• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Handley's Attorney Comments on Obscene Manga Case

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Lawyers who specialize in obscenity cases…track jury verdicts and can tell you with nearly 100% reliability whether what they're looking at would be ruled obscene by a jury…."

Tell that to the people who had to defend The Tin Drum in court.

And the Max Hardcore thing is TMI.

Quote:
Simply, you can't possess something without first receiving it. Yet, receipt carries the 5 year mandatory minimum sentence, while possession does not.

More retarded double-standard bullshit from the people who thought smoking marijuana deserves a harsher sentence than rape and murder. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
(I note that a ban on "kids having sex" pictures, even when only drawn, appears widely supported even by many otherwise apparently liberal bloggers.)

Well, these are probably the same dumb-fooks more appalled by sex in GTA than beating up hookers, so I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Unlike Max Hardcore, who opted for the trial (remember, his prosecution was equally, if not more, offensive to notions of free speech), Chris will likely never have a jail door slam behind him.

And Max actually has the dough to defend himself.

Quote:
In defense of Chris Handley, given his choices, I suppose all I can do is ask: What would you have done?

I'd probably appeal this shit, if possible.

Quote:
There exists a split among Federal Courts of Appeal in different parts of the country that the U.S. Supreme Court is expected to address and resolve.

Having a sexist pig like Clarence Thomas is probably the only advantage on our side.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
In defense of Chris Handley, given his choices, I suppose all I can do is ask: What would you have done?

I'd probably appeal this shit, if possible.

You can't appeal if you plead guilty, only if you're found guilty at trial.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1