• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yozakura Quartet DVD Complete Collection

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Several months (maybe a year ago?) Right Turn Only's Carlos Santos reviewed the first volume of this series. I may not remember the entire review, but I do remember one sentence that stuck out the most. In the first volume, the main character barely avoids being another harem magnet.

Although I am not basing on that fact alone, I actually read a couple pages of the first volume of the manga. I found the series to be rather bland and really didn't develop the characters enough. I realize that takes time, but usually there is some sort of background information and development within a couple of chapters.

Since Sentai licensed this series, obviously there isn't an English audio and of course, limited extra's. Granted, this series doesn't nearly have a massive amount of spelling errors like some of the other dvd's they have licensed, this still doesn't change the fact there isn't an English audio.

Great review though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
The most significant thing about this show is that bgm that sounds like Dazed and Confused, and is in pretty much every episode.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Several months (maybe a year ago?) Right Turn Only's Carlos Santos reviewed the first volume of this series. I may not remember the entire review, but I do remember one sentence that stuck out the most. In the first volume, the main character barely avoids being another harem magnet.

Akina does have a lot of girls around him, but his regular associates are not exclusively girls and only two even show faint romantic potential towards him. Thus there just isn't enough romantic content here to give off an overt harem vibe - although admittedly the potential is there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
By coincidence, I'm working my way through the series too. I'm quite enjoying it for a variety of reasons. The character designs may be nothing to shout about, but they are pleasing and the various girls in the show are quite cute. The restraint in fan service is refreshing as well.

Aspects of the story drew me in as I wonder how it will play out. (2 or 3 episodes to go) What struck my interest is the two friends of Gin / Enjin, spoiler[they know they have to stop him, but their love of their friend caused them to hesitate, which has now put the town in even greater danger. What the elders of the town decide in response to their inaction seems to put a sense a resolve in them they made not have possessed before.] I look forward to seeing how this will play out.

The music, as mentioned in the review, is at least an attempt to do something that feels a little different too. This may not be the greatest show, but it is certainly entertaining, and I am grateful Section23 brought it over.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
The review basically matched my exact feelings about the show. Before its premiere, I was really anticipating it since the plot had a lot of promise, Kou Matsuo (Red Garden) was directing it, and the character designs looked really nice. However, it was a different story when it aired. There is a certain layer of blandness and underdevelopment to Yozakura Quartet, from the "meh" animation quality to the score that tries honestly to be hip and cool, but feels like its running on fumes. There was almost a lack of vision to the anime and I can see what Martin is talking about concerning its ambition. It was very surprising to see the large gap between its potential and outcome, and in the end, it remains a show that carries the ambience of being unripened, which is a real shame. It's decent in general, but also mediocre in areas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I recently finished the second volume of the manga. I think I'll finish reading it first before watching this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1