• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Incarnate's Simmons Addresses Alleged Bleach Copying

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B.K.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
He changed his tune quickly. Just yesterday, he was claiming that he'd never heard of Bleach and said he'd sue anyone that was saying online that he had plagiarized anything.
Momoyuki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't it established that that very panel from the Bleach manga was from a scanlation? If he actually admires and supports Kubo Tite, why is he copying panels from the scanlations? Rolling Eyes

His apology irritates the artist in me.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
"Homage". Lol, he considers tracing Kubo's work as a "homage"? More like direct plagiarism. Rolling Eyes
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
(I've always wanted to use this....!)

I'm sorry Simmons...But tracing is not a form of "homage."
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
This admission is rather hilarious in light of his fanatical defense on facebook. Crazy stuff.

You know his facebook stuff was just some random person from 4chan right?

They had a big thing with it Rolling Eyes
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Bull. The whole apology is utter bull if you ask me. I seen the picture(s) and, while some of them you could argue are very 'similar' in appearence, like one, two, or three of the characters. Others, other characters, other scenes, pages..... clearly you could tell they were copied. Clearly. You would have to be extremely, extremely dumb, with very bad eyesight on top to look at those pics and say otherwise. Atleast thats what I think. It wasn't just one or two but quite a few. I'm not going to say they all looked copied, but a good portion of them did. Enough of a good portion where someone should have caught on a little sooner. Though i'm not 100% sure how long ago people picked up on this so I won't get into that. But i'd be shocked to hear that this guy, later on/someday, will/would be allowed to start this comic up again one day and still get a profit off it. I'd be a bit shocked (or am shocked rather) that he hasn't/isn't/won't get charged somehow.
Chibi Buizel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I seriously couldn't keep a straight face while reading this.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Momoyuki wrote:
Wasn't it established that that very panel from the Bleach manga was from a scanlation? If he actually admires and supports Kubo Tite, why is he copying panels from the scanlations?

I don't think you understand scanlations. I have Japanese Negima manga, the English Negima manga and some scanlations. Oddly enough the art is the same in all of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TwEeD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Momoyuki wrote:
Wasn't it established that that very panel from the Bleach manga was from a scanlation? If he actually admires and supports Kubo Tite, why is he copying panels from the scanlations?

I don't think you understand scanlations. I have Japanese Negima manga, the English Negima manga and some scanlations. Oddly enough the art is the same in all of them.

from what I gathered he copied art of chapters that weren't out yet in tankobon form at that time. But yeah could be he had a subscription to WSJ, although if he can't read japanese it wouldn't be a big chance
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, I can't believe I hadn't heard about this earlier, but apparently before it was Incarnate, the book was called Skullduggery. A preview issue was published back in 2007 and the art is both (A) much less manga-styled, and (B) much, much crappier.

http://forum.superpouvoir.com/showthread.php?t=6315

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Momoyuki wrote:

I think what the original poster meant was that you could tell they were from scanlations because the Viz's official release hasn't published those chapters yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
He changed his tune quickly. Just yesterday, he was claiming that he'd never heard of Bleach and said he'd sue anyone that was saying online that he had plagiarized anything.

That's because it was some random 4channer trolling on facebook.
And it was a pretty damn good troll too because I fell for it as well.

Detergent and magma, heh.
domino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
inspiration is one thing, tracing is another. I hope he is locked out of publishing for years so he can actually learn to draw and develop a style of his own before releasing another book.

If you've seen his stuff on DA it's pretty obvious that he is far from ready from publishing his own comics. His artwork is in an infant stage that looks like something out of a middle schooler's notebook, but guess he wanted to publish something so badly that he traced to get it done.

Stolen art, made someone else do the coloring, and paid one of my favorite artists to draw the covers for him to catch eyes. It's depressing.
mrgetalife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
In the music world its called "sampling" *shrug* so I dunno, maybe he thought it would eventually become accepted.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
This kid didn't even know Bleach existed. When question originally, he said something to the effect is "What the hell is a 'magma'?" The word magma was VERBATIM.

Idiot kid plagiarizes work, gets caught, lies about it, looks even more of an idiot. And I don't even like Bleach or One Piece. Homage? My ass.
TwEeD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
mrgetalife wrote:
In the music world its called "sampling" *shrug* so I dunno, maybe he thought it would eventually become accepted.

I think you don't quite understand what sampling is about though, even in music when you just copy huge chunks and change almost nothing it is not considered sampling anymore but just blatant copying
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6