• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victor Delacroix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
Answerman, this has probably already been pointed out to you, but in case it has not, I'm going to say it here. What you commented on was not Ketsu Inu. There are two shows displayed on the link given, and the one you commented on was "Nougyou Musume" (Agriculture Girls) and seems to be about farming. Just letting you know. Ketsu Inu's box is the one on the right, but there is virtually no information available about it; when you click the box nothing happens.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
Victor Delacroix wrote:
Answerman, this has probably already been pointed out to you, but in case it has not, I'm going to say it here. What you commented on was not Ketsu Inu. There are two shows displayed on the link given, and the one you commented on was "Nougyou Musume" (Agriculture Girls) and seems to be about farming. Just letting you know. Ketsu Inu's box is the one on the right, but there is virtually no information available about it; when you click the box nothing happens.

Hmm, a misunderstanding, eh?... If sitcoms have taught me anything, this clearly means that the real Ketsu Inu will become "wildly popular", forcing Brian to devour his wardrobe.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
lkmjr wrote:
Though the Valley had only a single gunship and a couple of gliders as opposed to the fleets of airships the other countries had, that was because they were too small to have any real military force; they still made use of the same technology as the rest, and no one was more or less advanced than anyone else. Saying the Valley was more primitive than the rest would be like saying Liechtenstein isn't as advanced as other European nations because it's strictly neutral and too small to find on a map.

Actually - and this is spelled out thoroughly in the manga, but it's there in plain sight the anime - gunships hold a large number of advantages over the big corvettes, which are slow and easy targets. Note how spoiler[Abel is easily able to take one out with a single gunship.] The valley actually has a quite sophisticated piece of technology in that lone ship.

The difference, though, is that they don't use it for conquering and waging war with other nations. Miyazaki isn't anti-technology (his works glorify airplanes), he's anti-technology that kills people and destroys the environment. If you want to accuse him of being a starry-eyed peacenik, you might have an argument, but his Luddite tendencies get woefully exaggerated.

Anyway, I don't feel like arguing this, personally. Miyazaki isn't "above criticism," at least not to me. I tend to hate it when people raise up authors or directors on pedestals. Howl's Moving Castle was a let down for me (I loved the book), and Ponyo only makes sense if you decide to stop trying to make sense of it. Castle in the Sky does drag at points. But I'd still rate him as one of the best directors Japan has ever produced, in live action or in animation, because his successes tower over his failures.

Oh, and to whoever said it, you'll get no death threats from me for saying that Akira is overrated. It may be the best single-movie condensation of the manga that you could ask for, but it's still a single-movie condensation of a manga that should have been at least two movies long. It basically jumps from the end of the 2nd volume to the 6th, cutting out most of the character growth as well as the explanations of what's going on. It's gorgeous in its visuals and its music, but it's hard to follow and shallow compared to the original manga.
Theowne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I am probably repeating several posters here, so I apologize for that. I have yet to find a convincing critique of Miyazaki's films, and this is really no different, and shows a fairly superficial interpretation of Miyazaki's films. I for one, wonder under what influenced he must have watched Princess Mononoke, since he apparently missed all the negative, savage portrayals of nature as well as the positive ones of Irontown and its residents.

Of course, at the end of the day, no matter what is said here or how many times "Miyazaki sucks at films" is repeated, Miyazaki will remain the most influential anime director and an icon both in Japan and abroad.

By the way, those of you who aren't biased, I suggest you read "Starting Point". It is a long series of essays and speeches by Miyazaki, and it will certainly enrich your understanding and appreciation of his mind and his approach to making films. You'll understand much more exactly how much thought and care goes into them, and why Miyazaki has the reputation that so many others in anime do not.

While I am not accusing anyone, I've often found that people who accuse him of being too preachy with environmentalist usually go into his films being hypersensitive to the topic already.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Victor Delacroix wrote:

Whoa...so there's a prediction that agriculture is going to sweep the nation. I can just imagine it now: Every tween and teenager 5 years from now are going to be sneaking out of the houses under their parents' noses to go farming. Then a hardcore group will emerge who will condemn anyone who grows their rutabagas in any method but theirs.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Whoa...so there's a prediction that agriculture is going to sweep the nation. I can just imagine it now: Every tween and teenager 5 years from now are going to be sneaking out of the houses under their parents' noses to go farming. Then a hardcore group will emerge who will condemn anyone who grows their rutabagas in any method but theirs.

It sort of worked for Harvest Moon Smile.

Apparently the prediction was for something else that nobody knows much about, by the way, and the agriculture thing is what was mistaken for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9