• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's A Little Bit Funi, This Feeling Inside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
yes but they are also not that big of a problem. and therefore should not be triggering this level of nerd rage.

If you left the word "nerd" out of that you might have a point but...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
I have little doubt they could have done better had they re-organized their resources where it matters most (ie: the discs). Charge me another ten dollars and use a pair of dual-layer discs, please.

Those are not AVC compression artifacts. More disc space would not have helped (and 75 GB is more than enough for that many episodes - average would've been > 25 Mbps and most of that show barely even moves). Something happened in the production pipeline somewhere.
superdry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Kakugo wrote:
I have little doubt they could have done better had they re-organized their resources where it matters most (ie: the discs). Charge me another ten dollars and use a pair of dual-layer discs, please.

Those are not AVC compression artifacts. More disc space would not have helped (and 75 GB is more than enough for that many episodes - average would've been > 25 Mbps and most of that show barely even moves). Something happened in the production pipeline somewhere.

Huh, so more bitrate wouldn't have helped with the banding problem even a little? I guess the problem is bad enough that more bitrate wouldn't have helped.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I'm surprised that no one asked if the dubs of Future Diary or Guilty Crown are currently in production.

Manga have licensed Guilty Crown for the UK which means they are confident it will be getting dubbed, especially since they are (or were) hoping to do it on BD. Kaze have licensed Future Diary and the same probably applies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I'm surprised that no one asked if the dubs of Future Diary or Guilty Crown are currently in production.

Manga have licensed Guilty Crown for the UK which means they are confident it will be getting dubbed, especially since they are (or were) hoping to do it on BD. Kaze have licensed Future Diary and the same probably applies.

From what I've heard, Guilty Crown is too soon to start production on, as the last volume was just recently released in Japan. We can expect it some time late 2013.

The Future Diary's dub is currently in production right now, so we'll probably see it this spring if everything goes well.

Then again, this is all just from what I've read around the forums. Whether it has any merit or not is beyond me.

EDIT: Regarding the whole Lain re-release controversy, let me just say that I find it funny that so many people are ready to throw FUNimation under a bus so quickly regarding this particular issue with the video, and yet when Aniplex of America releases Durarara!! out on bluray WITHOUT a separate subtitles track for on-screen text (despite the fact that the DVD release had one), hardly anyone complains or says anything more than "Aww, that's too bad," despite it costing three times what the Lain set costs.

Geez, bit of a double-standard there, dontcha think? Confused

As for me, I watched some of the Lain bluray earlier, and I think it looks great. Very Happy
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure DRRR received complaints for that in the Retail threads. But, do we have AoA representatives on ANNcast, where they're likely to be reading these comments and possibly respond to them?

superdry wrote:
Huh, so more bitrate wouldn't have helped with the banding problem even a little? I guess the problem is bad enough that more bitrate wouldn't have helped.

The picture image seems brighter, so that may have had some effect on the visuals. The Japanese Lain BD is quite dark, but drastically fudging with gamma and brightness might not always be the best solution to enhance an image. Either way, FUNi doesn't get many older anime on BD, and there should be nothing for them to do with AKIRA's image.
Lupica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
EDIT: Regarding the whole Lain re-release controversy, let me just say that I find it funny that so many people are ready to throw FUNimation under a bus so quickly regarding this particular issue with the video, and yet when Aniplex of America releases Durarara!! out on bluray WITHOUT a separate subtitles track for on-screen text (despite the fact that the DVD release had one), hardly anyone complains or says anything more than "Aww, that's too bad," despite it costing three times what the Lain set costs.

I suspect that's at least in part to it only affecting a portion of buyers. Sub purists simply won't care, and a lot of dub viewers, used to discs with issues, might assume that it was just meant to be that way and that they need the subs on or aren't meant to know what's being said in text as some artistic thing (even though with Durarara!! in particular it's quite a large oversight). The remaining educated folks who have got their discs and watched then dubbed with a frown have been quietly making it known, but the furore hasn't gained nearly as much momentum. The Lain video letdown affects everyone who buys Lain, and since it's a geeky series in the first place and pretty old, most people will have warm memories of it and probably be double dipping.

