• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Maxey Whitehead

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veilless

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Yea, at first I was scared to hear the new voice,but Maxey Whitehead did a good job. Very Happy Her voice and the old Al sound very simalar execpt that Aaron had a cute little crakkle in his voice that made Al, Al. Still its nice to have Maxy as Al. Like I said before, she does a great job Wink
Cait

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I completely forgot they had to replace the actor for Alphonse, and when I watched the episode the other night, nothing at all seemed out of place with his voice to me. I suppose to someone actually paying attention, the differences might be more obvious, but for someone not paying attention, there's virtually no difference. But maybe that will change as the series progresses and we hear more Alphonse. Anyway, she seems quite lovely as a person. I hope we get to see more of her in the future.
care2care

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
I'm suprised that this thread isn't like the "US premiere of FMA Brotherhood on Adult Swim tonight" thread with the chock-full of disappointment and ranting.

Anywho, I was watching Brotherhood the other night, or should I say morning, and I completely forgot that Dismuke wasn't voicing Alphonse for at least half the episode. But when I remembered Maxey is voicing him instead, I could tell the difference. She sounds a bit younger than Aaron's voice. It's not a big deal though and I think she did a very good job, seeing as there was tremendous pressure on her part. I'm expecting more improvement from her as the dubbing continues Smile Good luck and kudos to her!
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
what disappointed me the most when I heard her performance was the fact that it sounded it like she was trying to mimic Aaron's performance. Now reading this interview and finding out that McFarland wanted her to do that, disappoints me even more. Personally I'm not a fan of recasts trying to mimic previous performances. It keeps me from enjoying the performance on its own merits and only reminds me of the fact that the previous performer is no longer acting as said character. I guess what I'm saying is I wish they would have allowed her freedom to voice Alphonse the way she wanted rather than basically saying "sound like Aaron." That aside I don't think I've heard enough of her as Alphonse to make any firm judgments yet, I just hope as the series progresses they allow her more room to do her own thing as far as the voice is concerned. She seems to be a very capable woman judging from her experience, so pushing so strongly for her to sound like another voice actor seems unnecessary.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
I heard Aaron will be playing a different role Brotherhood. Is that true?
Setis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
ninjaclown wrote:
I heard Aaron will be playing a different role Brotherhood. Is that true?

Supposedly yes, they'll be bringing him back in a role later in the series (I assume some role that wasn't in the first version). It's very hush-hush though what the part is.

As far as Maxey, I agree she sounded a lot like Aaron at times, but there were also times I could more clearly hear the femininity in her voice, which is strange because I usually don't hear it so much in her other young boy roles. I almost wonder if the bowl causes that (male voice reverb vs female voice reverb).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:15 am Reply with quote
I can understand wanting her to try to sound like Aaron since the bulk of the returning characters have the same voices, but I would think that it would make for a better performance if they let her do her own take on the character. I'm sure she will do a fine job, but I don't really need her to try to sound like Aaron since the difference between a boy playing a boy character and a woman playing a boy character is pretty noticeable in this case.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote
I guess I noticed it as soon as Al began to speak. I was able to reconignize that he's voice did change. Due to me watching the first serise FMA Movie and OVA collection right before Brotherhood came on.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed Alphonse's new voice actor. Sounds 98% percent like the the other voice actor and she really is trying her best.

Those who are complaining about every tiny detail honestly should either watch the series for what it is (and not for what it isn't) or not watch the show at all. No one is forcing anyone to watch this show if one doesn't like it.

I can tell its going to be a fun season to watch though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I really want to get RxJ and hear her performance in that Smile
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Meh she could have done better, it was too quiet/low-toned for me.
Shirogane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I think she did a very good job portraying Alphonse in the first episode. It sounds very similar to Aaron's voice in the first FMA series. Hopefully, she continues to do well with the role.

I haven't watched RxJ in English yet, but I have watched the English dub of Soul Eater (after watching it all in Japanese first) and think that she did well in her portrayal of a "young boy"-like character in there. I do have to admit that when watching it, I kept thinking "this is going to be Alphonse's new voice" so maybe I got somewhat biased. Smile
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
A Bowl!? Priceless.

I thought Maxey did remarkably well and I have every confidence she will own this version of Al, making it her own, just like Aaron did with his version of Al.

I love her voice; she's perfect for Al.

Nice Interview.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I can understand wanting her to try to sound like Aaron since the bulk of the returning characters have the same voices, but I would think that it would make for a better performance if they let her do her own take on the character. I'm sure she will do a fine job, but I don't really need her to try to sound like Aaron since the difference between a boy playing a boy character and a woman playing a boy character is pretty noticeable in this case.

I agree 100% Maxey's all Pro, let her run with it, let her make this version of Al her own.

I liked Aaron's Al, but I don't want a very talented actor working solely to imitate another actor's performance, the quality, in my mind suffers. That's not to say that she can't, but I'd love to hear her Alphonse.

And honestly, the voice match is pretty darn close, no need for noses to be bent out of shape. Enjoy it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I really hope it gets washed at least by hand. I'd reckon if it's just kept on a shelf for some time, the dust would REALLY mess with the way the voice echoes around.

This technique reminds me of the way Matt Stone does lines for Kenny in South Park: He just covers his mouth.

All in all, I really like the way Alphonse turned out here. I think she struck the line between based on Aaron Dismuke and doing her own thing. She did say she didn't want to hear much of Aaron's stuff, so I think as the episodes go on, she'l diverge from the way he played Al.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3