• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Battle Angel Film Planned After Avatar 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Also adjusted for inflation Avatar was something like the 26th highest grossing movie of all time. Even his Titanic still beats Avatar.
It's currently ranked 16th as I type this; it will likely be 15th when it's run is finished.

J-Syxx wrote:
The movie was great. I liked the story even without the visuals. Get off your high horse and stop treating your opinion on a scifi film as the word of god.
Avatar is just another obnoxious White Messiah story wrapped up in pretty visuals. If you're fine with getting the same thing over and over again with no variation and/or creative imagination, then you'd probably react harshly to criticism of it (as you have). Who needs to reward creativity when even the merely lucrative is "great"?

Landon Palmer wrote:
It seems as audiences we take comfort in, if not outright need, the confirmation of expectations bestowed on us by Hollywood cinema. We need our characters to be consistent and reliable, and our movies familiar and predictable, while (sometimes to the point of contradiction, as illustrated in the Marley example) bestowing a necessary but cautious dose of change or variation. Perhaps, when our lives change in often startling and unpredictable ways, the dramatic endings and consistency of Hollywood’s emphasis on staying put and staying the same is a comforting and rare place where redundancy and predictability are the norm, and the threat of loss due to major life changes don’t exist. Thank you, Hollywood, for your beautiful and entertaining lies.

J-Syxx wrote:
If everyone who liked it is "easily impressionable," I will also mention some nerds despise anything that becomes popular becuase of their reclusive nature.
lol nice strawman

Of course, while I can't speak for Dargonxtc -- although he strikes as a good, outgoing fellow -- it's the more nerd-ish and emotionally unstable people that seem to really like the movie: it's a very escapist, pandering fantasy, after all, and you have reports of people getting depressed after watching the movie. But, hey, if you want to delude yourself, go ahead.

J-Syxx wrote:
And Avatar comes from 1950's scifi novles, yet they are dumb enough to claim it came from Pochahontas or other things that are equally ridiculous.
Its structure is clearly indebted to the White Messiah story, which can be seen in loads of stories where the noble savages' "salvation" comes from the caring white man when they are threatened by his people. There isn't room for argument on this.

Quote:
And these same people probalby enjoyed The Dark Knight, which has had it's story used about 50,000 other times in similar super hero stories. So yeah I smell hypocrisy.
TDK is an elongated crime movie reacting to a post-9/11 world, all told under the guise of a super hero flick, so your comparison is invalid. Nice try, tho', especially considering you implicitly make no distinction between archetypes and stereotypes.
Claire Voyant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Neutral

I read this when it came up on the MTV site, and read it. /facepalm

I'm really confused now, I don't know if anyone recalls this but awhile back there was talk of them using the first THREE books in the series (Still a bit wtf to me, but I guess it'd correlate with the anime length), so Cameron HAS to know about the other content. Neutral I mean come on, there's pictures of him wearing Battle Angel Alita shirts.

(Then again, why give Hollywood too much credit.)

Seriously though, knowing of the ANIME more so than the MANGA?

FFS. I'm sick of waiting SO long in between news of Battle Angel Alita, sifting through forums, even Google Alerts set. Only to get fragments of hope that when published make me worry more than be optimistic.

I REALLY want to see this film do well, but at what cost will this have?

Neutral It'd be nice to have some actual BAA merchandise to buy that doesn't cost 345345 dollars because there's only three made. But, will it be any good? Will there be a good surge of energy from the series? Or will this give it a bad light? I'm just worried about the translation.

We all know how fun and dark, and information packed, and how developed the characters can be, will they be able to write that properly?

I wish in any adaptation, these people would actually do more research, actually pick up all the content, look more into what's out there rather than just take what's handed to them.

Just. Neutral I swear if this man messes this up, I'm T.P-ing his house.

/TLDR rant
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
If you're fine with getting the same thing over and over again with no variation and/or creative imagination, then you'd probably react harshly to criticism of it (as you have).