I know what you're driving at though, and I agree that the video issues with Lain are being brought up with a lot more passion than the banding issues we've had in the past (and even other major video problems like S23's Horizon BD glitch or Funi's abominable My Bride Is A Mermaid credits). Perhaps it having been positioned as a high quality collectors edition is why it's particularly frustrating. I feel bad for Funimation, but if the outpouring of emotion improves video quality going forward then I'm glad all of the technically-minded fans are suddenly piping up and offering advice on how to prevent nasty video for future anime BDs. A lot of the criticism has been extremely constructive in tone.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:04 am Reply with quote
Try out a sub-only release with a magical girl series. From my experience, magical girl fans tend to be sub watchers. We're also pretty desperate for new releases.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:52 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I have all the Geneon singles for Lain. Wasn't going to double dip, but now I think I will after hearing about the art book and packaging. An art book is my very favorite form of extra-premium-swag.

I'm going to send my unopened copy back to TRSI, because of the banding in the video, and other problems reported with the box and one book or the other. Unfortunately, that'll allow TRSI to sell it to someone else, and Funi won't learn anything from this lost sale.

This was my first Funimation purchase since August of last year, and I thought that they were turning a corner and showing that they can make a quality, collectable release. I guess not. Just how did Funi manage to screw up the Japanese BD video? <sigh>

CG-LOVER wrote:
I've never actually seen Serial Experiments lain. I know how big a series it is and I would love to see it...but this Blu-ray problem may prevent me from doing so. Regardless of what Zac says, I've seen the screenshot comparisons and the problem is evident. Really though, as the Blu-ray.com review for this show points out, the real problem is the brightness setting. It's so much brighter overall than the Japanese release that the banding, which was already prevalent in the Japanese release, becomes so much more obvious in the US release.

My interpretation of what's been printed is that the original Japanese masters had banding, but that removing it was part of the clean-up effort / restoration that went into producing the Japanese BD set. Then Funi went and gave us back the banding.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
This was my first Funimation purchase since August of last year, and I thought that they were turning a corner and showing that they can make a quality, collectable release. I guess not.

That's more than a bit hyperbolic. The vast, vast majority of Funi releases are problem-free, and a handful are better than the JP imports. You just don't hear about the problem-free ones.

As for what happened here, I can only guess. This could be as simple as a configuration mistake when the master tapes were captured or cloned in Japan. Black levels are also nowhere near as set in stone as fans seem to think they are -- Japanese NTSC spec puts it at 10 IRE higher than North American equipment, but in HD some masters follow that spec and some don't. Sometimes American gear is used by Japanese companies, adding effects that hit American black levels while the rest of the show has Japanese black levels. I can't tell you how much pain and headache that causes US distros.

Someone does need to go up the production chain and figure out what happened, but I do not think it's the compression itself. Bad or bitrate-starved AVC compression can result in banding, but it doesn't look like that -- the edges aren't so sharp, they look more dithered than what we see here. I couldn't recreate this effect with a copy of Adobe Media Encoder (the crappiest BD-compliant encoder I've used) if I tried, and the gear Funi has is orders of magnitude better than that.

And remember, if the source material is already screwed, any compression you add to it can only make it look the same or worse. So no, more bandwidth wouldn't have helped even slightly.

Lupica wrote:
I feel bad for Funimation, but if the outpouring of emotion improves video quality going forward then I'm glad all of the technically-minded fans are suddenly piping up and offering advice on how to prevent nasty video for future anime BDs. A lot of the criticism has been extremely constructive in tone.

Tone, perhaps, but it's pretty clear to me that very few of them can do anything other than point and shout, "BANDING!! NO BUY!!" The number of fans offering "advice" who clearly have no clue what they're talking about is giving me a headache. I can only imagine what it's doing to Funi's production staff. God help them if someone else on staff prints some of that crap up and makes them address it in a meeting or something.

But that's the anime business for you. Screw up something technical on a high-profile release, and there will be a never-ending parade of nerds immediately rushing to rub your nose in it. Makes working in this industry very unpleasant sometimes.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
God help them if someone else on staff prints some of that crap up and makes them address it in a meeting or something.

Maybe they should, with the lead-off question "Should we have told paying customers about this issue on the box?"

Here's the thing: You're knowledgeable because it's what you do. For average consumer, we're in the dark about these products. FUNimation's been under fire for its upscaled products as well, in rare cases seemingly doing more damage than had they just let bluray players handle the upscale.

