• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: China to expand its anime market

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Doesen't this mean that Chinese government will actually try to shrink anime (Japanese animation) market by promoting Chinese animation instead or am I just uderstanding this wrong?
RZetlin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Has anybody seen what Chinese animation look like?
Razorlight6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2. Increase the share of Chinese original animations in the domestic market. Acquire a share of the international market;
5. Stricter import criteria, introduction of superior international games; preventing the import of goods that are unfit for the country;

There's your answer. You also can't rule out #1's "through legal and political measures." Rolling Eyes
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
RZetlin wrote:

I've seen My Life as McDull, which is from Hong Kong. It was pretty good, kinda like My Neighbors the Yamadas but with half the budget and lots of localized humor that went over my head.

But I'm really interested in seeing their old stuff like Nezha Conquers the Dragon, Uproar in Heaven, and Feelings From Mountain and Water. Really hard to find, but I've heard that they're nothing like anything from Japanese, American or European animation. I've seen pictures of a sixteen-volume box set (with some volumes being multiple discs) that contains nearly all the animation made in the country, but it doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote
There was Chinese Ghost Story that Viz did.

The Chinese government is always looking to bring stuff strictly into their local market. They commissioned SVCD to counteract DVD, and when people didn't like it they came up with EVD, essentially something that deviates from DVD enough to get around copyrights. They've done the same thing with cell phones, and are creating their own version of Linux to push on their personal computers.

It's not anime if it's not from Japan though.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not anime if it's not from Japan though.

Anime is just Japanse for animation, it doesn't nessessary mean that it's made it Japan. In that sense, the terms anime and animation shouldn't be seperate; they're the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote
RZetlin wrote:

Depending on what subject matter, studio, and audience the animation is geared towards, the styles can be quite varied. Growing up in China, I know the animation by Shanghai Art Studio (I think that's the right name) is famous for animating well-loved Chinese folk stories and legends and some of their most famous works are drawn in a calligraphy/painting inspired form. Some new animators influenced by Japanese anime draw anime-styled characters but the coloring are often too flat and to me doesn't have the right contrast of light and shadow, making it look kinda plane and very 2D-ish.

I hope China can develop its own style that will become popular, but with the heavy influence of Japan it seems a bit hard. Some Hong Kong artists though have produced very original (and very cool) looking mangas (BTW manga's Mandarin equivolent is "man-hua" which just means comic, not specificly Japanese comics) that have actually been made into live action drama series. Maybe one day they will animate them and that could help with China's desire to push into the international market. Smile
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime is just Japanse for animation, it doesn't nessessary mean that it's made it Japan. In that sense, the terms anime and animation shouldn't be seperate; they're the same.

Anime is the description of a style of animation and storytelling uniquely Japanese, and therefore cannot be created by non-Japanese.

It's Chinese animation, not anime.
Erufu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:23 am Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:

Anime is the description of a style of animation and storytelling uniquely Japanese, and therefore cannot be created by non-Japanese.

Yes, and I'm sure that the Chinese statement was either in Chinese and had to be translated by a 3rd party or was translated internally and the translator just called it anime. Remember, the term anime refers to anything animated in Japan and I'm sure that phrase and meaning has carried over to China to mean anything animated; it doesn't refer to just Japanese animated works.

As far as this goes, I know the Chinese government didn't like the Western influence they said movies were having on their youth and went as far as to push back some movie releases (I think Harry Potter might have been one of them) until after the summer break so that less children were likely to see them. The elder Chinese have been complaining that the younger generation has been changing. Sine they are putting in place laws to regulate Western influence, they have probably turned to other outside influence, and Japanese anime is a very big courier for Japanese culture. I mean, it's responsible for Pocky here in the states, by god. It sounds like the Chinese government does not like how "Japanese" their youth are becoming, so they are putting out their own stuff to stop this.
drone9
ANN News Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote
my bad. just noticed that the original article is actually not in Chinese but Japanese and speaks of animation rather than anime. it was due to my source that I went with the latter. I was mistaken to assume it common knowledge that anime as was pointed out, in Japan revers to anything animated. Anyway, the meaning of words is defined by their use. I am positive that with the growth of the animation industry in Asia (especially Korea), sooner or later the English term will revere to Asian animation in general.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:

The qualifying word that you're missing there is "in English." In English "anime" means Japanese animation.

In Japanese "anime" means animation.

I went out of my way not to use the term anime in the article, but I accidentally left it in the title... doh.
-t
Yoddha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:33 am Reply with quote
Aaaaaahhh..The Chinese Governments handling it? China has such a great GREAT culture, surely a lot of awesome stories can be told through animation. But since the Governmnet is controlling the project, a lot of dirty Communist propoganda is expected to be spread through their animation. Hence my reservations to buy their stuff.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:41 am Reply with quote
Don't really care about the propaganda. I just want them to pay their animators-and I guess their employees in general-a competitive wage, so they don't keep stealing our jobs.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
I think it might be a good shot for the Chinese government too earn some extra money from local-made animation then promote them locally and internationally.

The thing though is that, Chinese-made animation will never be better or be equal to that of Japanese anime.

Not now, not in a hundred years, never.

It may become very strong in China and may locally be more competitive than Japanese animation BUT outside the "motherland", Japanese anime will dominate the majority and Chinese anime only gets a smaller portion of anime viewers.

The same would also go with Chinese-made automobiles/cars. It will be strong in the local market but will never reach the global top 10 automotive manufacturers in more than a hundred years.

Just my two cents.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In Japanese "anime" means animation.

That was what I was trying to say. Thanks.

Quote:
The thing though is that, Chinese-made animation will never be better or be equal to that of Japanese anime.

Not now, not in a hundred years, never.

Don't be an obnoxious Japanophile anime fan. Chinese aniamted feature films actually came before the Japanese, with The Wan Brothers' Princess Iron Fan in 1926.

Here's some more info, and a few pictures from those of you who want to know what Chinese animation looks like:
http://www.10thnpc.org.cn/english/2003/Aug/72789.htm

While most consider Japanese animation to be better, don't automatically assume that it will always be that way.

Last edited by Haru to Ashura on Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2