• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Dirty Pair TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
'The Streamline dubs of 1990 were unbeilevebly supbar and dull. Why anyone would want to hear them again, is beyond me ." .
Kyogissun wrote:
...Meh. Pointless license. I'm sure maybe it'll get some sales but...

Oh well. Probably didn't cost them much. Whatever...

I mean, like others said, it's nice to see old stuff get licensed but I gotta be honest, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in this series.

Oh that and I also watched it a couple years ago when it was on Showtime. The TV series and Dirty Pair Flash.

It's only pointless to you-not to people (like myself) who happen to enjoy the Dirty Pair. And as to the originial Streamline dubs being dull and subpar-I prefer them to the crappy redub ADV did when they re-released the 3 movies.

No offense...but Streamline dubs (and early ADV dubs) are the reason there is so much hate for english dubs among anime fans...I have yet to hear a dub from Streamline that sounds good at all, and I prefer to watch a dub when I get a DVD. Now in all fairness, the audio tracks for most 80s American cartoons were also EXTREMELY bad so...
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
zrdb wrote:
'The Streamline dubs of 1990 were unbeilevebly supbar and dull. Why anyone would want to hear them again, is beyond me ." .
Kyogissun wrote:

I mean, like others said, it's nice to see old stuff get licensed but I gotta be honest, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in this series.

Oh that and I also watched it a couple years ago when it was on Showtime. The TV series and Dirty Pair Flash.

It's only pointless to you-not to people (like myself) who happen to enjoy the Dirty Pair. And as to the originial Streamline dubs being dull and subpar-I prefer them to the crappy redub ADV did when they re-released the 3 movies.

No offense...but Streamline dubs (and early ADV dubs) are the reason there is so much hate for english dubs among anime fans...I have yet to hear a dub from Streamline that sounds good at all, and I prefer to watch a dub when I get a DVD. Now in all fairness, the audio tracks for most 80s American cartoons were also EXTREMELY bad so...

Well-no offense-I'm kind of a dub aficionado-and I like a lot of the Streamline dubs-one has to realize that dub preferences are a subjective thing-it varies from person to person. If you want my idea of a truly bad dub-listen to the one for Kama Sutra-it made my ears bleed! The new dubs ADV made for the 3 DP movies were inferior to the Streamline versions. On the other hand the va's they used for DP Flash-especially Sue Ulu for Kei were quite good.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
zrdb wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Well-no offense-I'm kind of a dub aficionado-and I like a lot of the Streamline dubs-one has to realize that dub preferences are a subjective thing-it varies from person to person. If you want my idea of a truly bad dub-listen to the one for Kama Sutra-it made my ears bleed! The new dubs ADV made for the 3 DP movies were inferior to the Streamline versions. On the other hand the va's they used for DP Flash-especially Sue Ulu for Kei were quite good.

Streamline dubs were EXTREMELY cartoony and didn't even try to be "real." I suppose if you really liked 80s cartoons they might appeal, but anyone looking for actual emtion and feeling behind voice actors would not enjoy Streamline dubs. I will go ahead and say that the Akira Streamline dub has to be the worst bit of voice acting I've ever heard...
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:
zrdb wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
zrdb wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Streamline dubs were EXTREMELY cartoony and didn't even try to be "real." I suppose if you really liked 80s cartoons they might appeal, but anyone looking for actual emtion and feeling behind voice actors would not enjoy Streamline dubs. I will go ahead and say that the Akira Streamline dub has to be the worst bit of voice acting I've ever heard...

Well-you know anime dubbing isn't theater acting-but I do strongly disagree with your opinion of Streamline dubs-but I do think there's one thing we both can agree on-dubs are better than sub only-I really don't want to "read" anime.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Well-you know anime dubbing isn't theater acting-but I do strongly disagree with your opinion of Streamline dubs-but I do think there's one thing we both can agree on-dubs are better than sub only-I really don't want to "read" anime.

Meh, while I prefer dubs, I prefer subbed only to a bad dub...I guess we can agree to disagree Laughing
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad wrote:

Cartoony? The Streamline dubs were some of the few dubs in the US back in the early 90s that had swearing in them. Golgo 13's dub is, in my opinion, still one of the best dubs done, due to the fact that the dialogue is realistic. The only dub with more realistic acting is Kite. And that is NOT a bias due to working with Coastal Studios like I have...it's a FANTASTIC dub.

And how can you NOT like Akira's dub, with Leonardo as Kenada? "What....that PEE brain?" That's classic cheese, my friend, like Evil Dead cheese. Besides, I remember seeing Akira in a little arthouse during a "trial" theatrical run and it was the best "dub" work at the time, and still holds up. The only thing that the "new" dub has is that it has more swearing. "They don't teach tact at the academy" is a line I use daily in normal conversation because I'm just like that. Those "80s dubs" are the reason why we even get dubs with better acting and/or anime in the US at all. Animiego is a niche company with niche releases for the most part (especially in the early 90s, back when I was renting VHS tapes of theirs at a local comic shop), so IMO Streamline is WHY we are even on this forum. I honestly would love to shake Carl Macek's hand one day.

The ADV dubs for the DP movies are HORRID. I own both the ADV dvds and the Streamline vhs tapes for the movies, and I'll take the Streamline any day of the freakin' week.

Oh, and every company has "crap dubs". Anime Works/Media Blasters have put out some of the WORST dubs I've ever heard, and I've been in his hobby since about '86 or so. Jubei-chan and Kenshin are waaaaay worse then anything Streamline put out, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:
Cartoony? The Streamline dubs were some of the few dubs in the US back in the early 90s that had swearing in them. Golgo 13's dub is, in my opinion, still one of the best dubs done, due to the fact that the dialogue is realistic. The only dub with more realistic acting is Kite. And that is NOT a bias due to working with Coastal Studios like I have...it's a FANTASTIC dub.

