• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's A Little Bit Funi, This Feeling Inside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetstream2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Judge Of Toyama wrote:
tangytangerine wrote:

Uh-oh, the Case Closed can of worms has been opened. This could be trouble.

As for the tv series and ova's, if dubbing them is not possible, I wouldn't mind a sub only release for it.

If more Case Closed were to be released as sub only, my husband and I would be all over those releases, because we actually tend to prefer watching anime with subtitles whenever possible. Also, my 15-year-old and 12-year-old really like Case Closed, and they're disappointed that there aren't more episodes that are available legally in North America.

Funimation, or maybe Crunchyroll, should just consider streaming the show with subs. It is probably the best option for continuing Case Closed. Taking into account the show's length and popularity, even if Funimation was to do a sub only release, I doubt we would see any more than another season or two.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Jetstream2 wrote:
ljaesch wrote:
Judge Of Toyama wrote:
tangytangerine wrote:

Uh-oh, the Case Closed can of worms has been opened. This could be trouble.

As for the tv series and ova's, if dubbing them is not possible, I wouldn't mind a sub only release for it.

If more Case Closed were to be released as sub only, my husband and I would be all over those releases, because we actually tend to prefer watching anime with subtitles whenever possible. Also, my 15-year-old and 12-year-old really like Case Closed, and they're disappointed that there aren't more episodes that are available legally in North America.

Funimation, or maybe Crunchyroll, should just consider streaming the show with subs. It is probably the best option for continuing Case Closed. Taking into account the show's length and popularity, even if Funimation was to do a sub only release, I doubt we would see any more than another season or two.

At what point do you just accept that something is a failure and is not financially viable?

How many times do they need to lose money on something before people stop asking them to keep trying with it?
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
At what point do you just accept that something is a failure and is not financially viable?

How many times do they need to lose money on something before people stop asking them to keep trying with it?

While I would love to see more Case Closed, I know that it's never realistically ever going to happen. Especially when, I believe it was Lance, made the 5% comment.

At this point, I think we've got a better chance of seeing pigs sprout wings and fly than seeing any further releases of the Case Closed anime in North America.

At least I can read the manga to get my Case Closed fix. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Zac wrote:

While I would love to see more Case Closed, I know that it's never realistically ever going to happen. Especially when, I believe it was Lance, made the 5% comment.

At this point, I think we've got a better chance of seeing pigs sprout wings and fly than seeing any further releases of the Case Closed anime in North America.

At least I can read the manga to get my Case Closed fix. Smile

Why is a sub only release so unrealistic when the manga is still on the new york times list for multiple weeks after 42 volumes. what other manga series has pulled that off? and yet it is impossible for a sub only release to actually sell? You might get tired of hearing about it but that does not mean that it is unrealistic also many conan fans were alienated by the case closed dub, and releasing it sub only might be the signal some of them need that it is not being edited anymore. (fans are not always rational after all)
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I got really excited when the missing Shakugan no Shana OVA/special episode was brought up (it's full title is "Shakugan no Shana Special: Love and Outdoor Hot Spring Tutorial!"). Unfortunately, Lance's answer lead no where.

WHERE IS THIS EPISODE????

Initially I thought you were just crazy, but you did acknowledge that it was on the Geneon release.

I assumed that FUNimation's re-release of Shana S1 had the OVA, but it doesn't. Interesting.

Nope, it was missing. To be fair, the episode was on the Season 2 boxset of the Japanese Blu-ray release, and I guess it could still end up on FUNi's Season 2 set, since it's not out yet. We'll have to wait and see.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Interesting podcast, always enjoy seeing these guys on the show.

I only have a couple of comments:

I too am confused about how the Funi guys didn't even know the extra Hellsing Ultimate ep. was even on the set. I mean they can't watch everything sure, but this was definitely one of their bigger titles, and they did talk a whole lot about important the extras were on this set...so how could they not know about this extra. Regardless, I'm still curious, so I hope that whenever they do find out, they let use know why this thing wasn't dubbed.

I've never actually seen Serial Experiments lain. I know how big a series it is and I would love to see it...but this Blu-ray problem may prevent me from doing so. Regardless of what Zac says, I've seen the screenshot comparisons and the problem is evident. Really though, as the Blu-ray.com review for this show points out, the real problem is the brightness setting. It's so much brighter overall than the Japanese release that the banding, which was already prevalent in the Japanese release, becomes so much more obvious in the US release. There's no reason for the brightness, and it is truly a blunder on Funi's part. Also, if anyone is curious, the Blu-ray.com review gave the video a score of 3 out of 5, a little high if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Why is a sub only release so unrealistic when the manga is still on the new york times list for multiple weeks after 42 volumes. what other manga series has pulled that off? and yet it is impossible for a sub only release to actually sell? You might get tired of hearing about it but that does not mean that it is unrealistic also many conan fans were alienated by the case closed dub, and releasing it sub only might be the signal some of them need that it is not being edited anymore. (fans are not always rational after all)

As I said before, I'd love subtitled releases of Case Closed, but this is why I see it as being an unrealistic move by FUNimation:

1) At this point in time, FUNimation only puts out releases that include English dubs. From what was said in the podcast, FUNi's recent survey seems to show that the company's consumers are more likely to watch dubs than subs. By the end of this podcast, nothing really gave me the impression that FUNimation has any plans anytime soon to start putting out sub only releases.

