• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars, Crunchyroll Win Digital Media Awards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Are we ever going to see summer wars? If it is such a massive success you would think that it would have been picked up and released months ago.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Congrats, Crunchyroll! I'm anxious to see which Spring shows CR will be streaming.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
yellow ledbetter wrote:
Are we ever going to see summer wars? If it is such a massive success you would think that it would have been picked up and released months ago.

I could imagine Sony Pictures Home Entertainment getting it but that's a long shot. Defiantly not Funimation. They don't seem interested in stuff like Summer Wars.

Anyways congrats to Chrunchyroll for this award.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Congrats, Crunchyroll! I'm anxious to see which Spring shows CR will be streaming.

Crunchyroll is essentially a monopoly in this area so there was no real competition to begin with. I don't call that a worthy win or something that I would boast about.

As for who might get Summer Wars, I wouldn't count Funimation out just yet. However, I do say that it is more of a Sentai or Section 23 type title.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Crunchyroll is essentially a monopoly in this area so there was no real competition to begin with. I don't call that a worthy win or something that I would boast about.

What I think is worthy of recognition is the fact that CR is the first site to provide LEGITIMATELY LICENSED streams of CURRENTLY broadcasting shows in Japan. In the Fall of 2009, they were showing roughly 50% of all broadcast anime in Japan. I'd love to see them be able to get close to 100%. That's a goal worth supporting.

However, I realize there are people out there that simply refuse to give CR any kind of credit whatsoever. The type of people who, if CR walked on water, would say "See, told ya CR couldn't swim."
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
However, I realize there are people out there that simply refuse to give CR any kind of credit whatsoever. The type of people who, if CR walked on water, would say "See, told ya CR couldn't swim."

LOL. If we could have sigs, this quote would be mine.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Blood- wrote:

As for who might get Summer Wars, I wouldn't count Funimation out just yet. However, I do say that it is more of a Sentai or Section 23 type title.

Considering that Bandai Ent. got Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (Girl Who Leapt through Time), I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up with Summer Wars as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

This is true. Though I'm willing to bet that the majority of hard feelings towards Crunchyroll deals with the fact that they used to have a ton of licensed series streaming, long before they ever had legitimate streams, and they were charging money for people to view these illegal streams. So they were profiting basically off fansubs... which isn't cool.

I still am quite bitter towards Crunchyroll for that.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Blood- wrote:

There's also Funimation site, and ANN's streaming. Good for Crunchy Roll, I think their switch to legal-only content has done a good thing for many japanese companies, and I hope fans turn away from sites that don't pay anime companies and move to supporting sites like these.

I'm guessing Manga Entertainment has Summer Wars- don't they have it in the UK already?
ThatOneMan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Blood- wrote:

This is true. Though I'm willing to bet that the majority of hard feelings towards Crunchyroll deals with the fact that they used to have a ton of licensed series streaming, long before they ever had legitimate streams, and they were charging money for people to view these illegal streams. So they were profiting basically off fansubs... which isn't cool.

I still am quite bitter towards Crunchyroll for that.

Not quite true. They used to have licensed shows, yes, but you never had to pay to watch them. They were free to watch but "premium" members got ot watch it in a higher quality than non-paying members. Besides a lot of the shows that were licensed were removed and only non-licensed shows were allowed. But in any case they did profit from illicit streams but that can be forgiven as they were able to bring legal streams.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Yay for crunchyroll as for Summer Wars I hope someone picks it up soon cause I heard it was really good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
There's also Funimation site, and ANN's streaming. Good for Crunchy Roll, I think their switch to legal-only content has done a good thing for many japanese companies, and I hope fans turn away from sites that don't pay anime companies and move to supporting sites like these.

But Funi only streams a few currently airing series. Do they still run One Piece? ANN I don't think streams any current shows, but I may be wrong about that.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Yes, ANN does stream current shows. Forgot about Chu-Bra? You posted there, didn't you? Wink
There's Gintama too. But, I don't watch any videos here. Nothing personal. More like regional.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought the Chu Bra/Gintama streams were just mirrors from Crunchyroll here on ANN? I never bothered to check.

Yes Blood-, FUNi still streams One Piece.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I thought the Chu Bra/Gintama streams were just mirrors from Crunchyroll here on ANN? I never bothered to check.

Yes Blood-, FUNi still streams One Piece.

Hmm. That still counts as being streamed here, doesn't it? Sure, there's a CR panel right in the middle of the page, but my browser says ANN. Not sure about how it works anyway, since all I've seen so far was either CR or blocked content for offshore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2