Forum - View topic
Neon Alley Show Acquisitions Suggestions Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Actually, I was under the impression that Gatchaman Crowds was licensed and was being simulcast via Crunchy Roll. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of sending it over to Neon Alley?

No, because if Neon Alley got it, it would be dubbed.

That's.... KINDA the whole point behind the service, ya know. Confused
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, I totally understand what you mean. I simply meant from a legal standpoint. Would they be able to produce a dub separate from Crunchy Roll's existing distribution? Could a deal like that be worked out?
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Oh no, I totally understand what you mean. I simply meant from a legal standpoint. Would they be able to produce a dub separate from Crunchy Roll's existing distribution? Could a deal like that be worked out?

Yeah of course. That happens all the time. They'd be going through the japanese distributor not CR and as long as they get the license from them they can do whatever they want with it
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:

Unlike home video distribution rights, streaming rights are almost never exclusive. Which is why you'll see some shows like Madoka on pretty much every legal streaming site out there (Crunchyroll, Crackle, Hulu, Daisuki, and coming soon to - you guessed it - Neon Alley).

Even FUNimation.com isn't exempt from this, as the recent example of Attack on Titan has proven.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
See, that's what had actually confused me. I was under the impression that a number of these contracts had been negotiated exclusively. That's why I was surprised that they could be distributed over such a wide variety of channels. To be honest, I'm actually really glad that I was wrong since it makes it more likely that I would be able to actually view some of these shows. I don't have the equipment that would let me view Neon Alley shows to be honest.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
See, that's what had actually confused me. I was under the impression that a number of these contracts had been negotiated exclusively. That's why I was surprised that they could be distributed over such a wide variety of channels. To be honest, I'm actually really glad that I was wrong since it makes it more likely that I would be able to actually view some of these shows. I don't have the equipment that would let me view Neon Alley shows to be honest.

Your PC can't do it?
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
I should rephrase that, because theoretically my computer could do it yes. I mean I don't own something like an X-Box 360 or PS3 that would make the service more attractive to me. I'm actually more interested overall in the Weekly Shonen Jump digital magazine they produce, to which I do subscribe.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I should rephrase that, because theoretically my computer could do it yes. I mean I don't own something like an X-Box 360 or PS3 that would make the service more attractive to me. I'm actually more interested overall in the Weekly Shonen Jump digital magazine they produce, to which I do subscribe.

Oh I see.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Do you stream this type of content on your computer then? I thought everyone used some kind of set-top-box besides me.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Any chance of adding Blue Exorcist: The Movie to the Fall line-up?

Not every fan has a theatrical screening near their city and unless there's a last minute addition it's likely Aniplex USA won't release it on DVD/Blu-ray until early 2014...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Any chance of adding Blue Exorcist: The Movie to the Fall line-up?

Not every fan has a theatrical screening near their city and unless there's a last minute addition it's likely Aniplex USA won't release it on DVD/Blu-ray until early 2014...

Plus from them, it'll probably cost over 50 bucks. So any way to watch it for less than that is greatly appreciated.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
A few (hopefully) helpful suggestions:

Long form Shonen:
With your Naruto Shippuden as your only long term premiere show once Nura ends, I really feel as if you guys ought to be looking into more shows with indeterminate (or at minimum longer than the usual 12-26 episodes) length. These should get you at least a year of air time should you take them on.

Beelzebub: Considering how similar the character designs look to those of Bleach, I think you could get some mileage out of this beyond the broadcast run.
Fairy Tail: I would very much like to see this on a broadcast network, but I'd rather it not waste FUNimation's second Toonami premiere slot.
Gintama: Sentai hasn't dubbed this yet, but maybe some demand from a broadcaster could change that.
Hunter X Hunter: Seems this one is licensed already, though no one really knows who has it. Maybe it's time to poke around to find out who did, and pick it up from whoever got it.
Saint Seiya Omega: A franchise that never really took off here in the States, but Toei seems to want to try again with it. Maybe you guys could grab it and give it a shot.
SKET Dance: I'd say Sentai likely has this as part of their massive sweeping deal with Tatsunoko. Since I don't think it really fits Toonami's style, maybe you guys could have a shot at promoting it.
Toriko: FUNimation seems to be having a rough time promoting the DVD release of this, maybe you guys can step in and give them a hand.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
I had forgotten that Funimation was having such a hard time with Toriko. Considering that Viz has the rights to the Toriko manga that could be a really great pick. I think that I would really like to see that go this sort of route actually.

Did you have an idea for a long form shonen series that you'd like to see like this?
Thenobleshinobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Sorry guys I have been pretty swamped with working 2 jobs and completing my online classes, the time I do have to spare I am using it to catch up on the great shows Neon Alley has to offer.

I'm thrilled my request for Blood Lad got picked up but I'm still hoping we can get Katekyo Hitman Reborn sometime soon.

I'm also throwing in my vote for Saint Saiya Omega, the PS3 game being developed for it looks awesome and I'm glad to hear Toei is trying to give it another chance.

I look forward to seeing Magi, not really too psyched about Madoka Magica though I think I would have preferred Skull-Man or even Hero-Man for that matter as it would have been a great Super-hero follow up that Tiger & Bunny got us hooked on.

Smile
sam6782

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Yo Neon Alley staff. Just felt like dropping a few future shows suggestions that I haven't made previously considering most of these shows come out in Japan next month.

Tokyo Ravens and Strike The Blood seem like shows that would fit really well with the block in future considering they both seem like supernatural action esque shows.

I do hope you guys into those titles in the future. Keep up the good work,guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Neon Alley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7