• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Borders Store Chain Lays Off More Employees

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
Nooooooo Crying or Very sad
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Live, Borders! Live!!!
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
I work at borders. Have for a year now. I wasn't laid off that day but one of my coworkers and friend was.
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Meh, first laying off people from Media Blasters now this. how bad is the news gonna get more worst?
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
Don't die on us Borders Sad
ZenErik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quote
I work for Barnes & Noble, but this is a bad thing... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mabber36

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote
I just spent over 60 bucks the other day at borders, so they better not go out of business
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
This is such a shame! Every time I go into a borders to buy manga, there are a bunch of teens blocking the book cases, laying under tables ect, just reading the manga. They need to hire security or something, I bet there would not be nearly as many lay offs if they did! Sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
This is such a shame! Every time I go into a borders to buy manga, there are a bunch of teens blocking the book cases, laying under tables ect, just reading the manga. They need to hire security or something, I bet there would not be nearly as many lay offs if they did! Sad

Then people just wouldn't come to the store at all.
ZeroGee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
As I mentioned on another thread, the Borders in my area has stopped selling manga and graphic novels as well as comic books.
It doesnt look good.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Then people just wouldn't come to the store at all.

Considering that the manga cows don't actually buy anything, and just wind up ticking me off, that wouldn't bother me one bit. Kick the manga cows out, you're not getting less business, just less bodies in the store.

This is a shame to see Borders in the trouble it is. I buy most of my manga there, even though I could get it cheaper online. I like being able to walk out with a big stack of manga, and besides, it's not like I only buy manga there.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
O great now its going to be more harder to find some one to not help you find what they keep in the back
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Borders apparently has a huge problem with manga theft. One of the employees I talked to there last month said that most of the money lost through book theft is from kids stealing manga. This has led to Borders doing some annoying things with their security tags.

I don't know if all Borders stores are doing this, but at the one closest to me, security sticker tags are now placed directly on artwork inside a manga. What's worse, the glue on the stickers is so bad that trying to remove the tag will rip the page. The stickers used to be easy to peel off, but thieves would just remove them. And when the glue was made tougher and the stickers placed on non-essential pages, thieves would just rip those non-essential pages out. So now the tags are placed directly on artwork.

I can understand the need to do this, but unfortunately it also puts me in the position of not buying manga from Borders anymore.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Borders apparently has a huge problem with manga theft. One of the employees I talked to there last month said that most of the money lost through book theft is from kids stealing manga. This has led to Borders doing some annoying things with their security tags.

I don't know if all Borders stores are doing this, but at the one closest to me, security sticker tags are now placed directly on artwork inside a manga. What's worse, the glue on the stickers is so bad that trying to remove the tag will rip the page. The stickers used to be easy to peel off, but thieves would just remove them. And when the glue was made tougher and the stickers placed on non-essential pages, thieves would just rip those non-essential pages out. So now the tags are placed directly on artwork.

I can understand the need to do this, but unfortunately it also puts me in the position of not buying manga from Borders anymore.

Wow didn't know they did that. Any chance of me ever buying another manga from them as just gone away.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:

Yeah, someone to tell 'em "hey, kid, this ain't no liberry!!!"

The Borders down the street from where I live closed a couple of months ago. I noticed that their prices are almost always MSRP and rarely any kind of discount, especially on their DVDs and CDs. It wouldn't hurt to be competitive, especially when someone can purchase the exact same thing at some big box like Best Buy or FYE for significantly less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3