• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Maxey Whitehead

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
A Bowl!? Priceless.

I thought Maxey did remarkably well and I have every confidence she will own this version of Al, making it her own, just like Aaron did with his version of Al.

I love her voice; she's perfect for Al.

Nice Interview.

And that wasn't just any bowl that was the "Sacred Bowl of Aaron Dismuke" from the first series, and yes, that is what they dubbed the bowl as, as stated by Mike McFarlan in the commentary for episode 19 of the first series, I heard they never washed it in a dishwasher, I think they washed it by hand, they were afraid the shape would change and then it wouldn't sound right.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
A Bowl!? Priceless.

I thought Maxey did remarkably well and I have every confidence she will own this version of Al, making it her own, just like Aaron did with his version of Al.

I love her voice; she's perfect for Al.

Nice Interview.

And that wasn't just any bowl that was the "Sacred Bowl of Aaron Dismuke" from the first series, and yes, that is what they dubbed the bowl as, as stated by Mike McFarlan in the commentary for episode 19 of the first series, I heard they never washed it in a dishwasher, I think they washed it by hand, they were afraid the shape would change and then it wouldn't sound right.

There was also the story about them temporarily losing it, which was apparently scary because they weren't sure if they could find another one like it.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Maxey's turn as Al isn't her best boy role to date (maybe it's the bowl that makes the difference?), but that's comparing it to two of last year's best dub performances. It's good enough for the purpose here and I doubt I'll notice the difference anymore after a couple more episodes.

Last edited by Key on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Effyness

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm actually happily impressed that people aren't completely ripping on her. I'm used to people being hardcore "stick to the original stuff" fans who already have a bunch of problems with any English dub.

Anyway, to the point. I think Maxey did a great job. I think that the concerns everyone has are valid. I mean, I agree that on the inside, I will miss Al's voice, but she shouldn't be held back by the need to mimic Aaron. Of course, there's not a lot we can say right now. We've only seen one episode, and she didn't have too many lines. I agree that as the series progresses, we'll probably see her finding her own way of doing things. Overall, I commend her and think that she'll do a great job as Al.
Keyl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's difficult to tell from the first dubbed episode of Brotherhood, but from what I can, her Alphonse seems pretty decent. It feels a little bit subdued, though. Alphonse is more active in the new series, they should have her potted up in sound, at least.

i think this is to early for someone to say anything about her. give her 2 more episode and then judge.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
I eventually got used to her voice, and I think that she has dramatically improved it since then Smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3