared...what was he doing? Are we going to find out what exactly he did there? Is what he did important to the storyline?
If I recall correctly, then the explanation doesn't occur until the very last episode -- and yes, it is important to the story line.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
spoiler[By the way, this isn't the last that you see of either Envy or May -- they both have a number of good scenes left!]

Good. I like both of them!

Quote:
If I recall correctly, then the explanation doesn't occur until the very last episode -- and yes, it is important to the story line.

That long. Ah well. All good things come to those who wait! Wink
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks again for posting that list of extra scenes DragonFire212! I thought I'd already posted the thank you but since i don't see it here you go Smile

More great episodes.

Definitely also loved the team up on Envy, glad to hear Envy'll still have some big scenes as those have always been good. And May's been surprisingly great and often hilarious so I thought she wouldn't be done yet and it's good to hear.

Loved the Olivier and Armstrong scene lol. Smile And man have the Briggs crew and their dub voices been great ever since they first showed up a while back. Smile
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Good lord Kimblee is a bastard for manipulating those Russia-...erm, Drachmans like that. I love him.

But one problem I've seriously been noticing is that Eric Vale is just overdoing it with the raspy voice for Kimblee. Dude's a sophisticated, philosophical sociopath - not the same psychotic mad bomber he was in the first series. It's like, ironically enough, there isn't a whole lot of difference in personality between Kimblee and Huey Laforet. So, when you really think about it, a softer voice is considerably more fitting.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote
I have only heard Eric Vale in a few episodes, but I wished his actig came closer to the original. Japanese voice actor was absolutely brilliant and nailed the character. The dub is not... I don't know, smooth enough.

I also am not too fond of Scar's dubbed voice, seems a bit overdone, too harsh and somehow lacks depth.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Poor Maj. Armstrong and Poor May!

One got his butt handed to him by his sister and the other was manipulated by a worm...and the only one with a real excuse is May. She's how old? About 10, or younger? And Envy is how how old? Hundreds.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Man. Grumman is one old fox you don't dare underestimate.
B.K.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:07 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

I think this last episode showed how they are going to handle it. Instead of the regular credits, they overlapped the credits with the extra scene. Rather clever and alleviates the problem of losing important information for the next episode(s).

No, they aren't going to do it like that every episode. Adult Swim and Funimation didn't put those scenes in the credits. That's how the episode was made and aired in Japan.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Troy Baker's Greed is so awesome. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 28