• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Dirty Pair TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychopuppet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Great news!
Pre-ordered both sets as soon as I saw the links on the site. For me this is even better then the Sentai Filmworks dubbing news. Yes Old School Anime getting licensed in my book tops dubbing any day.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
ScrappedAeon wrote:
I'd care a little more about this if it was getting a dub.

*checks watch*
Right on time.

I would almost care about a dub if they made it sound like it was recorded in the 80s. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Not what I was expecting, but welcome news, nonetheless. It's always good to see a classic show get re-released against the constant flow of newer works coming in. Hopefully those who are more accustomed to watching the new stuff will be open enough to give Dirty Pair, the recently picked-up Record of Lodoss War series, and other old stuff a chance. I'm certain RS/Nozomi will be doing its part in propping DP up out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
^It's not a re-release. The tv show has never been released in North America before. God, I'm so happy about this. Anime hyperD
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Alright! Old school anime! *cheers

I'll be looking for this one in the Weekly Specials listing. I miss the classics, and I'm glad some of them are making a comeback. About time.

Right Stuf is already excepting preorders, and their current studio sales includes these two. I doubt any weekly special will beat the $27-$30 you can get them for now (depending on GA discount.)

Anyway, it's always good to see more anime licensed. I enjoyed Flash when I saw it several years ago on Showtime, so I will definitely be checking this out. In fact, I might preorder them tomorrow.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I did a double take when I saw this news. First Fist of the North Star and now Dirty Pair, too? And how nice of Nozomi to put it up during their studio sale. Already have the sets ordered and I tossed in FotN for good measure. This along with what's been happening on the manga scene has made me really happy to be a fan of Japanese media.
keikanki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I imagine RStuf has moved a whack of Dirty Pair over the years, and know what the market for it is.

If you think about it, that's a huge advantage Rightstuf/Nozomi holds over just about every other licensor in the country. (Except the now defunct AN Entertainment?*)

For newer shows like FMA:B, Toradora, Baka and Test, Vampire Bund... It's gotta be "relatively" easy to guage people's interest based on Twitter/forum buzz, fansub availability and so forth. For something older like this show, a retailer with a specialty retailer with big market share is pretty much the only entity capable of scratching fragile treasures out of ancient dirt. Dirty Pair TV has only been partially fansubbed. The more time that passes, there's less and less reason for anybody to ever give it a shot.

*Whatever happened to them anyway? Rightstuf has just blasted off the past few years. They're not all that different, what accounts for one blowing up while the other tumbles down?
darksharingan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Is it getting a dub?

Last edited by darksharingan on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow...this is awesome news! Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia was one of the very first anime I ever saw, so I've always had a soft-spot for the franchise.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I never knew all we had over here was OVAs or something though. So it's best to watch this show first actually?

Like Paploo said, it's all pretty self-contained, so you can really start with any branch of the franchise you can get your hands on. I started with the movies, and I never felt like I was missing anything. Once you know the basic gyst of who the characters are, you can follow it just fine.

ScrappedAeon wrote:
I'd care a little more about this if it was getting a dub.

Spoken like someone who has never heard ADV's dub! Laughing If they could get the original Streamline cast back together, then maybe we'll talk...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Sold. Pre-orders in. With Nozomi I don't have to worry about the quality of a release.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Right Stuf is already accepting preorders...

Did not know this, and thanks for the info! I will surely rush off to place another order by the end of the night tonight.

After all, Strike Witches and Negima!? are both about to be released. Woots!
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Paploo, jgreen. I'll definitely look more into this now than before then.

jgreen wrote:
Like Paploo said, it's all pretty self-contained, so you can really start with any branch of the franchise you can get your hands on. I started with the movies, and I never felt like I was missing anything. Once you know the basic gyst of who the characters are, you can follow it just fine.

So kind of like the Lupin franchise eh? That works for me for sure then. I'm big on long-running continuing stories, but stuff that you can just drop in on is endless amounts of fun too.

This is why I think RS is my second favorite licensor. FUNi's my favorite, for their dubs and they get a lot of the big hitters, but RS gets some niche, littler stuff (Boys Be, Comic Party, His & Her Circumstances) that I can really get into too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Basroil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Holy frackin' crap! This has been my #1 license wish for years. Thanks Right Stuf. I'll be preordering it shortly.
mewtwo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I loves me some old-school anime. Too bad my wallet's dry...
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Dirty Pair TV has only been partially fansubbed. The more time that passes, there's less and less reason for anybody to ever give it a shot.

The entire series was fansubbed just recently by a one-time group formed for that specific purpose. They had decided that it was never going to get licensed after all these years.

Quote:
Whatever happened to them anyway?

As far as I can tell it was poor choices for the stuff they licensed. They tried to get Princess Tutu (ADV already had it and proceeded to lose their shirt on it). Risky Safety tanked. I don't recall any of their titles doing well.

darksharing wrote:
Is it getting a dub?

I'm afraid not. It's already listed as Japanese audio and English subtitles.

Last edited by Dr Grant Swinger on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10