2) As Zac said earlier, FUNimation has already tried with Case Closed several times, and it has not been financially viable for them. At this point, it would seem the company would want to invest the money that could be put toward sub-only releases of Case Closed toward other properties that are doing well for them.

3) The 5% comment made during the podcast in regards to the chance of future releases of Case Closed also leads me to believe that sub-only releases of the series would be unrealistic.

At the end of the day, while I may be a fan of Case Closed, I also have to accept the reality that the series did not perform for FUNimation; and I also have to accept that the company really has no incentive at this point to put any more money toward this property.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jlaking

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Jetstream2 wrote:
Funimation, or maybe Crunchyroll, should just consider streaming the show with subs. It is probably the best option for continuing Case Closed.

It would be for the best if Crunchyroll gets the streaming rights.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Is the Shana ova episode important to the plot. The only thing I've heard about it is that it's a hot spring episode. I was a little annoyed when the To Love-Ru second season DVD by Sentai was missing the ova's which introduce new characters.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
I don't normally follow streams. What's this "Rainbow" people on page one are going on about?

RAINBOW

Fantastic show, but really, really difficult to watch. It even has a disclaimer at the start of each episode.

The boys all get sodomised with a glass tube* on their first day as a 'welcoming present', are regularly beaten for minor infringements or just because the guards felt like hitting them, the (male) doctor spoiler[is a pervert who rapes the more girlish-looking male inmates,] and the list goes on.

Do NOT watch unless you have the stomach for it. That said, the show is actually an amazing emotionally-upliftingstory about the strength of friendship in the darkest of times. But boy is it heavy. I could only ever watch one or two episodes at a time.

Covered in the first half of the first episode so not a spoiler. Also, it is a litmus test to see if you can tolerate the level of violence and depravity. If something like sodomy puts you off then this is not the title for you.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
I always forget about this when time for twitter questions come around, but is Ben-to anywhere on Funi's radar? It kind of seems to me to be in their wheelhouse, what with the fanservice and pretty girls beating the crap out of people (and each other) on some ridiculous premise *coughSekireicough*. Except the characters have personality beyond their initially presented stereotype (well, the major characters, anyway).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
Finally got the time to actually listen to the entire podcast, and I must say that Lance's stuttering made him sound like Jeff Goldblum... Not that that's a bad thing. I like Goldblum, with his habit of stuttering his lines, and Lance pulls that off perfectly in his natural style.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
So Shiki broke even but didn't perform beyond that hopefully this doesn't discourage Funimation from picking up more horror titles in the future we simply don't have enough horror anime released in America with English dubs. Its unfortunate that the second season of When They Cry was never licensed and dubbed but the chances of Funimation picking that up is pretty much nonexistent at this point.I'm surprised that no one asked if the dubs of Future Diary or Guilty Crown are currently in production.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Is the Shana ova episode important to the plot. The only thing I've heard about it is that it's a hot spring episode.

Are filler episodes important to the plot for a long running series? Yet they are still included with releases. The point is that it's a piece of content, already dubbed and released here previously in the two prior DVD sets, that is not being included in the re-releases so far as we know. Season 2 is set to ship in less than 3 weeks, and, as pointed out earlier, it was included in the JP release for season 2. This is why people are very curious about it, since it would have been a part of the Japanese masters along with Season 2. We haven't had any confirmation as to whether or not it will be a part of the set.

When Season 1 was originally solicited, it listed the OVA as included, but when people received their sets they found it was not a part of the release. We're just trying to find out whether or not it will be a part of it, or if it will just be tossed to the wayside, only enjoyable to those who own the two previous DVD sets.

I for one bought the original Geneon singles, and I feel that as a long time fan of the series I'm getting the raw deal here since it was never released with those either. I bought season 1's re-release thinking it would be included with it, but it was not. This is why I want to know if it will be included with season 2.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It pains me every time they say no to a Tatami Galaxy physical release. I sure do love that show and would buy it in an instant, dub or sub, DVD or Blu-ray. Thanks for a very entertaining and informative podcast as always.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8