• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Dirty Pair TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I never would've heard of Dirty Pair if not for its prominence in Undocumented Features. (Funny that I'm posting this so soon after LordRobin.)

For those of you who don't know and want the short version without having to get sucked into That Site, UF is this huge fanfic series that's been running since 1991 and crosses over so many franchises even the creators have lost track. The first story centered around the hijinks that ensue when the main author's self-insert discovers a computer program at his college that can bring anime characters to life, starting with Kei and Yuri.

I was never able to get into it, but some of the more recent stuff is reportedly fantastic.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I would complain about it not getting dubbed, but I would honestly take this show anyway it's released. It was my number one license wish after all, and I honestly thought it would never get a proper release over here. If there's one thing I will bother watching subbed, its Dirty Pair.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Someone call Gerald Rathkolb!

I will probaby pick this up. I haven't bought new releases in a while and this is sort of interesting to me.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Not getting a dub? Then what the hell was the point of licensing the series if it's gonna get the subs only? Then I'm not gonna buy it since I already downloaded it.

That's a completely ridiculous way to look at things, and I have a huge bias towards English dubs. This is an almost 3 decade old series. No one else was going to bring it over, and a release with no English dub is better than none at all. Would you really wish for this show to not be released on DVD here at all, thus not allowing anyone else to enjoy it because you couldn't get your way?
trandraskell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
Not simple? Insult goes here! It's a simple fact that some people prefer dubs and wanna watch dubs.

And besides, Ranma 1/2 and Dragonball started in the 80s but didn't get licensed until 2001 but they still got dubs, so even if an anime is old, doesn't mean it cannot have a strong fanbase and this one does.

Yeah, maybe dubbing it would raise the price of the DVDs but there's one simple way to get around that...GET A JOB AND STOP BEING CHEAP!! They're not very expensive, unless you have a crappy job meaning you lack knowledge to do anything worthwhile.

Okay you about you stop being a wise ass and start to learn to understand that we are getting legal means of watching shows. I grew up watching anime when you could not get a dub.
Any one remember the Project A-ko dub? Also we are in a time where people are losing jobs left and right and also have to take low paying job to make end meet. I agree with the other people how old are you? You seem to not really understand how things work. A lot of time you won't always get what you want.
So if you are not going to by then don't but don't bitch because it not getting a dub, because most of us don't care and we want the series any way we can get it.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
GET A JOB AND STOP BEING CHEAP!!

This from an unapologetic I'll-download-free-fansubs-without-a-dub supporter? To the extent that shows are not dubbed, it's because of the uncertainty of sales justifying the cost...which is a direct consequence of people like you that resort to fansubs first using any justification at hand, and then presume to make demands of the industry without putting much money into it--if any.

I'd also point to the recent example of Section23 and its new dubbing ventures, but I'm more than half convinced that you're trolling people anyway.

Oh, and also, Nozomi has been sub-only to date. For better or worse, this isn't exactly a surprise.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
unless you have a crappy job meaning you lack knowledge to do anything worthwhile.

You are such an asshat. Have you ever thought people simply CAN'T get good jobs? Not to mention dubbing an anime takes more money than you make in five months at your wage I would assume. Way to make yourself come off as a jerk.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
^It's not a re-release. The tv show has never been released in North America before. God, I'm so happy about this. Anime hyperD

I agree, you could only get this show before as a fan sub. And I prefer the original Japanese audio with subs instead of a horrible English dub.

If the anime companies had listened to the fan base back in the late 80's and early 90's this show would have already been released here, right along with a few other classic shows.

The ADV 10 episode release was not the tv show but the OVA(original video animation) set. Just wanted to mention that too. I bought it when it came out.

Razz Razz Razz
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
trandraskell wrote:
darksharingan wrote:
Not simple? Insult goes here! It's a simple fact that some people prefer dubs and wanna watch dubs.

And besides, Ranma 1/2 and Dragonball started in the 80s but didn't get licensed until 2001 but they still got dubs, so even if an anime is old, doesn't mean it cannot have a strong fanbase and this one does.

Yeah, maybe dubbing it would raise the price of the DVDs but there's one simple way to get around that...GET A JOB AND STOP BEING CHEAP!! They're not very expensive, unless you have a crappy job meaning you lack knowledge to do anything worthwhile.

Okay you about you stop being a wise ass and start to learn to understand that we are getting legal means of watching shows. I grew up watching anime when you could not get a dub.
Any one remember the Project A-ko dub? Also we are in a time where people are losing jobs left and right and also have to take low paying job to make end meet. I agree with the other people how old are you? You seem to not really understand how things work. A lot of time you won't always get what you want.
So if you are not going to by then don't but don't bitch because it not getting a dub, because most of us don't care and we want the series any way we can get it.

I'm an old school collector, been collecting anime since the 1980's, long before you could go buy it at Wal-mart(or any other store).

You should be happy to get it in any format you can. I remember a time when all I could get were raw vhs copies of shows, and I was happy to get them(and I don't speak or understand much Japanese even today!!).

If you really want to see a show it should not matter to you if it is dubbed, subbed or even raw. As long as you get the chance to watch it, but in this case you will get a chance to own it on R1 dvd with subs.

Razz Twisted Evil Razz
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Whoever is modding this thank you. But "big meanyhead" is also very insulting and cuts very deep. Laughing
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I nearly crapped myself when I heard the news.
Let's pray that more older series come out on R1 DVD.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
So....any new on when they're going to put a release date on Antique Bakery? They announced that license at the same time as Junjo Romantica and JR has gotten a release date set for it! Where's AB?

Yep. I'm wondering the same thing. I hope someone from Nozomi see this and gives us a little heads up about the Antique Bakery release. I would be willing to pre-order.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay, first off:

AWESOME, AWESOME news that Dirty Pair: The TV series finally got licensed! I am absolutely stoked. Best news I've heard in a while. This show was one of my favorites to watch back in my anime club days and one of the staplemark shows that defined 80's anime. Thank you Shawne Kleckner and the guys at Rightstuf for bringing this show over! Consider this pre-ordered! Very Happy

Second of all, I've been noticing a big bickering contest over the lack of a dub. As much as it would be nice to have a dub, you all have to consider the costs for doing a dub for a show that will only appeal to a niche audience. Let's also not forget that the original M+E tracks could have degraded to the point where it could be impossible to create a dub without the music and sound effects sounding garbled or muffled or no longer stable for recording.

News like this gives me renewed hope that we'll be able to see more classic anime get its due like Kinnikuman, Cutey Honey, and Dr. Slump.

Again, Rightstuf, you guys are the right stuff! Very Happy Thank you!
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen any of this show. Perhaps I will have to find the first episode fansubbed. If I enjoy it, then I will buy it from RightStuf. They've never done me wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I have no interest in this series, but it's cool to see an older title being licensed. Also very nice for those who really wanted the series--it's definitely a surprise license, something that came out of nowhere.

All the pre-90's shows I'm interested in are pretty niche (in North America at least), even for the time period (such as Ginga Nagareboshi Gin). So basically...the niche inside the "old school" niche inside the entire anime niche. Meaning: no chance of licensing Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10