• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Case Closed: The Last Magician of the Century DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Umandsf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As the third movie based on the long-running TV series, The Last Magician of the Century debuted in April of 2009 during the original series' sixth season in Japan.

You're about a decade ahead of yourself. It came out 1999, not 2009.

Hmm, such praise to what I thought was a bit mediocre compared to the first two. Maybe when I rewatch it with my friend soon, I'll keep my eye open for things I may have missed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
Umandsf wrote:

Hmm, such praise to what I thought was a bit mediocre compared to the first two. Maybe when I rewatch it with my friend soon, I'll keep my eye open for things I may have missed.

I thought the 3rd was the first really good DC movie. Movie 1 felt like a TV episode with lots of filler, and the mystery was too easy(one of the few I figured out on my own.) And while movie 2 was quite good, the pacing still dragged a little for me. It's nice to see DC get so much coverage on ANN recently thanks to the movies. I agree that LAST MAGICIAN is a great movie for DC newcomers.
se37

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought for sure this movie was called "The Last Wizard of the Century" and not "The Last Magician of the Century"... see it's even shown on the box art that is posted on the review. Then again after looking at what the Alternative title say, it can be both but the box art does show it saying Wizard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And how does he pull off one of the disguises he does when the body style is totally different? The latter complaint can also be lodged against the assassin Scorpion in his shadowy depictions.

The generic shadow device is the DC way of showing the actions of unknown perpetrators without giving away their identity by body style before the ultimate reveal. It's been used throughout the series.

You could argue that if a point-of-view character like Conan can see the person, we should see what they see (and more often than not, we do), even if it's only a distinctly masculine or feminine shadow. But when they want to show us the killer doing things that no other characters observe, I think it's a legitimate device for giving us information to work with without giving away the game.

Can't answer for the Kid's disguise though. Remember, he is a magician! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1