• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-26]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for trying manga/anime that is artistic and different, but I don't always end up liking them. Sometimes the art is just too strange to keep me focused or it just doesn't hit off with me. But I'll certainly try them, especially since these series seem to be shorter and don't take a big commitment.
PMDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Back in the old days when I ran anime video rooms for a convention, I happened to overhear a conversation that has stuck with me forever basically.

We'd posted the schedule on the wall of course like everyone and there were two fans looking it over trying to decide if they wanted to see what was showing or not. And the conversation went like this:

Fan 1: What's showing? Huh?
Fan 2: Well, I've never heard of it, so it has to suck!
Fan 1: Yeah, let's go do something else.

That attitude -If I in all my universal knowledge have not heard of this, then it's garbage unworthy of comment- is still all around.

Back in my day, we didn't have downloads or torrents. Most of us didn't have computers. So you could forgive someone for not hearing about a certain anime.

Nowadays it's hard to not run across something at least once, at least by hearing of it if not actually seeing it. But people tend to stick to what they know and won't venture into anything else.

Same with anime, food and food brands, clothing, regular TV shows, etc. Thinking outside the box is a lot easier said than done.

What worried me for years about that conversation was that anime is something inherently foreign to most of us, which features what amounts to an alien language and strange cultural concepts and norms, and ways of storytelling, and it's all basically different from what we know in "regular" culture, so to have anything to do with it at all requires some open-mindedness.

I have never been able to make that concept of accepting the unknown jibe with the attitude of rejecting the unknown at the same time. Shrug
PMDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

I found it funny that they posted this on their website.

AnimeDVDSupply wrote:
Are the DVDs your selling real or burned copies?
Please know when you make a purchase on our website you will not receive some cheap burned DVD-r(s). We do not sell home made or burned copies ever. All products on our site are professionally pressed, brand new, they have the barcode and copyright notice. Every set has full artwork and a keepsake case.

What the hell does that mean exactly, lol.

With the caveat that I know nothing about this particular company at all, and they could be entirely legit. I dunno.

But the fact is that disc pressing and manufacturing equipment is cheap enough to own, or perhaps they have a supplier who uses such equipment, so they don't need to bother with burned discs. That's what they seem to be saying.

Professional disc mastering with actual pressed media can be done with gear that can fit in a garage or storage unit. It's not terribly hard to do and not very expensive. DVD cases are cheap and easy to get. Making the labels and packaging is also easy with the advent of cheap color laser printers. Lots of hungry printing companies out there too.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to anime, I'm willing to try almost anything (except for hentai). It doesn't matter to me whether it's commercial or artsy/different. However, just because I will try the artsy/different stuff, it doesn't mean that I'll necessary like it. Of course, the same also goes for the more "mainstream" and "known" anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
PMDR wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

I found it funny that they posted this on their website.

AnimeDVDSupply wrote:
Are the DVDs your selling real or burned copies?
Please know when you make a purchase on our website you will not receive some cheap burned DVD-r(s). We do not sell home made or burned copies ever. All products on our site are professionally pressed, brand new, they have the barcode and copyright notice. Every set has full artwork and a keepsake case.

What the hell does that mean exactly, lol.

With the caveat that I know nothing about this particular company at all, and they could be entirely legit. I dunno.

But the fact is that disc pressing and manufacturing equipment is cheap enough to own, or perhaps they have a supplier who uses such equipment, so they don't need to bother with burned discs. That's what they seem to be saying.

Professional disc mastering with actual pressed media can be done with gear that can fit in a garage or storage unit. It's not terribly hard to do and not very expensive. DVD cases are cheap and easy to get. Making the labels and packaging is also easy with the advent of cheap color laser printers. Lots of hungry printing companies out there too.

They can print copies of copies but it also goes to the fact that specific companies have to carry a license to distribute these dvds in the first place. That's the part that makes no sense to me. The images on the DVD could have a barcode, but if you try to scan it, you'll never find that DVD in the store by THAT company, because they really never purchased the rights to it.

I'm gonna get a scanner app on my phone and see what this Sailor Moon DVD I have pulls up.

-
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
I have that "I would die for Haruhi" shirt that Maegin mentioned, and wear it around. The dental assistant always asks about whatever anime shirt I'm wearing whenever I go there, but I'm pretty sure she's just being polite.

On the topic of this week's question, I suppose by and large I just play it safe and go with what looks comfortable, but it's pretty tough not to. There's very little ground breakingly different looking anime being released these days, so just making an initial decision to watch or not, I base it on how it looks, and that means going with what looks like what I enjoyed in the past. Granted, if I hear a title is great and it would be a shame to pass on it, then even if it has a different art style than I'm used to or comfortable with, then I'll certainly give it a chance. I'm open to everything except for yaoi after all, so art style isn't that big a sticking point.
coldspider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Brian, I have a question about next week's question.

