• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Ent. Adds Code Geass: Knights & Queens Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Pride? Isn't this the same Code Geass that had product placements for Pizza Hut everywhere but in the opening sequences?

What holds pride in this day and age, my friend? You got my point at least. Wink
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
bleachigo66 wrote:
Obviously the writers of any series are aware of doshinji, I am disappointed that the same series that is held in such high regard for their plots has decided to take the doshinji fanservice road just to make money. There is a big difference between "feeding" doshinji makers, and publishing it themselves. I don't have a problem with doshinji in general, I just think Code Geass should have stopped while they were ahead.

I wonder, is there a real need to complain about this? They're just making some money out of it; not forcing anyone to buy either. Or are you just so worried about Code Geass' pride and decency. This is by no means where they're stopping, and I do put some faith in the next series. And like I said, there's absolutely nothing forcing you to watch any spin-off or sequel, so you really won't have to taint your past experience with Code Geass, that is, unless you're that worried about Code Geass' popularity.

I know I don't have to read it, and I probably wont. I just found it sad that one of my favorite series has a book coming out with CC grabbing Kallen's brest while her ass is exposed, on the cover! I am entitled to an opinion and so is everyone else.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
CC grabbing Kallen's brest while her ass is exposed

That's the good stuff!
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
CC grabbing Kallen's brest while her ass is exposed

That's the good stuff!

Clearly this is where we differ.
strike_zero00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think that bandai would even license this, I have Vol.4 of this and its japanese so I'm glad that its getting translated!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:

You pretty much made my point for me.
Obviously the writers of any series are aware of doshinji, I am disapointed that the same series that is held in such high regard for their plots has decided to take the doshinji fanservice road just to make money. There is a big difference between "feeding" doshinji makers, and publishing it themselves. I don't have a problem with doshinji in general, I just think Code Geass should have stopped while they were ahead.

Code Geass has been a crass attempt to make as much money as possible all along. Why else hire Clamp for the character designs? They hired some nice name-brand VA's. Commercial tie-ins...
There was never an "ahead" to stop at.
Code Geass was prostituting itself out from conception.
What's so great is it knows what it is & revels in it.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
^To be fair though, you could say the same thing about the majority of popular TV anime out there, particularly those with significant commercial and marketing interests behind them, with only circumstantial differences involved.

Remember those controversial One Piece mousepads that were all over the news a while ago? Or how about, for instance, the fact that Gainax has put out all sorts of merchandise to exploit both Neon Genesis Evangelion and even, most recently, Gurren Lagann, some of which would make these anthologies look tame in comparison? If anything, pandering to the otaku market has become the rule rather than the exception these days so it's simply something we have to accept, regardless of our personal morality or anything else.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
That's what I meant by Geass knows what it is.
Geass know's it's a cheap whore & totally flaunts it.
I never saw it as trying to be deep or meaningful in any way. It exists to make money & it can make the most money with product tie-ins, popular cast members, nice/cool/sexy images/characters & playing with the emotions of the audience.
The Japanese cast commentaries include such comments as this or that actor being totally lost, this or that actor being totally shocked at this or that happening, etc.
Keep them wanting more.

There have been more than a few entertainers who flaunt themselves with such lines as "Hello, suckers!" etc. They still managed to have fans at the shows. Code Geass is in this area. It's a lot of fun. I know if it took itself seriously, I wouldn't like it as much as I do.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh. To be fair, any popular anime would try to suck as much money out of it as possible. If your favorite anime doesn't do that, it just means it's not popular enough. Would be quite foolish to believe in an anime's honor when every anime was made to make money; no exceptions. But because this one is fairly popular, it attracts a whole lot of whiners, enough to fill 3 cruisers. If you don't like it, don't buy or read it, as simple as it could be.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if you misunderstand me.
I said I love Geass.
I hate pretentious stuff like Evangelion. This is why Geass works-it doesn't try to be all deep & meaningful. It only seeks to confuse the viewer enough that they'll watch it to the end. It's like ham actors. The really bad ones are awful, but the good ones have fun, chew up the stage & make it work even if the material reeks. One can tell the cast really had fun with Geass. Lelouche is all flamboyant waving around. This is why I really can't see Geass without Lelouche. Geass with Suzaku or someone else in the lead would be dull-a carbon copy of a dozen (hundred?) other titles.
I'm disappointed we haven't gotten a box for R2 & also that Bandai's cheaped out on the extras although I am still buying the "Limited Edition" or whatever it's called. (the dvd plus manga still comes out a bit cheaper than if one bought each alone)
Geass is more fun than Bleach overall. That's not saying it's better, but it is way more fun. Bleach has humor, but overall takes itself pretty seriously.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3