• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai needs to release Gundam Unicorn novel in the States.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpgc4life

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I am up to volume 6 of the 10 volume series. After reading novel 1 and 2 which is like volume 1 of the anime, I would say about at least 30-40% of the material got omitted/compressed, there is about 100-150 pages of prologue which talks about the old man you see in the beginning of the anime, right 150 pages worth of content got omitted, We get to see him for less than 10 secs.

The major thing got changed is how Audrey Burne met Banagher Links, anime just gave us the typical newtype sensing stuff, but the book explained how he saw her falling down from the “sky”. The book also spent quite a bit of time explaining how the mechanical colony works such as the gravity and it also talks about the previous Gryps wars, Neo Zeon resistances and etc.

Basically the anime feels like to me is a supplement to the novel by giving us superb fighting scenes, if you want to know the detail about each characters and how they feel towards each other, you need to read the novel.

I saw the anime before I read the novel and I always wonder why the hell Londo Bell troops doesn’t have any line and it always gave me an awkward feeling. But when I read when the novel everyone has their own lines and for those wonder why Londo Bell acts more like terriorists destroying the colony, the book also explains this in detail.

A lot of stuff picks up from volume 3 – volume 6, and I think it will be a difficult job for sunrise not to cut too much content and not leaves us with some unanswered questions because a lot of stuff picks in the subsequent novels, volume 1+2 has 400 pages combined but volume 5 and 6 has 300 pages alone.

Also if people felt turned off because of how Unicorn talks about previous UC gundam, the good news is there are more UC related characters, events coming up in the subsequent anime. Pretty much everyone knows who is Audrey Burne because of her haircut, but there are other characters that are from previous UC series that plays heavy roles in Unicorn. Is he Bright Noa? Yes he is one of them, you can pretty much expect him when Banagher’s dad talks about him . The thing is I don’t know how Sunrise is going to voice him since the seriyu died a couple of years ago.

I really feel bad if Bandai, Sunrise doesn’t release the novel for English speakers, they are missing out a lot of story, the story is that good. If 12 kokuki warrants an English release, Unicorn deserves one too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Basically the anime feels like to me is a supplement to the novel by giving us superb fighting scenes, if you want to know the detail about each characters and how they feel towards each other, you need to read the novel.

Congratulations. You've figured it out. This is how a lot of adaptions are.
dpgc4life

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
Right, LoTR adapations I can go to chapters and buy all the novels and read it ifI choose to. Can you buy Unicorn novels if you are interested, not unless you know how to read Japanese, dont know why are you tryign to be sacastic. LoL
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
First, based on the first episode of Unicorn that I've seen, I thought I was getting all that I needed to get. Why not give Sunrise some slack and wait until the second episode to decide whether they've screwed up or not?

Second, while it would be nice to have the novels licensed and translated, that's not likely to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1