• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Miyazaki's pro-environmental messages not only distract from the story (themes should not eclipse the story like he makes them do), but they also show him up to be a complete luddite who hates humanity. He has mellowed a bit with age, thank goodness.

I don't get this charge. There's almost always a strong element of humanity in his work, not just nature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sceleris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
[Ketsu Inu is] apparently about brightly-colored super deformed moe-children

It seems that show is called Nougyou Musume (Agriculture Girls). Ketsu Inu (Butt Dog) is apparently about the dog that looks like a butt.

(This changes everything! The butt dog is going to save anime!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I loved, loved, LOVED the Miyazaki rant!

Although I wouldn't have put much thought into any of his movies--for me, they're escapist entertainment at best. And how am I supposed to enjoy a creator whose characters all look the same? Everyone, including the women, looks like medieval pageboys with bland features and vomit tears. Sure, the backgrounds are good. But nobody but an aspiring cartoonist watches animated features for their backgrounds. They watch for the story, and the characters. And, in a Miyazaki fan's case, the plot holes.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, surprised Anno survived this one (then again, it seems everyone and their mom loved Eva Rebuild #1-2, so maybe it's not surprising). Anyway, I don't really bother reading rants, but as I was skimming down to the "click to get to posts" link, my eye caught a rather glaring error:

Miyazaki is NOT directing the Borrowers film. Please research these things before throwing out assumptions.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised no one is defending Yoko Kanno. Imagine how Bebop and Wolf's Rain would be without her music. Music helps set the mood and helps with the story, and I don't think anyone but Kanno could do it. She's a musical genius, imo.

And about the Miyazaki rant: He doesn't develop his characters well enough? When I watch Ponyo, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle, I easily understood the characters' motives and personalities, I even got what their backgrounds were. And lol about Miyazaki only being about Nature, he does show the humanity of people too.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
I am surprised no one is defending Yoko Kanno. Imagine how Bebop and Wolf's Rain would be without her music. Music helps set the mood and helps with the story, and I don't think anyone but Kanno could do it. She's a musical genius, imo.

Yoko Kanno doesn't really need defending. Her works speaks for itself.

At least this person didn't pull out the old "Yoko Kanno plagiarizes" bullshit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
did that one guy rip Daisuke Higuchi for writing/drawing Legendz? Because I thought he was the manga-ka for Whistle! and nothing else. Do you mean Makoto Haruno?

As for the guy harping on Miyazaki, I kind of understand what you are saying about Nausicaa, but really, that's your fault for watching the anime and not the manga. You seriously cannot judge that series by the movie.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
As for the guy harping on Miyazaki, I kind of understand what you are saying about Nausicaa, but really, that's your fault for watching the anime and not the manga.

Well that's completely stupid and utterly unfair. It wasn't C.J.'s fault that Miyazaki made the movie inferior to the Manga.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Wooga wrote:
As for the guy harping on Miyazaki, I kind of understand what you are saying about Nausicaa, but really, that's your fault for watching the anime and not the manga.

Well that's completely stupid and utterly unfair. It wasn't C.J.'s fault that Miyazaki made the movie inferior to the Manga.

His whole argument is kind of unfair. He critcizes Miyazaki's overuse of female character who only cry and do chores. Then he says he hates Nausicaa... a well written proactive female character who is trying to save the world from environmental collapse by understanding things instead of destroying them. There's no winning, is there?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yoko Kanno doesn't really need defending. Her works speaks for itself.

Even if you hate Arjuna or BrainPowerd (and you'd have good reason to), her music for them is fantastic. But I'd be the first to say her work on Darker than Black was below her usual level, and I liked the switch to the new composer in the second season.

Shoji Kawamori, though...man, talk about a hit and miss career. He's done some of the best stuff I've ever seen and some of the weakest. As much as Arjuna did have some interesting ideas here and there, it really does NOT work as a story, and much of it is pure nonsense. And Basquash!... I really did not like that series. Admittedly I only got about 4 or 5 episodes into it, and it was absolutely visually stunning, but otherwise it was just juvenile and pretty darn awful. Just go back to making Macross, Kawamori, it's what you do best.

What I'm amazed we didn't see was someone who hate moe-driven shows going after Key. They would seem like an obvious ire-magnet.

dtm42 wrote:

I love them both and think they're both masterpieces (Nausicaa is my favorite Miyazaki movie). Miyazaki only started writing the manga to raise money for the movie, but then the manga just took on a life of its own and became an even more epic work after the movie was completed.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
That was a fairly poor attempt to avoid the point, Wooga. Whether or not he was unfair to Miyazaki (he wasn't), you still criticised him for something that was completely out of his control. The movie is inferior to the Manga, and that fault belongs with Miyazaki, not C.J.. Really, after such an abhorrent deus ex machina at the end, I wouldn't be surprised if C.J. had never bothered to read the Manga.

He wasn't unfair to Miyazaki or even the character of Nausicaa (as depicted in the movie at least) because hey, she wasn't as strong as you claim. She had it easy in her little valley, and she could afford to practice her tree-hugging skills as vile creatures, a toxic forest and a inhospitable desert all conspired to crush the rest of humanity. Miyazaki went all anti-technology and anti-humanity on us in the movie, but he gives the titular character and "heroine" - the same freaking eco-bitch - a TURBINE-PROPELLED AIRCRAFT. So technology is bad, and defending your home is bad, and trying to survive is bad, unless you are the supposed heroine, and then it is all okay.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Wait wait wait. Did TAN just get nominated for "worst creative-type" because they put anime in the wrong sections of the "On Demand" channel? I look at their channel and see 3 categories: "Action" "Girl Power" "Super Happy Funtime" and while you MIGHT be able to force those shows mentioned into the "Super Happy Funtime" section, I'd have to say they fit better in "Girl Power" considering they are girls who have power Wink And even if you were right, um, how does that little mistake make them "worst creative-type?" I'd say they do a pretty good job at being creative. The commercials are nice (come on, who doesn't want to hug that robot? Wink ).
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
He wasn't unfair to Miyazaki or even the character of Nausicaa (as depicted in the movie at least) because hey, she wasn't as strong as you claim. She had it easy in her little valley, and she could afford to practice her tree-hugging skills as vile creatures, a toxic forest and a inhospitable desert all conspired to crush the rest of humanity. Miyazaki went all anti-technology and anti-humanity on us in the movie, but he gives the titular character and "heroine" - the same freaking eco-bitch - a TURBINE-PROPELLED AIRCRAFT. So technology is bad, and defending your home is bad, and trying to survive is bad, unless you are the supposed heroine, and then it is all okay.

So you missed everything about how the forest was helping, and the animals, like Nausicaa and the other people of the valley, were just defending their home, not going on the offensive? lkmjr spelled it out pretty well in his post. The moral of Nausicaa has always struck me as being just as much about not lashing out at something or someone just because it seems scary as it was about the environmentalist message.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Even Canadians find negative things about Americans, and we know them the best. Smile

Usually I find that when America is portrayed negatively it's because someone is just whining about America beating the Japanese during WWII. And it can really be off-putting when it shows up, especially when it comes across as blatant.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Even Canadians find negative things about Americans, and we know them the best. Smile

Doesn't familiarity breed contempt? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9