• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Adds Dirty Pair TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't know a lot about Dirty Pair Anime catgrin + sweatdrop but I hear it contains mecha, which I love, so I definitely want to check it out.

I'm finding that I like a lot of the older stuff, even though I'm kind of a newbie.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I've heard of this a lot but never seen it. This is great news for fans of it though, kudos to them.

Ironically, I recently started blogging the TV series again. Anime smile

Quote:
I never knew all we had over here was OVAs or something though. So it's best to watch this show first actually?

Dirty Pair can be just about be watched in any order you feel like. The first TV episode doesn't really do much in the way of introduction if I recall correctly. So if you wanted to watch one of the OVA episodes (which ADV combined into a 10-episode release over two disc) or one of the titled OVA's or movie first, there should be no problem. You quickly come to understand who Kei and Yuri are and why they are called "Dirty Pair." Anime smile

As for the licensing announcement, as I've been watching this blogging the TV series, I've thought of how I'd like to see this licensed but I doubted it ever would be due to its age and the niche nature of the series. I'm glad it is being picked up and this will be the first RS-licensed anime I'll have purchased in quite some time.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Dark Horse released the first two light novels. Maybe they'll release more once the TV series is released.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
To be honest, I don't know a lot about Dirty Pair Anime catgrin + sweatdrop but I hear it contains mecha, which I love, so I definitely want to check it out.

Um...not that much mecha. Anime smile;;; I just don't want you to have the wrong idea. It is still a fun series though.

Quote:
I'm finding that I like a lot of the older stuff, even though I'm kind of a newbie.

I'm slowly becoming more versed in the classic anime titles. Like everything, there is good and bad from the 80's (or earlier). It is always nifty when some modern anime title makes reference to one of the classics I've seen (whether directly or indirectly or via parody).
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I've heard of this a lot but never seen it. This is great news for fans of it though, kudos to them.

Ironically, I recently started blogging the TV series again. Anime smile

Where do you think one of the places I've heard about it is. Razz

Though, I haven't read any of your blog posts on it yet fully, just scanned. Now I have a reason to go read them completely.

Quote:
I'm slowly becoming more versed in the classic anime titles. Like everything, there is good and bad from the 80's (or earlier). It is always nifty when some modern anime title makes reference to one of the classics I've seen (whether directly or indirectly or via parody).

I'm hoping to slowly become more versed in older titles too. I swear I'm one of the few who's been into anime as long as I have that's never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion. ~_~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
"Wow...this is awesome news! Dirty Pair: Affair on Nolandia was one of the very first anime I ever saw, so I've always had a soft-spot for the franchise."

Ditto that-I still have the Streamline video vhs release of this-it was the first anime feature I ever purchased. What really gets my goat is that I have the entire 24 ep.+2 ova series on R2 dvds that I got a couple of years ago and paid something like $300+ for. Kei and Yuri were the girls that got me into anime-although I admit I always liked Kei better than Yuri. I like both incarnations of DP equally-Flash and originial. Needless to say I just about shit on myself when I heard about this. I remember downloading fansubs of this 6 or 7 years ago that looked and sounded like they were made from 5th generation vhs copies. I'm probally one of the biggest DP fanboys out there-although I'm normally a dub only watcher-in this case I really don't care since I've only seen this either subbed or raw.

Last edited by zrdb on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bathos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Super, super excited for this.

Won't preorder quite yet but I'll definitely remember to do so later this summer.
Mertal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
All well and good.. But what happened to Maria Sama Ga Miteru 4th season that they snapped up eagerly but has YET to release?

I have 1st-3rd season from them and have been eagerly waiting for the 4rth season.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, interesting License. Dirty Pair is one of those properties I've heard a ton about over the years, and am always seeing Fan-Art and such for. But have never actually seen the show (or The Adam Warren comics, that seem to be what really popularized Dirty Pair in the US)

As I love old school sci-fi action romps, I'll be picking this up day one.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
All well and good.. But what happened to Maria Sama Ga Miteru 4th season that they snapped up eagerly but has YET to release?

IIRC it's due later this year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's like we won in Russian Roulette. Maybe now we can discard the Arctic fansubs. Laughing
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Perhaps you are thinking of Bubblegum Crisis? It was released around the same time.

But yeah, this is great news for classic-lovers Very Happy I'll definitely be picking it up if I can find myself some extra income.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I swear I'm one of the few who's been into anime as long as I have that's never seen Neon Genesis Evangelion. ~_~

BLASPHEMY!! There is no time to spare, you much watch it quickly before the angry mob with pitchforks gets here! Laughing

Last edited by Leon Evolon on Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news. It's about time the TV series got picked up. The OAVs and movie have been over here for decades, for crying out loud. I've long been a huge fan of the Lovely Angels.

This is one of the few real classics that never saw the light of day over here. Fun series. I was watching some of the old fansubs recently too.

Thanks for Kei and Yuri, RightStuf!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zeiram

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I bet they paid like 10 dollars for this one.

Ah, the nostalgia. Picture this. Anime Central cosplay competition. Its the 25th anniversary of Dirty Pair. A Kei cosplayer and a rather dang good Mugi cosplay scampers across the stage. 4 guys stand, shout and holler in absolute euphoria counting myself.

About dang time they licensed this. Support it so more old titles might get rescued and or imported.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
...Meh. Pointless license. I'm sure maybe it'll get some sales but...

Oh well. Probably didn't cost them much. Whatever...

I mean, like others said, it's nice to see old stuff get licensed but I gotta be honest, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in this series.

Oh that and I also watched it a couple years ago when it was on Showtime. The TV series and Dirty Pair Flash.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10