• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why does so much anime seem so depressing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
You might want to listen to the first six minutes of this ANNcast, where Justin and Zac's discussion ties in to this topic rather nicely.

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-11-12
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
On the topic of bitter sweet, for me atleast, if I watched too much bittersweet I tend to get a bit depressed, though I am getting better. I think it is a difference in media, anime loves drama, and exces drama can be depressing. Even a light series like kanamemo starts with the kid left homeless after last relative dies. Or a kids movie like Spirited Away has her leaving and most probably never seeing those friends again. Or even an extremely fun show like Azumanga-daioh, I have heard a large amount of people (including myself) actually cry at the end because it is over.
ven0m57

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
On the topic of bitter sweet, for me atleast, if I watched too much bittersweet I tend to get a bit depressed, though I am getting better. I think it is a difference in media, anime loves drama, and exces drama can be depressing. Even a light series like kanamemo starts with the kid left homeless after last relative dies. Or a kids movie like Spirited Away has her leaving and most probably never seeing those friends again. Or even an extremely fun show like Azumanga-daioh, I have heard a large amount of people (including myself) actually cry at the end because it is over.

I know exacly how you feal and i think you put what I've been trying to explain perfectly.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Not all anime is depressing. To me, Ranma 1/2 is an anime that is not at all depressing. But it sounds like you're talking about being depressed when you see the ending of a good anime. I can understand that, it's one of those "Wow that was great! No way, it's over." But you'll get over it. Give it time you can always watch it again.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
really? I think most anime is perky.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
ven0m57 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

I know exacly how you feal and i think you put what I've been trying to explain perfectly.

Well, I can't say that I'd like it much if anime was all super sweet, sugary, happy time and there was no strife, conflict, or death. I might as well stick to domestic animation if I want that as we here in the US have mastered the art of the "safety net". With the net in place as it usually is, you can assume certain things about character deaths and that certain subject will never ever be spoken of, let alone shown happening. In short it adds a level of predictability to the story and when I can predict what's going to happen, and consistently be right, it's boring to watch.

Part of why I like anime because you can never be sure whether that "safety net" is in place or not so events unfold less predictably. In addition, there is a greater variety of animated programs, and certain genres, like action, drama, and horror, can't be done without breaking some proverbial eggs.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
From the impression I've gotten there's comedy anime out there, but they either tend to be frat-boy humor oriented pieces that don't generally get alot of acclaim or intermediate-to-advanced pieces that require knowledge of hardcore otaku culture or Japanese humor in general to truly appreciate.

I find that the anime in my collection that I tend to rewatch most often are dramedies, and I haven't seen descriptions of any outright comedies that have grabbed my attention aside from Ouran - which I consider an "intermediate" anime which is much funnier if you already have one or two reverse harem anime or manga under your belt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2