I don't believe FUNimation's being malicious with this practices, and is trying to do their best, but when people are paying for a product and discover quality that's not what's expected, of course they're going to be upset.

Heading over to FUNimation's site, there is no disclosure of this information. What's important to realize here is they were very proud to announce the grainy picture while restoring Dragonball Z (now canceled due to cost in restoration).

You once mentioned it's difficult to take the film school out of anime viewing, and as one who works with computer imagery often, the same can be applied to my viewing of anime bluray.

I can see the difference, and for the most part, I just tolerate it. No amount of computer software and hardware is ever going to make a 480 master look pristine in 1080.

While I wouldn't avoid a purchase knowing this, it has been established not all products are the same. Some 480 just looks bad because it is 480, not necessarily the result of upscale loss.

I would be more appreciative if FUNimation were to give us this information as to make it such that fans can be as knowledgeable as yourself.

I can see why it gives you a headache, but you're not the only one with them. This is a two-way street, and information removes ignorance.

One more question: any reason this information isn't stored in the Encyclopedia? I would think it would be very useful to people to look this stuff up, which isn't easy to do other than reading "BANDING! NO BUY!" blogs.

Perhaps two categories: source resolution (if applicable, since film has no resolution) and bluray resolution. A field for audio/visual issues would also be helpful.

These are merely suggestions, not demands.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
This was my first Funimation purchase since August of last year, and I thought that they were turning a corner and showing that they can make a quality, collectable release. I guess not.

That's more than a bit hyperbolic. The vast, vast majority of Funi releases are problem-free, and a handful are better than the JP imports. You just don't hear about the problem-free ones.

I haven't purchased any Funi products for more than a year mostly because their titles haven't really interested me and they're very minimalist/bare-bones with most releases, not necessarily because of a/v quality issues.

Quote:
And remember, if the source material is already screwed, any compression you add to it can only make it look the same or worse. So no, more bandwidth wouldn't have helped even slightly.

This video issue may not be Funimation's fault, but when the Japanese release looks better on my TV, I want Funimation to take a look at themselves to see if they did fail at some point in the production process, so that there's less of a chance that it might recur with a future release, and perhaps it's something that can be fixed with this release in a reprint. If they didn't fail, is there a way for Funimation to involve themselves further up the chain, in order to ensure that it's less likely that the masters that they get will make their product looks worse than it should? Probably not (with either the Japanese allowing it or Funimation wanting the extra expense).

<sigh> I hate that paragraph, but I'm sick of re-writing it.

Quote:
But that's the anime business for you. Screw up something technical on a high-profile release, and there will be a never-ending parade of nerds immediately rushing to rub your nose in it. Makes working in this industry very unpleasant sometimes.

Yeah, if this were one of Funimation's usual, cheap, minimalist releases, I probably would still have been annoyed, but found it to be less important...
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Black levels are also nowhere near as set in stone as fans seem to think they are -- Japanese NTSC spec puts it at 10 IRE higher than North American equipment, but in HD some masters follow that spec and some don't.

Ah, I've been wondering about that. This is actually quite informative regarding HD following or not following the spec.

Quote:

Tone, perhaps, but it's pretty clear to me that very few of them can do anything other than point and shout, "BANDING!! NO BUY!!" The number of fans offering "advice" who clearly have no clue what they're talking about is giving me a headache.

I think the problem wouldn't have been blown up if comparisons to the JP release weren't shown so quickly (those screencaps are going to live in infamy...haha). For the majority of fans, the packaging issues are probably more disconcerting.

Quote:

I can only imagine what it's doing to Funi's production staff.

Unless they were supplied with a screwy master, maybe they can think "how can we mitigate this problem in the future?" when working on something similar again. I agree with you that the majority of Funi's shows on BD that are HD are perfectly fine.
jsevakis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Maybe they should, with the lead-off question "Should we have told paying customers about this issue on the box?"

Here's the thing: You're knowledgeable because it's what you do. For average consumer, we're in the dark about these products. FUNimation's been under fire for its upscaled products as well, in rare cases seemingly doing more damage than had they just let bluray players handle the upscale.

