• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Priest Film's Behind-the-Scenes Videos Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The manhwa tells the story of an expert in ancient languages who accidentally resurrects an angel from Hell, Temozareal. The man is forced to sell his soul to the Devil in a attempt to correct his mistake. Cory Goodman (The Brood) wrote the movie adaptation's script. According to Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, the film version "is set in a world ravaged by war between man and vampire."

So how is this the "live-action version" again? I think this is Priest In Name Only (PINO).
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I honestly fail to see the connection.

Hypothesis: They bought the rights for an adaption, people worked on it, reworked it, reworked it even further, and now an unrelated film is being released with minimal connections, but those connection exist because they paid for money for the rights and they're going to us them (Even if it is just for a title/character names).
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
should of called it vampire hunter D lol
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Now anime, manga, and manhwa fans know how comics book fans have felt for years. Sure this isn't quite as bad as Schumacher's Batman and Robin or Halle Berry's Catwoman, but that is a pretty lame water downed plot. I only read the first couple of volumes ages ago, but this definitely sounds much more generic.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Seems many have lost all hope here. Personally, I'm going to keep my mind open on it. Its all too easy to cry foul and expect nothing, but if it actually turns out to be a good film, everyone will go see it. We've seen no action scenes or trailer yet.

Remember, Avatar wasn't a spectacular storytelling master piece either, yet that won awards. Bad analogy perhaps. I still think people should give this a chance. I too have been hurt by previous debacles like DBZ, but Priest really has a chance to shine, alongside being easier to adapt. Its also the kind of action flick non-anime/manga fans can enjoy casually.

Can't wait for the trailer, and Jan 2011 couldn't come sooner. Fingers crossed, the potential income could really put Tokyopop back in the industry game, and possibly even be pumped into new anime, a step they have yet to take.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote
Onizuka: Actually, it didn't win awards, just made a ton of money which was boosted by 3D sales. Anyway, this feels more like a misfire in the vein of Blood than DB:E.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
Onizuka666 wrote:
Remember, Avatar wasn't a spectacular storytelling master piece either, yet that won awards. Bad analogy perhaps.

Yeah, but it didn't win (or even get nominated) for its storytelling or its acting, it won awards for its special effects. You need effects on the level of Avatar to make up for unoriginal storytelling, and I doubt that an in-name-only adaptation of an obscure manwha will have the budget necessary to pull off an Avatar.

I'm not necessarily writing this movie off, I'm just protesting that it's being called an "adaptation" when it clearly isn't; it's its own thing by now. If it sucks, please don't judge the manwha by it.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Oka, my bad. I know Avatar was nominated for stuff, so I got mixed up. Doh!

Adaption? We'll know once we see the film finished, as we can tell little still. It may have new bits added not in the manga, but still deserves a chance to show us what its got.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
TOKYOPOP just wasted money on this?

Makes them producing Princess Ai look tame in comparison.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya: Tokyopop gets paid for the rights and (theoretically) benefits from the film's promotion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1