• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: You're Under Arrest Second Season Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
it's a good thing i got the original. it was good. though from this review 2nd season is better. Hopefully sentai will give this one a dub cause this definately needs one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and Ken's mother and stepfather have a brief falling-out.

Wait, I thought spoiler[Ken's father was in love with someone who was in her 20's, which resulted in a storyarc where her (Sena Wakabayashi) attempted to get Ken to call her "mother." So, Ken has a Father and STEPMOTHER.]
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:40 am Reply with quote
I had scrounged around everywhere online for fresh copies of the Animeigo box sets of the original, classic You're Under Arrest series as well as the ADV mini-specials, just finished watching it all, and found it well worth the money (I've long had the movie). It helped that I'm a Kosuke Fujishima fan, and this series had wonderful characters and just the right amount of humor and action, and here Theron affirms that as a fan I'll definitely still like this new series from Sentai. So now I'm ready to purchase the subbed releases, with hopes in the future that they'll produce dubs for them, because the Animeigo dubs were actually quite lively and good for their time.

Quote:
In surprisingly effective dramatic fashion, it forces Miyuki to take on Saori as her new partner and confront the nature of her relationship with Natsumi. It also forces her to examine where her romantic feelings might lie as she seems to consider an option other than Ken.

Is a yuri relationship being implied here, or am I just jumping to conclusions from the wording? Although Miyuki and Natsumi were often depicted 'together' in past posters, they came across to me as a clear-cut hetero couple with a strong emotional bond. Of course, I wouldn't be totally against it if it was the case.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Is a yuri relationship being implied here, or am I just jumping to conclusions from the wording? Although Miyuki and Natsumi were often depicted 'together' in past posters, they came across to me as a clear-cut hetero couple with a strong emotional bond. Of course, I wouldn't be totally against it if it was the case.

Tagalog dub of the first season had Pinky Rebucas and Kathyin "Teng" Masilungan as Natsumi and Miyuki. They had previously played Utena and Anthy. Coincidence or acknowledging the subtext? I'd have to lean towards coincidence considering what happened to the Tagalog dub of Marimite (stopped at ep. 8), which also had Teng in the cast as Youko Mizuno.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Quote:

Wait, I thought spoiler[Ken's father was in love with someone who was in her 20's, which resulted in a storyarc where her (Sena Wakabayashi) attempted to get Ken to call her "mother." So, Ken has a Father and STEPMOTHER.]

Yeah, I carelessly got those backwards and will correct it.

pachy_boy wrote:

YUA is slightly annoying on this front, as its advertising art seems to suggest this (particularly for the third season!) but you never get that vibe from them while the episodes are actually playing out. No, the romantic entanglements in the series are purely opposite-gender. . . well, except for Aoi, though that is, of course, more a technicality. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
No, the romantic entanglements in the series are purely opposite-gender. . . well, except for Aoi, though that is, of course, more a technicality. Wink

Is it just me, or does every character named "Futaba" have the same technicality?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, I carelessly got those backwards and will correct it.

No problem, just did a double take when I saw it.

pachy_boy wrote:

Is a yuri relationship being implied here, or am I just jumping to conclusions from the wording?

YUA: Full Throttle seems to be implying it.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

End credit yuri is about as bad as promo art yuri.
Airforce1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
it's a good thing i got the original. it was good. though from this review 2nd season is better. Hopefully sentai will give this one a dub cause this definately needs one.

Defiantly needs a dub, agreed. I think the voice actors in the first one were great. Doubtful they will be the same if they ever do a dub.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

....says the guy with an avatar of two semi-yuri characters in it. Razz
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

It's ironic considering You're Under Arrest: Full Throttle and Burst Angel share the same director. But between the two series, I believe the latter definitely had subtext.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

They're full-yuri in the prequel manga!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Airforce1 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Defiantly needs a dub, agreed. I think the voice actors in the first one were great. Doubtful they will be the same if they ever do a dub.

I 100% agree with you. After waiting years for the second and third season to be licensed, there is no English audio. Although sometimes slightly over the top, this series was exceptionally enjoyable during the first season. Action, drama, slice of life and fasinating characters.

But none of that matters now, since there isn't any English audio. Its just not the same and very much a hassle to have to read and watch at the same time. Hopefully sometime in the future both the second and third seasons receive an English audio track, but since this series was licensed but Sentai, I don't think that will happen for either quite some time or not until the license expires.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
This show is a decade old at this point. Honestly, I think we're just lucky enough to get them at all, and a dub may just be wishful thinking. If the first season and specials had been very successful, then either ADV or Animeigo would have picked it up long ago aqnd dubbed it.

And once the license expires on these, I think the chances of these geting picked up and dubbed are even lower. They'll be almost 20 years old at that point.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
The review wrote:
It also forces her to examine where her romantic feelings might lie as she seems to consider an option other than Ken.

That's a feeling I didn't really get myself, partially because, I think, Miyuki only sought out Daimaru's newest worker (I don't remember his name) for some emotional support because he happened to be close by as Miyuki finally broke down. (And ken "just happened" to be there to watch this event, which lead to the whole misunderstanding they ran for many, MANY episodes. -_-;; )

Honestly, the last story arc kind of annoyed me, because they just HAD to go with the "accidentally overhearing and wildly overreacting" scene with Ken in a show based on a manga by Kosuke Fujishima. (Where everyone is fiercely loyal, even if they can't "spit it out".) Trust me; as soon as the whole crap started, I KNEW that Miyuki wasn't going to go for someone else, and I KNEW they were going to torture Ken about it until the show saw fit to restore the status quo. And I also knew that spoiler[Ken's plan to give Miyuki the ring he bought was going to meet with ridiculous, ridiculous failure before I even saw it happen]. Now, all this is a point of opinion, of course, but I strongly disagree that a lighthearted comedy (with some occasional lightly serious drama) needs to suddenly delve into great angst and heavy-handed drama. You're Under Arrest needs this as little as Aria would; which is to say not at all. If the show is going stale, better to just give it a nice closure, then, than having to resort to going against what the show is about in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2