You bring up a great point. The chances Funi didn't catch this internally are slim to none. They have one of the most technically qualified production teams in the business, and easily the best equipment. At some point, someone made the judgement call that this is the best they could do and they had to move on and release it like that. After how much time and effort and expense to find out what happened and try to correct it, we'll never know. Maybe I'll find out over drinks at a con somewhere in a couple of years.

So, you have to release a product with a couple small flaws. Do you tell people and call attention to it? In this case, doing so would fly entirely in the face of common sense, marketing-wise. Most consumers don't seem to notice it. (Zac thought it looked great, and while he's no video expert, he's savvy enough to be able to spot an upscale.) Also, this particular issue can be nearly impossible to spot on some types of TVs -- plasmas and rear projection displays can be very forgiving. So do you pre-emptively call attention to your own product's flaws, which most people will never notice, perhaps dissuading a few customers that would've been satisfied by it?

That's the logic that got Funi in trouble with the upscales, certainly, and with the benefit of hindsight, I think we can all agree not talking about it was a mistake. Dealing with technically savvy anime fans with high standards is not like dealing with the general public. But that's a really tough judgement call every time: how many people will care? How many people will notice? Is calling it out in public and turning off some otherwise-satisfied customers worth not having to deal with a small but vocal videophile backlash? It's really hard to know.

From the outside, I think an ideal solution would be to have something of a video engineer's blog, where they talk about their new notable releases, talking up titles they're proud of while being honest about any possible shortcomings. But that department is already insanely busy (did you see how many discs they're releasing this month?? I can't IMAGINE doing that many at once!!), and given how nervous that would likely make their marketing and PR people, I can imagine that would quickly snowball into a bureaucratic clusterf--- at even a small company, let alone a medium sized one like Funi.

Quote:
While I wouldn't avoid a purchase knowing this, it has been established not all products are the same. Some 480 just looks bad because it is 480, not necessarily the result of upscale loss.

I admire your understanding on that point. Unfortunately much of the rest of the videophile contingent is nowhere near as understanding, particularly when it comes to technical matters they don't want to admit they don't fully understand. It results in this ugly knee-jerk extremism when it comes to such things. And yes, knowledge is the answer to that problem. Trying to help with that, here.

Quote:
One more question: any reason this information isn't stored in the Encyclopedia? I would think it would be very useful to people to look this stuff up, which isn't easy to do other than reading "BANDING! NO BUY!" blogs.

Perhaps two categories: source resolution (if applicable, since film has no resolution) and bluray resolution. A field for audio/visual issues would also be helpful.

Two big problems with that: crowd-sourced knowledge on such technical issues would be really hard to source reliably (remember, the encyclopedia is crowd-sourced), and the issues involved are complicated and interconnected, to the point where writing something like that would quickly turn into basically writing a textbook. I would like to write some video nerd stuff for ANN, but as I've mentioned on ANNCast, it's really hard to tell how many people would read it, and boiling down these topics enough to be understandable by total novices would be really challenging. I need to investigate the demand a lot more before I would attempt something so time consuming.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Also, this particular issue can be nearly impossible to spot on some types of TVs -- plasmas and rear projection displays can be very forgiving.

This is a really good point. I've mentioned elsewhere that video problems I can see easily on my PC LCD monitor is less noticeable on my Panasonic LCD TV. Of course, just because one can't notice the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist and some people are more sensitive to it than others.

One example is Bakemonogatari. The show is banding city, but the problem is barely noticeable while watch on my TV (even looking up close and scanning a paused image).

Quote:

But that department is already insanely busy (did you see how many discs they're releasing this month?? I can't IMAGINE doing that many at once!!)

Makes me wonder if that's part of the problem. I can't imagine the deadlines the department had to meet for the last few months with all the releases Funi has put out or putting out. Goes back to your point of it, was the best they can do - probably due to money and time.

Quote:

I would like to write some video nerd stuff for ANN, but as I've mentioned on ANNCast, it's really hard to tell how many people would read it, and boiling down these topics enough to be understandable by total novices would be really challenging. I need to investigate the demand a lot more before I would attempt something so time consuming.

I personally would love an article like that since anime is a tricky medium to encode. Especially one where you can possibly point out where things can go wrong in the production chain so it doesn't just boil down to "it's the encoders fault!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8