And the point me and J-Syxx were making is that its just incredibly hypocritical to see that kind of sentiment coming from an Otaku. So much anime follows the same premises and ideas of older stories but yet people don't hand the same kind of judgment down on them as they would for Avatar. Especially not the series they love. So I guess all Otakus love getting the same stuff over and over again. Or maybe, just maybe there's more to a story then just the theme or premise.

Hellkorn wrote:
Its structure is clearly indebted to the White Messiah story, which can be seen in loads of stories where the noble savages' "salvation" comes from the caring white man when they are threatened by his people. There isn't room for argument on this.
While I can't ignore the "parallels" in the themes and overall execution, that's just nerd rage talking there. Your just getting too hung up on those parallels as the Vatican is about the nature worshipping theme. An inability to suspend ones disbelief. While its fun to flex the intellect to see those things, your getting way to worked up. Or your too impressionable.

Hellkorn wrote:
]TDK is an elongated crime movie reacting to a post-9/11 world, all told under the guise of a super hero flick, so your comparison is invalid. Nice try, tho', especially considering you implicitly make no distinction between archetypes and stereotypes.
Wha... now who's reacting to criticism? It's the Batman comic origin retold once again returning to what the director felt was the core of the Batman persona. Pure and simple. To paint it in such a light... wow. Don't get me wrong, comics tend to have that those deeper narratives when they can but alot of times even then its stretching a bit. They just want to tell a story or portray the characters they love in a matter they feel speaks to the core of that character they fell in love with and does their legacy justice.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
TDK is just the same old superhero story: guy with tragic past involving crime fights his guilt by putting on a mask to fight crime himself. Suggesting it's more original than Avatar's use of themes that have been implemented in a story arc before is the height of idiocy. Same thing with all anime which recycle the same themes, storylines, backdrops, and characters ruthlessly. But it gets a pass because it's Japanese, and it makes certain people feel special that they're watching something all those lowly Americans who like Avatar don't know about. Doesn't change the fact your hypocrisy for being a fan of said shows is intergalactic in size.

Quote:
it's a very escapist, pandering fantasy, after all

Right, and anime isn't escapist fantasy. *rolls eyes* Go watch C-Span, apparently you have a grudge against entertainment.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Avatar 2... god, just the sound of it makes me nauseous with thoughts of ego-stroking and budget-blowing.

I can't wait until James Cameron spends 500 million dollars just to tell me that I am wasteful, and don't spend enough time enjoying the Earth we have by instead going to see movies (not made by James Cameron of course)

Also I whole heartly enjoy Avatar cosplaying that is basically just painting yourself blue.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Alright guys, there seems to be some misconception about this article and that it's about Avatar, and not Battle Angel. I mean, I can see how that might be confusing since one is related to anime and the other isn't but, oh wait, it's not really confusing at all.

While I know it's all the rage in the anti-culture world to tell everyone how cool you are for disliking and hating the latest big thing in popular culture, this thread is not meant to be the soapbox for your avatar hate. So start posting something actually relevant to the article and its anime aspect, or we can just lock it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hunter2458

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Alita: Battle Angel

I don't think it rings well :/
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Avatar 2? Thanks for the visuals, but try to make the story good this time, okay buddy.

Also adjusted for inflation Avatar was something like the 26th highest grossing movie of all time. Even his Titanic still beats Avatar.

After I saw Avatar I lost faith in James. Beautiful film. Sucky story. Those people that have been killing themselves over it must be the cheesiest and most easily impressionable people on the planet.

The movie was great. I liked the story even without the visuals. Get off your high horse and stop treating your opinion on a scifi film as the word of god. If everyone who liked it is "easily impressionable," I will also mention some nerds despise anything that becomes popular becuase of their reclusive nature.