It's not about the cursing, it's about the "voices" they did. Goofy could curse a ton, still would sound "cartoony."

drgonzo369 wrote:
And how can you NOT like Akira's dub, with Leonardo as Kenada? "What....that PEE brain?" That's classic cheese, my friend, like Evil Dead cheese.

"Classic cheese" is basically fancy for "nostalgic" which does not hold up to an audience that does not have a "history" with the particular work.

drgonzo369 wrote:
Besides, I remember seeing Akira in a little arthouse during a "trial" theatrical run and it was the best "dub" work at the time, and still holds up. The only thing that the "new" dub has is that it has more swearing. "They don't teach tact at the academy" is a line I use daily in normal conversation because I'm just like that.

Annnnd, that proves my point, you have nostalgic memories of it...heck, I have stuff I'm nostalgic about too, but I never rave about them being good...

drgonzo369 wrote:
Those "80s dubs" are the reason why we even get dubs with better acting and/or anime in the US at all. Animiego is a niche company with niche releases for the most part (especially in the early 90s, back when I was renting VHS tapes of theirs at a local comic shop), so IMO Streamline is WHY we are even on this forum. I honestly would love to shake Carl Macek's hand one day.

I will agree those dubs are why we have better dubs, as constant improvement was sought after. If dubs today were that bad, the industry would not have grown. Streamline was there when it was needed, but they do NOT hold up to today standards. The streamline dubs hold up to today's dubs about as well as the process used to animate scooby doo hold up to the current animation process and quality.

As for them contributing to the building on anime fandom, again I will agree, but at the same time, that doesn't make them "golden." I watched animation as a kid because I liked G.I. Joe, but does that make that show GOOD? By all means NO, but it did contribute to me watching cartoons...

drgonzo369 wrote:
The ADV dubs for the DP movies are HORRID. I own both the ADV dvds and the Streamline vhs tapes for the movies, and I'll take the Streamline any day of the freakin' week.

Oh, and every company has "crap dubs". Anime Works/Media Blasters have put out some of the WORST dubs I've ever heard, and I've been in his hobby since about '86 or so. Jubei-chan and Kenshin are waaaaay worse then anything Streamline put out, in my opinion.

Okay, I've left out a FEW companies about bad dubs, but MOST of the hate comes from Streamline and other dubs that were done with the opinion that you need to talk in a goofy voice to voice over a character.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Have you heard Streamline's dubs of the Lupin III movies? They're gold! And considering that Streamline likes to use cartoony acting, it fitted Lupin's theme perfectly. So, not all Streamline dubs were bad. Wink
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Have you heard Streamline's dubs of the Lupin III movies? They're gold! And considering that Streamline likes to use cartoony acting, it fitted Lupin's theme perfectly. So, not all Streamline dubs were bad. Wink

I have the r2j of Caglistro and the Streamline dub is 10000Xs better imo then the Manga dub, even if they can't call him "Lupin" (they call him "Wolf" instead).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:

Oh, and every company has "crap dubs".

Bolded for truth! Some of the dubs I have hated the most have come from Bang Zoom and Funimation, so everybody has had a real stinker. I'm willing to give ADV and CPM some slack for the time period in which some of their shows were being dubbed, but yeah, they had some bad ones back in the day.

However, tastes in dubs in highly subjective. I think Ouran is one of the worst dubs ever, period. It made the show almost unwatchable for me, and forced me to switch over to the subs. But there are some people who loved it. C'est la vie...
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
l33tmeatwad-if you don't like Streamline dubs-fine. It's quite apparent judging by the replies that you're in the small minority who don't-I do like most of them as almost everyone else does-as mentioned it's mostly a matter of personnel preferences.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
drgonzo369 wrote:
I have the r2j of Caglistro and the Streamline dub is 10000Xs better imo then the Manga dub, even if they can't call him "Lupin" (they call him "Wolf" instead).

They had to call him Wolf due to the litigation surrounding Monkey Punch and the LeBlanc estate at the time. Streamline didn't want to take chances although for the record Lupin was referred to as "Lupin" in one scene with Cagliostro's servant reading his calling card.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
The Streamline dubs for Project Eden and Cagliostro were, if you can believe it, some of the freakishly best dubs Streamline ever produced.
We don't know what strange planetary alignment caused it either--and there are those who will argue that Streamline's Insp. Zenigata was better than Manga's--but they're right up there with the JAL Ghibli dubs.
(While ADV's Pair wasn't bad, but think a different ADV actress today could've taken Kei up one more notch. Very Happy )

And getting, ahem, BACK to the subject--
It's too bad the state of the industry has to force Right Stuf into sub-only as the only way to afford the new bulk-boxset standards--I was just going through the old RS's Irresponsible Captain Tylor, and it wasn't that bad back in the dubs-are-good days.
But now, with certain, er, other long-awaited dubs (at Funimation) pointing out a growing real cancer in the cable-dominated state of the dub industry in the late 00's, maybe getting back to a "core" of sub-only Vintage Holy Grails might be a bit of medicine.
All we know is that ADV's long ten-year struggle is at least partly avenged. Smile
drgonzo369

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
drgonzo369 wrote:

They had to call him Wolf due to the litigation surrounding Monkey Punch and the LeBlanc estate at the time. Streamline didn't want to take chances although for the record Lupin was referred to as "Lupin" in one scene with Cagliostro's servant reading his calling card.

yea, it's the same thing with Animeigo's Rupan thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10