• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animation differences between broadcast and DVD.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Wow, that is a big (and with all due respect to errinundra) unambiguous change for the better. I don't know what expressions those were supposed to originally be, but they looked like zombie human/animal hybrids on drugs.

I also like how the faces were not the only things that got touched up. I'm not just talking about the background either; the clothing and hair have been re-drawn.

I think the lesson here is that touching up Anime for their DVD releases is more common than I had previously realised.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
There is no doubt that the quality of the artwork is superior in the DVD version. My point is, the animation is much less dramatic. If you get a chance to watch both do so. My pictures show that the change in expression is far greater in the two broadcast pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
As originally broadcast, Claymore was fine (obviously enough to lure me into buying the DVDs. And then the manga volumes. And even double dip and buy the upsc... errr Blu-Ray pack), but unquestionably they improved the show in the DVDs. And also corrected errors. The careful observer will notice the Claymore with two right hands in the broadcast.

Ok, just kidding about the two right hands.

Or am I?

Anyway regarding Noir... I couldn't get past the first DVD. I couldn't stand the show. So perhaps the actual animated sequence might be what makes or breaks the scene, but I'm merely saying as a third party observer that the screenshots don't seem all that different, at least not in terms of the expression on the face.

But for the record, I do prefer the appearance of the character in the broadcast version but only by a small fraction based purely on the merits of the screenshots, and not from having watched the show for consistent animation work.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
DVD looks better, IMO.

I've noticed that some fansub releases screw up the aspect ratio a little bit too. Not sure if that was a problem for the show you were watching at all. Regardless, I like physical copies of my favorite shows. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ManSlayer07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
How can this thread be two pages long without a mention of ADV/Section 23's newest acquisition: Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na -Crescent Love- (Brighter than the Dawning Blue)? Laughing I haven't seen the series (and don't intend to) but it's quite infamous.

Another example I can think of if the first season The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I remember Kyoto Animation made quite a lot (I think hundreds) of minor changes/touch ups; I think K-On! as well.

Here's a good Ask John column on this topic, it also mentions several titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2