Making excuses for why people spent more money on Avatar than previous films still doesn't change the fact it's still number one. You may as well be complaining about why the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Hit a nerve did I. In an attempt to stave off further indignation I will just say this. I do like popular things... so as long as they are good. The writing for Avatar was atrocious. Clunky is an adjective that comes to mind. You have every right to disagree. But to me the reason Avatar was so popular was because it was this new 3D experience, not necessarily because it was this great film that you seem to make it out to be. I mean there were logical gaps in the screenplay that a 4th grader could spot.

I like James Cameron. And because of that I think it was why I was even more disappointed. Avatar was and is beautiful. He definitely has the tech to do a faithful Battle Angel, but god do I hope he hires someone who can write and put together a more sensible screenplay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Beautiful film. Sucky story.

This. It is possible to appreciate beauty in and of itself. The story was adequate in order to carry the action and visuals, imho. (Also, the avatar system was somewhat new for film, if not for literature... and that one shot with the crippled legs was sort of clever).

I, too, normally think of the story as the most important element of a film -- but Avatar's just wasn't dismal enough to cancel out every other element, for me. If it had been a little-known anime, people would just pass it off as "Yeah, the story is nothing to write home about -- but the ART&ANIMATION!!..."

In any case, it's certainly succeeded at inciting dialogue. Any discussion related to Cameron turns into a fight over Avatar (even when the thread is about seemingly ridiculous Battle Angel news...)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
In any case, it's certainly succeeded at inciting dialogue. Any discussion related to Cameron turns into a fight over Avatar (even when the thread is about seemingly ridiculous Battle Angel news...)

Well yeah in a way. The thing is, I know he can make a good film. This I would state as fact. But given the monetary success of his last film, will that pull him in a new direction? Does he think what was put out was a high quality American film? On all levels?

It's a concern because anyone familiar with GUNNM knows that it could make one hell of a good movie. At the same time, liberties (rightfully so under the right circumstances) will be taken. What direction will these be pushed toward? There is just so much that could go wrong if a certain person's ego isn't in check. If he wins any Oscars for anything other than technical achievements, I think it doesn't look good for Alita.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
And the point me and J-Syxx were making is that its just incredibly hypocritical to see that kind of sentiment coming from an Otaku. So much anime follows the same premises and ideas of older stories but yet people don't hand the same kind of judgment down on them as they would for Avatar.
I agree. But I'm not sure how that devalues an opinion that Dargonxtc expressed.

Quote:
While I can't ignore the "parallels" in the themes and overall execution, that's just nerd rage talking there. Your just getting too hung up on those parallels as the Vatican is about the nature worshipping theme. An inability to suspend ones disbelief. While its fun to flex the intellect to see those things, your getting way to worked up. Or your too impressionable.
Um, no, dude. It's not "flexing the intellect" or a value judgment, it's blatantly what it is. Also related.

Quote:
They just want to tell a story or portray the characters they love in a matter they feel speaks to the core of that character they fell in love with and does their legacy justice.
I'm not trying to make Nolan's second Batman movie any "deeper" than it actually is -- the whole movie's purpose is to set up different morality plays with very broad ideas -- but much of the movie, especially the first half, can function as a "crime epic" if you strip away the super hero aspect. Hell, it seems like half of the reviews out there even refer to it as a "crime epic," so this isn't some absurd idea just coming from a nineteen-year-old film buff.

J-Syxx wrote:
Suggesting it's more original than Avatar's use of themes that have been implemented in a story arc before is the height of idiocy... Doesn't change the fact your hypocrisy for being a fan of said shows is intergalactic in size.
You obviously don't know my taste; you don't want to actually engage TDK beyond a knee-jerk manner (the morality plays are archetypal, but the way they play out is obviously in reaction to 9/11's aftermath, and Nolan has confirmed this); and you're the one initiating and continuing personal attacks. I'm not interested in that kind of dialogue, so please refrain from doing so.

