• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S.'s Nicktoons TV Adds Dragon Ball Z Kai in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, as much of a DBZ nerd as I am, I'm still afraid horribly of this. I mean, the English dub is unbearable after hearing the Japanese voices, and Nick's probably going to edit the living crap of it, just like CN did in the original runs of DB/Z/GT. I'll watch it, but I'm still pretty skeptical.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Nick showing DBZ? LOLWUT? I wonder if it'll be edited.

As I've said, Kai is already censored.

It is?
Katane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Katane wrote:
I also got a bad feeling about Monica Rial as Bulma.

She can't be any worse than Tiffany Vollmer's Bulma.

Monica Rial is a real talent. She'll probably be fine.

Tiffany to me is, was and always will be Bulma and anyone else pretty much is unacceptable. Maybe she will but I got my doubts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
sypherman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
When I was a kid back in the 80's I loved Voltron, learning that it along with robotech were"frankenshows"cobbled together from different anime hasn't changed that. I am an anime fan who "knows the difference "but and this is just my opinion I really don't care about Go lion outside of the fact that it makes up part of Voltron. To be perfectly honest Go lion and Dairugger 13 are just interesting bits of trivia to me.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty exited about this! If Nick can license One Piece, Sgt. Frog, and other anime, they'd be perfect! I'll definitely be tuning into this! (Though I'd rather have Stephanie and Tiffany back). I'm also looking forward to potential English versions of OP and ENDs!
I SHALL WIN THE INTERNETZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

It is?

what I'M wondering(and what your asking i assume), are nicktoons going to edit the show when it comes on tv? cause that would mean they're editing a show thats ALREADY been edited in the first place.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

It is?

Yep. Even the DVDs and Blu-Rays are censored. Apparently Japan's gotten a little more conservative over time.

Katane wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Katane wrote:

Tiffany to me is, was and always will be Bulma and anyone else pretty much is unacceptable. Maybe she will but I got my doubts.

I always found Vollmer's Bulma too "valley girl". It's painful for me to listen to. She's supposed to be a genius, not a bubble head. I'm glad that they got one of my favorite voice actresses, Monica Rial, to replace her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
What is this!!!? O: I only have Nickelodeon! >.< grrr I can't even watch Shippuden since i only have regular disney >.> I need to get satellite cable. =_=
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Probably the last place I ever thought I'd see anime... lol.

Well it's good news regardless.

It confirms that CN has no interest left in anime at all even further, though... To think that they'd let Nicktoons have a DB property. =/

Sad I won't be able to watch it. I have a feeling that when One Piece comes back on TV it will be on Nicktoons or Disney Anime hyper as well, which means I won't be able to support it. *sighs*
hukjom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not very interested in the show itself, but rather how Nicktoons will handle it. It should be interesting.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm a long-time Voltron fan, but I won't be able to see this new series unless it gets streamed somewhere legally, or it gets released on DVD. I can't afford to upgrade my cable package to go up to the tier that would have Nicktoons (my kids are already upset that we can't afford to upgrade since they found out that Nicktoons is now airing Invader Zim).

EDITED TO ADD: I almost forgot to mention that the Administrator at the Voltron.com forums says that Voltron Panthera Force is not the final title for the series; however, the administrator is currently not saying what the final title for the series will be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Oh boy, yet another excellent anime about to be over edited and sadly ruined because of the high volume of edits.

Seriously, what does Nicktoons know about anime? Newsflash US Nicktoons, Dragon Ball Z Kai isn't G rated and does contain violence.

Well at least the Funimation dvds won't be ruined and over edited. Its a absolute shame such a excellent show has to be shown on Nicktoons instead of Adult Swim or a more respectable station.

uh Have you actually seen Dragonball Kai? Goku dies of a slight bruise. It's not like it was in the early 90's where you could show cartoon tits when ever and where ever you wanted. In the mid 90's anime started to tone down what happened in the manga, where instead of showing someone's arm being cut off the either don't have the arm cut off, or it's down off screen.

Especially on a place like TV Tokyo, those kinds of scenes are simply never shown now a days
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Y'know, as much of a DBZ nerd as I am, I'm still afraid horribly of this. I mean, the English dub is unbearable after hearing the Japanese voices, and Nick's probably going to edit the living crap of it, just like CN did in the original runs of DB/Z/GT. I'll watch it, but I'm still pretty skeptical.

you do relised that during the original DBZ run,it was Saban( with the ocean group voice cast when funimation was under they're order) during the 1996 syndication airings that butchered those first 2 seasons right? CN just aired the episodes as they were edited by saban

when Funimation originally did the remaining seasons (when they broke away from saban & ocean) they pretty much did they're own thing with slight minor edits.

as for the original DB (funimation version), they kept the original music with slightly few blood edits compared to the kidmark/Ocean dub from the 1995 syndication airings while DBGT,i'll adment,toonami should'nt have skipped the first 15 filler episodes than eventually aired them as the LOST Episodes.
Katane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Katane wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Katane wrote:

I always found Vollmer's Bulma too "valley girl". It's painful for me to listen to. She's supposed to be a genius, not a bubble head. I'm glad that they got one of my favorite voice actresses, Monica Rial, to replace her.

If you stop to think about it for a minute it suited her perfectly because Bulma was only smart when she wanted to be. I too happen to be a fan of Rial but I really don't believe that Bulma suits her at all because Bulma has a certain flare about herself and I really can't see Rial bringing that out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Well that's quite nice. Not expected news to say the least (which also speaks volumes about CN's direction on anime), but its nice to see that Kai will be on a Nick station, even if it's not the main Nick (their lineup is too loaded for it). Didn't really think FUNimation would have gone after them, either, but I assume CN didn't want it (I wonder about Disney, though...). Regardless, I like that it is coming out on television, though I hope that it is presented straight and not "punched up" like their first DBZ dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7