Exactly what do you mean by "artistic"? Are you talking about titles like Trapeze and Tortov Roddle? Or do you also include things like say, Time of Eve and even shows like Durarara or Mushi-shi? (since I consider those last two "artistic" as well)

I have to ask as well,this week's new answerfan question has me a bit confused.It could also be interperted as,"Do you ever watch stuff that's good? Or do you always stick to crap?"

I mean,it makes it sound as if 95% of anime really is tripe.Or a lot of anime fans are just plain dumb.Or both.

And you gotta admit it's sort of bad timing asking this after reading all those people's heartfelt testimonials on why anime is great,and why they love anime.

And yeah,what counts as "art"? Lain? Eva? Elfen Lied? Furi Kuri? Bebop? Jin-Roh? Anything Miyazaki? I think you get my drift....

With that said,I *think* I know what the question's asking.And if I do know just what the heck the Answerman is talking about,then yeah,Spring and Chaos is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Identical twins aren't exactly common; they comprise only 0.2% of the human population (THANKS, WIKIPEDIA!) and I've certainly never met any.

Seriously? There were twins in my swimming class, twins in my brother's school class, twins in the class above him, twins in my class in my first year of junior high... And for some reason there was always, if they were girls, one girl named Iris.

Last edited by Tamaria on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote
I think Answerman opened a can of worms that'll have people arguing over what is art now with this week's question, if they have the energy to start that pointless argument. I think some of the answers may be kind of boring because who's going to come out straight and say they're a closed minded person who only likes formulaic things?

Then again maybe one of the usual flakes of the week or something will surprise and entertain us.

I think Brian would get more amusing reactions if he mentioned a random "art" title in the question and asked people what they thought about it. I can see something like Angel's Egg causing a whole mess of confusion.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
I have to ask as well,this week's new answerfan question has me a bit confused.It could also be interperted as,"Do you ever watch stuff that's good? Or do you always stick to crap?"

I mean,it makes it sound as if 95% of anime really is tripe.Or a lot of anime fans are just plain dumb.Or both.

There is absolutely nothing in the question that makes it sound like that. If people are interpreting it as such it is out of their own readiness to take offense. It is simply asking whether you prefer to stick with more conventional stuff or whether you're interested in more unusual/different/artistic stuff. It's not imparting any kind of judgment on either.

Quote:
And you gotta admit it's sort of bad timing asking this after reading all those people's heartfelt testimonials on why anime is great,and why they love anime.

I'm pretty sure any time is a bad time to say 'most anime sucks and most fans are dumb' on an anime column. Again though, this is not the case.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:

There is absolutely nothing in the question that makes it sound like that. If people are interpreting it as such it is out of their own readiness to take offense. It is simply asking whether you prefer to stick with more conventional stuff or whether you're interested in more unusual/different/artistic stuff. It's not imparting any kind of judgment on either.

Yes, and how willing you are to leave your own comfort zone. For instance, say you usually read stuff like Fruits Basket and Naruto, would you read something like Tekkonkinkreet or A Drifting Life if a friend recommended it to you?
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
PMDR wrote:

I checked a few Ghibli titles and yep, they are selling boots.

Reported them to the enforcement people at Buena Vista and to the international vice president of Ghibli (who I still owe a beer for favors done).

If you ever find Ghibli boots for sale report them to the legit distributor at:

[email protected]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
You've never met any identical twins, Brian? There were two sets in my high school class (that I know of). Also, the opposite personalities thing has some basis in real life, as it helps establish distinct identities for them.

coldspider wrote:

You're getting too hung up on the word "artistic" and ignoring the word "different". The opposition to this being "safe and predictable". So different and artistic would be stuff like Kaiba and Mushi-shi, while safe and predictable would be your Shonen Jump series, your harem comedies, and what not.

Then again, considering who is answering, this could vary from person to person. For most guys, Princess Tutu would probably be considered a deviation from the norm, but for those who typically seek out magical girl shows, it's still within their comfort zone. Or for action fans, Aria would be a change of pace, while it's pretty much required viewing for a slice-of-life fan.
haplessweasel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
Stop saying literally when you mean figuratively! Nobody literally went to town, probably! Anime cry
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

Seriously? There were twins in my swimming class, twins in my brother's school class, twins in the class above him, twins in my class in my first year of junior high... And for some reason there was always, if they were girls, atleast one girl named Iris.

Being twins doesn't necessarily mean that they were identical, though. Most twins are fraternal, meaning there were two eggs at conception, as opposed to identical, where the egg split into two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5