Quote:
Right, and anime isn't escapist fantasy. *rolls eyes* Go watch C-Span, apparently you have a grudge against entertainment.
There are different degrees of escapism. Also, I clearly enjoy films like Commando and Crank for their intellectual value. Rolling Eyes Straw man...

Keonyn wrote:
While I know it's all the rage in the anti-culture world to tell everyone how cool you are for disliking and hating the latest big thing in popular culture, this thread is not meant to be the soapbox for your avatar hate.
I really don't like getting in arguments about value judgments and almost always avoid them, but the entirely unwarranted reaction by J-Syxx to Dargonxtc caused me to respond. It's not a matter of "hating on what's popular" or whatever you care to describe, but whenever someone gets immensely hostile at any criticism and never creates substantive points to properly debate the other person.

That said, I am done posting about Avatar (and The Dark Knight) in this thread -- any further discussion will be continued in PMs -- so let's talk about Alita!

Dargonxtc wrote:
It's a concern because anyone familiar with GUNNM knows that it could make one hell of a good movie. At the same time, liberties (rightfully so under the right circumstances) will be taken. What direction will these be pushed toward?
I'm hoping that Cameron doesn't have much influence on the script and primarily concerns himself with the design settings and general intricacies of the world. I really think that, if written well enough and received properly, he could turn it into a franchise. I'm worried that it'll become JUST about "a human/robotic identity" type of story. The original -- despite any sort of philosophical ideas -- is really this gritty, somewhat nutty cyberpunk tale that's about a lot of action. It's just a lot of fun with the occasional emotional investment.

The following quote...

Landau wrote:
We really wanted to take our time in developing a large arc-ing story that really encompasses the whole world [of Battle Angel Alita].
... seems to mean that we'll probably see a lot of the side characters diminished or scrapped altogether. But an earlier quote references the "other nine books" (?), which means that they're probably just drawing on the original, and not Last Order (which may be for the best, even if there are some amazing moments of lunacy and some interesting bits of backstory). It still makes me feel that a relatively open-ended movie is the best in order to actually develop the world without rushing it or the plot (for whatever they come up with).

I'm not sure how well blatant sci-fi movies actually fare nowadays, though. Cameron's name attached to Alita will have its draw, I'm sure, but for a story whose lineage owes a lot to what some (many?) consider to be a "dated" genre? I'm not sure what immediate examples to draw from; Dark City is one possible comparison, and I'm not sure how well that did in the box office (seems to have developed a solid cult following, at least).
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:

Well yeah in a way. The thing is, I know he can make a good film. This I would state as fact. But given the monetary success of his last film, will that pull him in a new direction? Does he think what was put out was a high quality American film? On all levels?

It's a concern because anyone familiar with GUNNM knows that it could make one hell of a good movie. At the same time, liberties (rightfully so under the right circumstances) will be taken. What direction will these be pushed toward? There is just so much that could go wrong if a certain person's ego isn't in check. If he wins any Oscars for anything other than technical achievements, I think it doesn't look good for Alita.

I agree with this, admittedly. Guess we'll find out -- assuming they don't hear about Last Order and delay the project for another few years.

HellKorn wrote:
Also related.

Nice Very Happy. Though I enjoyed the film, I was thinking the same thing while watching.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There are different degrees of escapism. Also, I clearly enjoy films like Commando and Crank for their intellectual value. Rolling Eyes Straw man...

Let me state this again you're actually criticizing something for being escapist fantasy at an ANIME forum. Yeah, I don't have to say much more than that. You may as well be criticizing the Whopper for being fastening while chowing down on a Big Mac. And wow TDK has post-911 themes and I should respect it for that. Gee I wonder what other movie has those that you completely written off. Give me a break. I like TDK, but Avatar is a better film. And people will remember it as a better film even more so after all those oscars it's going to win. You can continue to cry about it being successful like those Colts fans I guess.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
It's a concern because anyone familiar with GUNNM knows that it could make one hell of a good movie. At the same time, liberties (rightfully so under the right circumstances) will be taken. What direction will these be pushed toward?
I'm hoping that Cameron doesn't have much influence on the script and primarily concerns himself with the design settings and general intricacies of the world. I really think that, if written well enough and received properly, he could turn it into a franchise. I'm worried that it'll become JUST about "a human/robotic identity" type of story. The original -- despite any sort of philosophical ideas -- is really this gritty, somewhat nutty cyberpunk tale that's about a lot of action. It's just a lot of fun with the occasional emotional investment.

