• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Walt Disney Japan Confirms 2010 BDs for Ghibli Catalog

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Finally we get a proper local anime release on Blu-Ray!
Those inferior 1080p24 encodes for 30fps anime Funimation has been releasing are unwatchable.

I'm sure Disney will know what they're doing and give me a good reason to seriously consider upgrading.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Would it be too much to hope for Only Yesterday to be included?

I'll cross my fingers, but I won't hold my breath.
Serge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
Finally we get a proper local anime release on Blu-Ray!
Those inferior 1080p24 encodes for 30fps anime Funimation has been releasing are unwatchable.

I'm sure Disney will know what they're doing and give me a good reason to seriously consider upgrading.

It's because all of FUNimation's Blu-ray Releases are frickin upscales.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
So there are plans to release some older work. Well, if that's the case I wonder what they'll do for 'Mononoke'. Since there was never a special ED for it. All later releases are at least 2 discs.

Well, one complaint that I've seen on Amazon is that the Ponyo BD doesn't come with a toy. Does anyone know what the 3rd BD contains for 'Ponyo'? Because that doesn't look like the US release. Ours is 2 discs.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news! Even though I already have Porco Rosso and Kiki's I've been holding off on completing my collection ever since I got wind of Blu-Ray versions in Japan. Porco Rosso ought to look beautiful on Blu-Ray if given the proper transfer.

I'm secretly hoping (maybe in vain) for a Cat Returns Blu Ray. Highly underrated and overlooked Ghibli film IMO.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
As of right now the releases are:
Castle In The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro. Oddly enough the titles that were out of print recently all being released on March 2nd.
Tratious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I hope when they release them in North America they have lossless Japanese & English audio.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
Castle In The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro. Oddly enough the titles that were out of print recently all being released on March 2nd.

Not that I'm doubting, but do you have a source?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:

Those aren't BD's though, only new two-disc versions to replace the out of print versions, capitalizing on the Ponyo release. I'm surprised it wasn't announced on ANN.

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/32525/details-box-art-for-castle-in-the-sky-kiki-totoro-re-releases-due-mar-2-10

They can all be found on Amazon too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Would it be too much to hope for Only Yesterday to be included?

I'll cross my fingers, but I won't hold my breath.

Only Yesterday was the highest-grossing movie 1991 in Japan. It was released as a single Laserdisc in 1992, next as a Laserdisc in the Ghibli ga Ippai Boxset 1996, then it was one of the first Ghibli movies on dvd. So, I see no reason why it wouldn't be released on BD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Well, one complaint that I've seen on Amazon is that the Ponyo BD doesn't come with a toy. Does anyone know what the 3rd BD contains for 'Ponyo'? Because that doesn't look like the US release. Ours is 2 discs.

It's most likely just the disc for the digital copy, as Disney has been releasing all it's animated features on BD with the DVD version and a disc to get a digital copy of the movie all in one. Which for someone like me who is slowly trying to get ready to switch over to HD and BD, as getting the player and TV for it is pricey, is great.

Though I do think they just put up the wrong picture for the R1 release as the text on the box looks to match the Japanese title of the film and not the English title.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll be double-dipping on Princess Mononoke, but I'm glad that I've been holding off buying the Ghibli stuff that I'm interested in owning.
Serge wrote:
It's because all of FUNimation's Blu-ray Releases are frickin upscales.

Most of them, not all.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Awsome, I've only got Porco Rosso and Nausica on DVD. I've been holding off on anything else hoping for Blu-Ray editions. I'm really excited about picking up Ponyo.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
unfortunately I will be double dipping on the entire collection, except ponyo, I pre-ordered the blu ray of that, but I have the rest on DVD,

well I might just keep the DVD versions for the sake of collecting
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Tratious wrote:
I hope when they release them in North America they have lossless Japanese & English audio.

Well, we know Ponyo won't, and I doubt the rest will. It's probably going to be the big thing we'll be denied in order to prevent reverse importation from the Japanese side.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2