• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Yoshitoshi ABe Manga Now Available on Kindle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Woot!
Razzuel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Holy shit. I am buying these right now! I didn't know about the iPhone app or I would of bought that even sooner!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
Can I view these manga on my computer as well?

I don't have an iPhone or Kindle, but I'll gladly pay a dollar to see a new manga by ABe.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Can I view these manga on my computer as well?

I don't have an iPhone or Kindle, but I'll gladly pay a dollar to see a new manga by ABe.

You can view the I am an alien, I have a question manga on your computer. Actually, that's exactly what I did. If you don't have a Kindle, then Amazon offers free computer software to read Kindle books.

I just finished reading I am an alien, I have a question. It reminded me of Niea_7, and it was pretty funny. Also, it's well drawn, and I love ABe's signature style. My only complaint is that it's short; I wish it was longer.

Now I am going to read his manga that's available on the iPhone before I go to bed.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Looks like I'm gonna have to get me some free Kindle software for my mac...

I'm a huge ABe fan! This is fantastic news.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply Razzuel. I just got it, and it's downloading now. Will be great to read another ABe work.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
You can view the I am an alien, I have a question manga on your computer. Actually, that's exactly what I did. If you don't have a Kindle, then Amazon offers free computer software to read Kindle books.

I saw the post on Twitter and thought it was a shame I didn't have a kindle but this is good news - provided you can buy them from in the UK (it isn't on Amazon UK).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow! This is a really interesting development. I don't have a kindle, either, but I really want to check this out, because ABe is awesome.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Interesting! Looks like I'll purchase both of those... I'm not much of a manga reader, but I do love Yoshitoshi ABe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I hope this becomes available in a print version at some point. "I am an alien. I have a question." Best title ever!
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
An English version of something new by Yoshitoshi ABe, my favorite artist in the world? I'm there!
Razzuel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I finished reading Pochiyama at the Pharmacy last night. It's much more substantial than I am an Alien, I have a Question, but I am an Alien, I have a Question has a much, much better English translation. Pochiyama at the Pharmacy has three chapters and I am an Alien, I have a Question only has one chapter, but that is understandable since both are priced accordingly.

I think I enjoyed Pochiyama at the Pharmacy more; it didn't have any apparent similarities to any of ABe's other work that I have seen, and I found it funnier than I am an Alien, I have a Question.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Kindle is available on BlackBerry devices as well you know Cool

In fact, I am downloading the manga on mine right now. I <3 ABe!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zopelthe543

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
I just bought mine today. Good thing you can put it on your computer. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but whoever translated it seem to do a bad job with the text, seems like an amateur did it. Either way for one book, it feels like a good deal so that is only my nit-pick. I also wish you could expand the image more.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:09 am Reply with quote
Nice to see a mangaka make such use out of self-publishing venue like Kindle. As far as the iPod touch Kindle app is concerned, their imaging format is not too bad, though it's slightly below most manga-dedicated apps. Nevertheless, it's a good sight to see and hopefully a sign of more to come from other Japanese artists (not that more from Yoshitoshi ABe would hurt). Now, if Kindle's library only had something other yaoi manga and...yaoi manga available...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1