• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach GN 30

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
FlyingFox wrote:
I don't get what Tite Kubo's problem is. He is literally doing the same thing over again.

Lets Save Orihime! = Lets save Rukia!
Hueco Mundo = Soul Society
Arrancars = Soul Reaper Captains
Grimjow = Kenpachi

I stopped buying Bleach four volumes ago because of this.

I thought Grimjow was Renji, (plus Ulquiorra was Byakuya, the guy Kenpachi fought was Kenpachi, and the guy Mayuri fought was Mayuri).
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:
Wha...? "The spirit of Bleach"? Just what is the spirit of something other than its story, which has turned into a malaise of battles that are generally proven pointless only a few chapters later, and its characters, which are underused and often ignored?

When I say "spirit" I mean essence. Y'know, the reason why fans liked it in the first place!
I didn't like the humor as much as you claim there is... (the only funny I liked was Kon.), what I loved was the characters.

Right, and the essence that fans loved were the characters and story, and the story is rapidly going nowhere and the characters get sidelined like nuts. I'm not sure what "essence" of the original you feel is left at this point.

Quote:
The unique aspect is how these characters behave with the roles their given. Soul Reapers turned allies, instead of being completely destroyed. Certain Arrancars being piqued by the uniqueness of humans. The motives behind Aizen. The reasons why Visored aren't plentiful when they could.
Yes we've seen this sort of thing happen in one shonen or other, but how they're used just silently awes me.

Again, color me boggled. I can't believe you have such low standards for "awe." All of these elements are derivative and are not being used particularly creatively - except when they're having fun with it and not taking itself seriously. Bleach hasn't been funny in ages, and that's what had it on life support before a years' worth of manga was rendered moot by later plot twists.

Quote:
To tell you the truth, I haven't watched any episodes after 63 since that episode aired here.

1) We're talking about the manga here, not the anime.
2) If you've only seen that far, why do you know about the Vaizard and the Arrancar?

Quote:
Bleach may be my #1 anime, but it hasn't stopped me from trying new things. I'd be pretty closed-minded! My Top 10 should convince some that I have taste. Or at the very least, a large array of what I like to watch.

....I'd like to see your Top 10 if Bleach of all things manages to be in the #1 spot. It's far from the worst thing I've read, but it's only mediocre at this point.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

....I'd like to see your Top 10 if Bleach of all things manages to be in the #1 spot. It's far from the worst thing I've read, but it's only mediocre at this point.

I think your being a little too soft on it, Bleach hit its peak a long time ago. it went from mediocre, to pretty good and then very rapidly went right into the "sucks" pile.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Bleach isn't that bad. I have read manga that is much worse. *shudders* anyway, if someone likes Bleach or X manga or Y manga, they can like it. At least Tite Kubo didn't use a mythical creature and completely destroy them to make his series so hatable. Cool
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Right, and the essence that fans loved were the characters and story, and the story is rapidly going nowhere and the characters get sidelined like nuts. I'm not sure what "essence" of the original you feel is left at this point.

Perhaps.

Quote:
Again, color me boggled. I can't believe you have such low standards for "awe." All of these elements are derivative and are not being used particularly creatively - except when they're having fun with it and not taking itself seriously. Bleach hasn't been funny in ages, and that's what had it on life support before a years' worth of manga was rendered moot by later plot twists

Heh heh, I should mention that Bleach was among the first I've ever seen.

Quote:
1) We're talking about the manga here, not the anime.
2) If you've only seen that far, why do you know about the Vaizard and the Arrancar?

1)I'm talking about it in general. I don't read much manga (but I did start Berserk recently).
2)Word of mouth. Friends explain it in detail, and specify which sections are worth reading/watching.

I haven't resumed Bleach because where I left it felt right. According my sources, now's not the time resume. And I don't want to continue knowing that my overall opinion could be compromised.

Quote:

Laughing I know right!? I get that a lot. The reason Bleach is #1 is because it practically introduced me to anime/manga. And remember I'm talking about anime. Not manga. I haven't read enough to make a Top 10. But I made a Top 10 anime list, so be my guest.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
After the incredible Grimmjow fight the series has become one stale bs fest. The Ulquiorra fight was a complete dud that had no justification for its existence and pretty much every Espada with the exception of Grimmjow is boring.

What do you mean it had no justification?!
1.Ulqiorra shows up with yammy to kill Ichigo but decides he is insignificant.
2.Ulquiorra takes Orihime to hostage to HM
3.Ulquiorra finds Ichigo in HM and nearly kills him
4.When Ichigo finally reaches Orihime Ulquiorra is about to rip her open
5.and lastly Ulquiorra was the only thing standing between Ichigo and Aizen who was in the world of the living.

JUSTIFICATION
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
How far behind exactly is the Viz Manga of Bleach compared to Viz's dub of the anime right now?
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
How far behind exactly is the Viz Manga of Bleach compared to Viz's dub of the anime right now?

Monthly shonen jump is about 2 volumes behind where the anime is on adult swim, but the anime has stopped for a while. Very Happy
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

Monthly shonen jump is about 2 volumes behind where the anime is on adult swim, but the anime has stopped for a while. Very Happy

I was asking about the gap between volume 30 and episode 167, lol.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
bleachigo66 wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

21 chapters Very Happy
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Well at least there's no Bounts, right? LOL

I have to admit, it gets a little old (and I'm using sarcasm here) watching them fight mid-level villains and watching the same thing over and over again; Ichigo fights but gets defeated, then trains, and then he defeats the big boss at the end, saving his ever-changing story arc girlfriend (last time it was Rukia, now it's Orihime). It also gets really old watching a million swordfights, but hey this is Bleach; if you don't like swordfights then don't read it!

But I think people who are following the manga through the tankouban and not online (like at One Manga or Manga Fox or wherever you read it online) are in for some awesome stuff in the future chapters. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
FlyingFox wrote:
I don't get what Tite Kubo's problem is. He is literally doing the same thing over again.

Lets Save Orihime! = Lets save Rukia!
Hueco Mundo = Soul Society
Arrancars = Soul Reaper Captains
Grimjow = Kenpachi

I stopped buying Bleach four volumes ago because of this.

I did not even start to read the manga exactly because the author has absolute zero of scenario ideas.

"Bleach" is apotheosis of derivativeness from very beginning, from top to bottom -- except for graphical character design, which is one of the best among all mangas ever drawn.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Well, I liked this volume. I guess I don't mind long fights. The part with Ruika was sweet, though.

i liked it too. though it was kinda predictable. they should have kept the espada alive for a while cause orihime's powers might have been able to reverse what events had changed since her powers rejects them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
bleachigo66 wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
bleachigo66 wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

21 chapters Very Happy

Alright, thanks Razz.

So the Bleach Volumes and the SJ Magazine are at the same pace?

How odd, lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2