• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Confirms Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei License

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I'm very happy right now

so is it going to be dubbed? pr sub only release?

Unfortunately I have a nasty feeling that this is gonna be sub only. When it comes to harem series like this, they (Media Blasters ) Usually give the the sub only treatment. Though i wont be getting it cause of this, BUT if it meant that Ikkitousen Season 2 and 3 as well as Queens Blade & Dokuro-Chan gets a dub in exchange for this series not getting any it's definately worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
I'm very happy right now

so is it going to be dubbed? or sub only release?

Unfortunately I have a nasty feeling that this is gonna be sub only. When it comes to harem series like this, they (Media Blasters ) Usually give the the sub only treatment. Though i wont be getting it cause of this, BUT if it meant that Ikkitousen Season 2 and 3 as well as Queens Blade & Dokuro-Chan gets a dub in exchange for this series not getting any it's definately worth it.

Wait Dokuro-Chan is getting a dub? That was the one reason I never bothered to buy the DVD even if it was on my list of things to watch because I wanted a dub.

Oh well sub or dub Zetsubou-Sensei is coming stateside, just wondering if they get the later seasons, how are they going to handle Zoku and the new Zan OVAs. They where released with the manga meaning there maybe a bit of a problem getting them.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
This is one title I've been waiting to come over, and it's also nice to finally have a new series I really want to buy from MB. I will be preordering this right away!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
leftbehindxp wrote:
Crystal wrote:

And yeah, how come no one DID read the "English-subtitled DVD" in the announcement?

Aura Ichadora wrote:
If you guys read the entire article, it's being released subbed-only, NOT dubbed.

When I wrote it wasn't there. Think that was added when they updated it.

Its hard to miss though, as its in the first paragraph. Pretty noticeable to be honest.

As for the new series, I did some research and it looks way too dark and weird for my taste.

But as long as Media Blasters finishes Genshiken season two nicely, I don't really care about what they license. For now, of course.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
Leon Evolon wrote:
If they dub it I can only wonder what Zetsubou-sensei's catch phrase will be converted to. "I'm in despair" just doesn't have the same kick to it as the Japanese.

"Woe is me," maybe?

In retrospect I don't think that I stated what I really meant in my earlier post. What I should have said was "I hope they get someone who can evoke the same power as Hiroshi Kamiya did in playing the part." It's not as though it can't be done as "I'm in despair" if they were to do a dub, but just that I thought that it would be hard to have the same effect if the voice actor wasn't carefully chosen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
leftbehindxp wrote:
Crystal wrote:

And yeah, how come no one DID read the "English-subtitled DVD" in the announcement?

Aura Ichadora wrote:
If you guys read the entire article, it's being released subbed-only, NOT dubbed.

When I wrote it wasn't there. Think that was added when they updated it.

Its hard to miss though, as its in the first paragraph. Pretty noticeable to be honest.

The article was updated. When leftbehindxp posted, ANN hadn't added the info stating that the series would be released sub-only.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
This is exactly who I figured would pick up this show, provided anyone did. It seems to fall in line with their other shows that don't sell like crazy, but sell respectably. I fully expect them to just do a sub only. While I'm not a fan of sub only releases, I suspect that they will want to minimize their risks since comedy can fall flat.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I know it's late to bump this thread, but as of a few nights ago, Amazon listed the SZS dvd as a preorder. However, the listing has "Ws-Dub" on the header. Anime Works has done excellent work, especially on sub-only. I know this is supposed to be subbed, not dubbed. And to those who have seen the ep with, well, regarding "opening", you will know that there is no way SZS works dubbed. Now, had Funimation gotten this, and tried with the old ADV voice crew that has experience in this type of series (Pani Poni Dash anyone?), perhaps a decent dub could be had. But as far as i'm concerned, SZS can stay sub-only. I was trying to contact Anime Works, but came to a dead end. If anyone knows for absolute certain, i know i'm listening.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Say, (I know this is kind of late) but I saw the listing for the first DVD on Rightstuf. The first vol. is 150mins. Does anyone know how many episodes (per DVD) or DVDs they plan to release? Since the first season is 12 episodes it would be no problem releasing it across 2 DVDs.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Say, (I know this is kind of late) but I saw the listing for the first DVD on Rightstuf. The first vol. is 150mins. Does anyone know how many episodes (per DVD) or DVDs they plan to release? Since the first season is 12 episodes it would be no problem releasing it across 2 DVDs.

Interesting! So that's 6 ep for the first volume. And it's only $18.74 too.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
What ever happened to this? Media Blaster's website doesn't seem to list the series, and the few places I can find the DVD listing all still say "Pre-order."
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I remember ACen was supposed to screen the first four episodes of SZS, but the Media Blasters reps there had no clue what happened and why the DVD never showed up.

Sigh... why must companies remain silent about this crap? I want to own this series...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sigh... why must companies remain silent about this crap? I want to own this series...

An excellent question. Zac talked about this in a podcast - for some strange reason, distribs have it in their heads that its better to keep their client base in the dark instead actually providing information. I guess that's "cooler" maybe than being an intelligent company?

*lifts shoulders in a wtf? gesture*
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing it'll pop up in their solicitations once their current releases are finished- Queen's Blade is done, and they have a few licenses awaiting release, so we'll probably see it before 2011. They also licensed the Lodoss Wars OVA and TV series, so those are possible releases too.

SZS was solicited awhile ago, but got pushed back to to changes in their schedule. They also confirmed on AonDVD that they were planning to switch to direct to boxset series [Kanokon would be their last series in singles], so I imagine that's also affected their schedule. Maybe more info'll pop up out of Otakon
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
They aren't silent about it though. If you talk to one of the people in production at the MB booth, they will give you some info. (I'm planning to check on it anyway because of that boxset vs single thing which started as a logical leap and hasn't been confirmed.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7