• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone ever luck out on finding OOP manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
All this speaking of Excel Saga made me curious, so I checked eBay. There was one listing of Excel Saga 7. I bought it immediately for $3.
^^Sorry dude Embarassed
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
Wooga, nothing to be sorry for. It's awesome to see someone getting this for such a bargain price. Congratulations!
It just shows that i need to keep more tabs open while i'm surfin the intertubes.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to wonder about this actually; I'm seeing signed copies of Steam Detectives showing up. I was under the impression that Kia Asamiya never shows his face, so I can't figure out how they'd be signed.

I was wondering, since I couldn't find it in the ANN encyclopedia, how many volumes of Galaxy Express 999 were released in the USA. Thank you!
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:

I was wondering, since I couldn't find it in the ANN encyclopedia, how many volumes of Galaxy Express 999 were released in the USA. Thank you!

Five volumes, of the second series, not the original.

Quote:
Wooga, nothing to be sorry for. It's awesome to see someone getting this for such a bargain price. Congratulations!
It just shows that i need to keep more tabs open while i'm surfin the intertubes.

Yay! I'm glad you're not bitter...
The thing is, it was listed as volume 5. But I recognized the cover as #7. So I asked the seller and it indeed was #7, mis-listed. Eyes like a hawk Cool
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
Thank you very much! I do wish someone could release the whole set, though.
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
The Amazon Marketplace has actually been very kind to me with OOP manga. As for recent finds, I managed to pick up all three volumes of the Sailor Stars manga (including the first edition of vol. 1 with the original cover) in like-new condition for ~$15 each.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Ahem, hey Wooga, if you're still watching this thread...
i just found Excel Saga, numbers 7 AND 8, on, er, everyonesfavorite(?)onlineauctionsite...ahem, and got'em both for about $26, which includes p&h.

i guess what i'm sayin here is....thanks for the inspiration!
Excels---gotta catch'em all!

.......or, something like that. HAIL IL PALAZZO!!!!
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
Thank you very much! I do wish someone could release the whole set, though.

I don't know if this will help you any, but I've been collecting the original series in French (I know some and am still studying). I've seen the volumes on Amazon France and I know some comic shops in Quebec sell them as well.
vashna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
Aww, thank you very much, but I am not familiar with French really. Though I have heard that Matsumoto is quite popular in Francophone areas; is that true?

You gave me an idea though, and I tried to look for the original Japanese volumes (I never thought to check in one of my secondary languages.) They're really quite expensive sadly.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Aww, thank you very much, but I am not familiar with French really. Though I have heard that Matsumoto is quite popular in Francophone areas; is that true?

You could say so. Albator (Captain Harlock) was one of those cartoons you just had to watch in the eighties. It grew from there, I guess. I doubt he's a household name, but I think the avarage French person will atleast recognise his character designs.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
Last year at a con, there was a stall that had most volumes of Kodocha for sale. I ended up not buying it though, because I wasn't too interested in it anyways and I would've broke my budget. Anime hyper

I don't know how rare Here is Greenwood is nowadays, but I got each volume of it for $5 a book.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
Volume 7 is pretty rare. I grabbed 1-6, 8-9 from a bargain bin for €4 a volume, but it took some time to track down 7...

As for Excel Saga... I bought 2-7 as a set for €30. Last year I found 8 at a convention. It was originally €10, but after some haggling the price came down to €5 Anime smile

Okay, the deal didn't work exactly like that, but it was a good one nonetheless. I had found five manga I wanted in the 3 for €15 bargain bin. After some convincing (and puppy eyes) the stand owner let me use Excel Saga 8 to complete the bargain deal. The other five manga I picked included another OOP title: Ashen Victor Very Happy
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
I'll have to get back to you guys, I'm still looking for Outlanders volume 1. It shouldn't be too hard, it was only printed in '87!

Cool
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Weellll, isn't this all fine & dandy.

Awhile back, i'd posted that i lucked out and found Excel Saga mangas #7 & #8 for cheap. Or so i thought.

i'll admit, i ought to check my email more often than i do, since i found that 3 days ago(i check my email about twice a week), the seller refunded my payment. Why? i wanted to know, so i went to ebay, clicked on the items, and the seller, TOYLET said a couple of things, which basically contradicted themselves. It was either "out of stock", or "damaged" (and they say that they will not sell nor ship items that are damaged. suuurrreee).

Now ebay gave me the option to either accept or deny the claim. i have denied it, and sent messages to the seller that basically said "no, i deny this claim, i want the items, damaged or not. i know that these sell for a higher price than i paid, but it's hardly my fault for seeing their listing at the price offered, a "buy it now" option, and i really want these pieces".

i really hope to hear from the seller soon, and what they have to say. You can bet that i'll post the results as soon as i find out.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
A, A Prime - 6.25

€1,24, hah! Razz

Alright, go ahead and brag. But have you gotten Saikano V.7, yet?

Wooga wrote:
There's one on deepdiscount.com for $7.99

I ordered a copy and it was put on backorder. Crying or Very sad

What I don't get is volumes going OOP for series still being released like Excel Saga. I think Basara was also still being released when volumes went OOP. Was able to get my hands on a copy of V.5 of Lone Wolf & Cub. Now for volume 27.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3