• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Streamed in UK

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy for all my fellow FMA UK fans, it's not fair that you guys have to wait so long for this.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:08 am Reply with quote
Don't be, the quality is a joke.

Compared to the funimation stream (Which was openly available before they geoblocked the system) it's a badly compressed FLV copy of their stream (Logos and everything! They didn't even add their own!)

Seriously, this wasn't worth 40 weeks of waiting.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
Agreed it's not the best, but I can't beat the price. Wink
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
Better late than never?

Have fun with it, British people. Hope you won't be as disappointed as I was (goes back to reading the manga).
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm glad it finally happened, I guess. Though I'll be importing the dvds soon so it seems kind of pointless...
edzieba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Terrible quality, terribly late? Business as usual I guess.
Conan-san wrote:

Compared to the funimation stream (Which was openly available before they geoblocked the system) it's a badly compressed FLV copy of their stream (Logos and everything! They didn't even add their own!)

To be honest, this looks just as bad as I remember the Funi stream looking before it was region-locked. Did they improve the stream at all after the region-locking? Looking at the hotlink code on the Manga site, it just points to a generic brightcove hosting service. Maybe they're just using the exact same file as the Funi site but with a different region lock? If anyone across the pond is curious enough to check, the videoID for episode 1 is '71232123001'.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

Does anything please you ?

Has it occurred to you to support this, while at the same time informing Manga Entertainment that you'd like higher quality video ?

You gripe constantly that all the streams lock out the UK (something that no one over here can do anything about) and when someone finally does something good, all you can do is complain that it isn't good enough.

You know what's going to happen if people like you don't support Manga in this endeavor right ? They're not going to say "No one watched it, I guess we need to spend more money for better quality." They're going to say "Wow, that was a waste of time and money. No more UK streams."

-t
Sceleris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought Panini's YouTube streams of FMA:B were available to UK residents, seeing as how The Licensing Machine is "a division of Panini UK" and all.

'Cause that's a pretty sweet deal: all episodes available for free in 720p with subtitles in eleven languages. I don't follow the series, but I think they put episodes up before they're out fansubbed. And there's none of that "taken down after one week" nonsense either. Pretty much streaming done right.

So if FMA fans in the UK could watch it but no longer can... too bad. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xagor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Panini's streams for FMA:B were never available for us, which I just found odd.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Sceleris wrote:
I thought Panini's YouTube streams of FMA:B were available to UK residents, seeing as how The Licensing Machine is "a division of Panini UK" and all.

Xagor wrote:
Panini's streams for FMA:B were never available for us, which I just found odd.

I get
Quote:
OPENING KARAOKE (SECOND ONE, FROM EP.15) - FMA Brotherhood
This video contains content from Panini, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

ADV UK licensed titles separately from their parent company (including Geneon titles like Last Exile), the same is presumably true of thie "Licensing Machine" and Panini.
It looks like Gong is also streaming Brotherhood on Youtube in some countries, no idea which ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Sceleris wrote:

Content streamed from Funi's own website used to be available to us, before the One Piece leak occurred. Despite their claims that the resulting block was only to be temporary, their Youtube channel is currently the only place for us to obtain streaming content from them directly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Sceleris wrote:

Content streamed from Funi's own website used to be available to us, before the One Piece leak occurred. Despite their claims that the resulting block was only to be temporary, their Youtube channel is currently the only place for us to obtain streaming content from them directly.

At least YouTube is more reliable than their own site ever was, but having to click the video and get the you are geoblocked message to find out what is and isn't is a little annoying.
Not as bad as their website though, there was at least 1 title they were streaming us that you can't view the site for.

PS: Bund and Baka to Test are currently available to us.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've watched the first two episodes. While blocky it is definitely watchable, however it puts a lot more strain on my single core CULV than Crunchy Roll does, even at 720p - although that's only possible with the flash 10.1 beta so I assume Manga's player isn't taking advantage of any GPU acceleration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Man, that sucks the UK got video quality that was so pixelated, whoever decided to trade file size on the server for video quality should be fired. Legal streams should not look crappy. That's what makes fans go get fansubs, because legal streams do that, fortunately, Funi is actually considerate of fans and makes theirs look nice.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, can you call this acceptable?

Manga have had weeks to sort this nonsense out. This is not even standard quality. Standard quality means I can read the damned subtitles.

I think that the UK companies should buck their ideas up Because they are fighting two fronts; Fansubs and Imports (three if you count counterfeit DVDs, of which I could point out plenty of places one could find them within Glasgow, of all places) And when I can buy Nadesico for £21 import in a format that is far superior to buying it for £70 from ADV uk (when that was still possible) then they are failing.

I, honestly, wasn't expecting HD Quality streaming, I was expecting SD Quality and somehow, some way, Manga have fantasticly failed on that front.

And if anyone wants to support this lacklustr quality product then be my guest. But don't complain to me when I point out the flaws.

tempest wrote:
You know what's going to happen if people like you don't support Manga in this endeavour right ? They're not going to say "No one watched it, I guess we need to spend more money for better quality." They're going to say "Wow, that was a waste of time and money. No more UK streams."-t
Why do you think I'm complaining like this? Do you think I do this for the jollies?!

I've noted to Manga my disapproval of these streams in as many ways as I can possibly do. I Noted my disapproval at them and at this point the ball is in their court. If they want to go with the "No one wants UK Streaming" option at that point then they have failed as a business and woe betide any Brit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2