I certainly don't disagree with anything you said. I will say that I think it is a little wishful to think that no liberties(or even very little) will be taken. Even Lord of the Rings (one of the best known books in the world), had plenty of liberties taken(I loved those films by the way). But when you you think about it, how many direct adaptations has Hollywood produced in the last 30 years. Very Very few(some with good results, some with bad). So I think this makes the choice of director an important one, along with any guidelines a studio might make (though we all know that James doesn't follow guidelines).

Anyway, I think it would be great if it turned out like you described. I just think that it is a very remote chance of that happening. Certainly good movies have been made with liberties taken, so that is where I focus much of my discussion.

J-Syxx wrote:
Let me state this again you're actually criticizing something for being escapist fantasy at an ANIME forum. Yeah, I don't have to say much more than that.

There is a difference between a cartoon that costs less than a million dollars to produce, and a Hollywood film that costs half a billion dollars. If you are trying to say that our expectations should be the same then you are crazy. Not in the literal sense of course, but certainly about entertainment. Wink

For a half billion dollars I expect to wowed on all levels. Alita has the premise to do that. I just hope James has the ability to man up and realize he just got lucky with the last one.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Let me state this again you're actually criticizing something for being escapist fantasy at an ANIME forum.
"WHOOSH," right over the head.

Quote:
And wow TDK has post-911 themes and I should respect it for that. Gee I wonder what other movie has those that you completely written off.
HellKorn wrote:
You don't want to actually engage TDK beyond a knee-jerk manner... That said, I am done posting about Avatar (and The Dark Knight) in this thread -- any further discussion will be continued in PMs -- so let's talk about Alita!
One last thing:

J-Syxx wrote:
I like TDK, but Avatar is a better film. And people will remember it as a better film even more so after all those oscars it's going to win. You can continue to cry about it being successful like those Colts fans I guess.
Oh, good to know that it's a fact now that you've appealed to the majority. Nice fallacy. Also, I'm not "crying," I pointed out some criticisms of Avatar, and you've seen to take that as an affront to your being, so you continue with the personal attacks while ignoring the whole of my posts and just picking and miscontruing points. Just stop.

Dargonxtc wrote:
I certainly don't disagree with anything you said. I will say that I think it is a little wishful to think that no liberties(or even very little) will be taken. Even Lord of the Rings (one of the best known books in the world), had plenty of liberties taken(I loved those films by the way). But when you you think about it, how many direct adaptations has Hollywood produced in the last 30 years. Very Very few(some with good results, some with bad). So I think this makes the choice of director an important one, along with any guidelines a studio might make (though we all know that James doesn't follow guidelines).
I don't mind severe liberties being taken. I tend to divide adaptions into three different categories:

1) Exceptionally faithful to the source material, with minor changes.

2) Relatively faithful to the source material, with some significant departures. It still retains the overall appeal and ideas of the original work.

3) Radical adaption that is clearly its own work, using the original material merely as a base to build on.

I'm fine with any of those three, but when you mix any of the two, problems can start to arise. I'm hoping for a clear vision of either option (2) or (3).

One thing that might be done is that they do leave enough of an open ending as I described earlier with adapting the original nine volume series (or at least parts of it). If it's a success, they could turn to Last Order -- I'd certainly like some significant changes there in any adaption, as I feel it loses itself, or rather slips away from what made the original series so appealing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4